IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, pongo said:

Unconscious humour? Since the wise man suffers fools gladly.

Either way, it's a cliché which never works in the first person. It's not something people can say of themselves surely.

The Ancient Greek aphorism "know thyself" is one of the Delphic maxims and was the first of three maxims inscribed in the pronaos (forecourt) of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi according to the Greek writer Pausanias. The two maxims that followed "know thyself" were "nothing to excess" and "surety brings ruin". In Latin the phrase, "know thyself," is given as nosce te ipsum or temet nosce.

The maxim, or aphorism, "know thyself" has had a variety of meanings attributed to it in literature, and over time, as in early ancient Greek the phrase meant "know thy measure."

Nice diversion.

Another Ancient Greek proverb:

"If the UK economy sneezes the IOM catches a cold"

We cannot discard the term "lunatics taking over the asylum" whilst we still have Black, Robinson and Longworth still in post.

Those three alone entirely justify the expression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Southfork said:

Manufacturing especially there are no replacement jobs. The job centre is now discussing re training a load of them as they cant find alternative employment. 

Send them to teapot he says the economy is booming and loads of jobs, I am sure he will sort them out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Send them to teapot he says the economy is booming and loads of jobs, I am sure he will sort them out!

Taking the Southfork approach of just making shit up eh? I haven't said the economy is booming, just that it seems to be doing pretty well all things considered, I mean most of the world shut down. And there are quite a lot of jobs, I am genuinely surprised at how things have gone. You are so preposterously negative. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Taking the Southfork approach of just making shit up eh? I haven't said the economy is booming, just that it seems to be doing pretty well all things considered, I mean most of the world shut down. And there are quite a lot of jobs, I am genuinely surprised at how things have gone. You are so preposterously negative. 

You and you’re sidekick pongo are always going on about how well the island is doing, places packed etc. I don’t think you realize there’s more to the economy than building and a few busy pubs.

Just now, Banker said:

You and you’re sidekick pongo are always going on about how well the island is doing, places packed etc. I don’t think you realize there’s more to the economy than building and a few busy pubs.

We're a consumer society. The western world is all about making sure people spend money. People are spending money. 

It's entirely possible I'm wrong and everything is fucked, like you think, but I really hope that isn't the case and from what I can see it isn't.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

We're a consumer society. The western world is all about making sure people spend money. People are spending money. 

It's entirely possible I'm wrong and everything is fucked, like you think, but I really hope that isn't the case and from what I can see it isn't.

Perhaps a question for the Treasury Minister when they finally decide to get back to work amid this crisis.

What has been the nett cost to the Treasury (tax payer) since lockdown restrictions were imposed?

Just now, Nom de plume said:

Perhaps a question for the Treasury Minister when they finally decide to get back to work amid this crisis.

What has been the nett cost to the Treasury (tax payer) since lockdown restrictions were imposed?

Be a good question, doubt you'd get an honest answer. And the impacts on the common purse won't be seen for quite some time. Bet that salary support scheme has cost an absolute fortune though, some firms will have ripped the piss out of that.

21 minutes ago, Banker said:

Of course there is. The economy is ticking along nicely. Pigs on the Wing had around 700 people in the Villa. Every pub and restaurant I walked past in Douglas was heaving. That is people spending money on a large scale. 

If we end up having to lock down again, the economy is knackered. 

Jersey needed tourism. About one third of the economically active population of Jersey work in tourism and hospitality. Jersey government were in a desperate situation. I see they listed five new cases yesterday. It is just a matter of time........

42 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Of course there is. The economy is ticking along nicely. Pigs on the Wing had around 700 people in the Villa. Every pub and restaurant I walked past in Douglas was heaving. That is people spending money on a large scale. 

If we end up having to lock down again, the economy is knackered. 

Jersey needed tourism. About one third of the economically active population of Jersey work in tourism and hospitality. Jersey government were in a desperate situation. I see they listed five new cases yesterday. It is just a matter of time........

Another one who knows nothing of the problems the wider economy is having, a few busy pubs etc is not the economy and is in fact a very small part. Come the winter those pubs will be empty ex weekend.

jersey opened up more to allow more freedom and business travel which is the reason Guernsey are also moving in that direction 

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

Another one who knows nothing of the problems the wider economy is having, a few busy pubs etc is not the economy and is in fact a very small part. Come the winter those pubs will be empty ex weekend.

jersey opened up more to allow more freedom and business travel which is the reason Guernsey are also moving in that direction 

Honestly mate, I think the time has come to stop expending energy on these people.

They’ve not grasped it, likely never will.

You, I and many others who have an understanding of the real world have pretty much conveyed our points over & over again.

They are in a comfortable little bubble where if the pub seems busy life is good.

It would be so nice to live so carefree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Apple said:

As far as I know John Wright sits on the Mental Health tribunals and so is suitably placed to make informed judgements about what goes and what doesn't any more. I support that.

Interesting to note then the flouncy post above that suggests Mr Wright has participated in threads which took the mickey and suggested certain posters have mental health issues. It’s a shame the poster seems to have got banned before posting links to the alleged content. Or if they are not banned maybe they can post links? 

Edited by Southfork