IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

Don't plan on going on anywhere soon (copied form a well-known aviation website).  As these start-dates seem to change every 10 days or so one could be suspicious that Mr Toad is slipping the inside story to the airlines.  We can keep our Alcatraz status for a few more months; the inmates will be delighted.

Looks like easyJet are changing things again, flights are showing in the system but not available to book - the next available flights to book are as follows

Liverpool - 14 December 2020

London Gatwick- 27th October 2020

Bristol - 29 March 2021

Belfast - 29 March 2021

Manchester - 14th December 2020

London Luton - 28th March 2021

Aer Lingus remains unchanged

Dublin - 25th October 2020

Loganair pushed back EDI by 2 months

Edinburgh- 2nd November 2020

Aurigny

Air Corridor to Guernsey ends 19th September 2020

No Update on LGW

Doesn’t look good for airport workers, taxi drivers or the economy but there will be a number on here happy with that news 

58 minutes ago, Banker said:

Interested to hear if Howie & other comin members along with other senior figures like Wrighty will be stopping their student children returning at Xmas like Down & Cambon advocate.

Can't speak for Comin, but personally I'll leave it up to the kids to decide.  I don't think my eldest will be coming back Christmas as she'll be working.  Middle child may or may not do so - if he does, and has to isolate for a couple of weeks so be it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Can't speak for Comin, but personally I'll leave it up to the kids to decide.  I don't think my eldest will be coming back Christmas as she'll be working.  Middle child may or may not do so - if he does, and has to isolate for a couple of weeks so be it.

Yeah thats possible. Our little angel came back a few weeks ago. Isolated in her room for 2 weeks then beetled back to Uni. Weekend tips to see Mommy and Daddy are out though

2 hours ago, Banker said:

As if that’s going to happen in any family!! Please stay away on your own in a flat with no friends or family at Xmas for 3 /4 weeks , what sort of loser parents would do that?

Don't most students get jobs in the holidays? Especially at Christmas.

Or perhaps you could go and stay with them. Or close by.

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m sure the info is gathered and will be being used to assess.

Whether the public would understand, or  is qualified to interpret, the raw numbers, is another question entirely.

But yes, the info should be freely available, along with the number of weekly arrivals broken down by category, returning patient, returning resident ( further broken down by repatriation or temporary off island ), compassionate, new resident, key worker, exemption certificate, guernsey air corridor

Information presented to the public in a fashion all us dumbo's can understand is the right thing to do surely, as you indicated. 

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Not knowing and making up because you like gossip and are a conspiracy theorist is no more dangerous than being given the figures and misinterpreting them because you aren’t qualified and are a conspiracy theorist.

Possibly?

To be honest I have read so many different view and theories from people who seem to be 'in the know' and what it all means, some of them on here, that frankly I do not believe many so called 'experts' really have a grasp of the situation, what the figures represent and the best way forward. It seems like a  urinating competition at times. But I agree with your other post, more information from those making the decisions should be available. This makes me wonder why it isn't.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, pongo said:

Don't most students get jobs in the holidays? Especially at Christmas.

Or perhaps you could go and stay with them. Or close by.

Some do & some don’t, most come home at Xmas in my experience.

also don’t think many would want cost & hassle of taking family to UK for one child when much easier for them to come home &?do 7 days isolation.

Edited by Banker

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Some do & some don’t, most come home at Xmas in my experience.

also don’t think many would want cost & hassle of taking family to UK for one child when much easier for them to come home &?do 7 days isolation.

Yes that's right. And what about reading week, long weekends etc

3 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Exactly, I do not want my children to become neurotic and scared. I want them and other young people to enjoy their youth. This is going to go on for a long time and to deny a large section of the population who are not going to be affected to any great degree their freedom, is unrealistic, naive and some may say cruel. It is up to the government and those who are vulnerable to take responsibility for their own safety without restricting others. Neither I or my elderly vulnerable relatives believe that the 'cure' is worth the potential consequences to our youth. 

When folk are in care homes then they are totally reliant on the home to keep them safe. And as we have seen some care homes have been ravaged.

Which brings me to another aspect of this open the borders business - carers of all kinds, medical, social etc are the people who will be impacted by the potential fallout of a big rise in COVID. If we get to the level where cases are rising like the UK are the carers expected to isolate with their patients/charges in the event of a lockdown with the most vulnerable? If they have the same rights of access to/from UK (or anywhere else for that matter) then they will be expected to self-isolate on return with minimum of 14 days? That being the case the cost of care will rise as there won't be enough carers around to cover for those who isolate.

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

When folk are in care homes then they are totally reliant on the home to keep them safe. And as we have seen some care homes have been ravaged.

Which brings me to another aspect of this open the borders business - carers of all kinds, medical, social etc are the people who will be impacted by the potential fallout of a big rise in COVID. If we get to the level where cases are rising like the UK are the carers expected to isolate with their patients/charges in the event of a lockdown with the most vulnerable? If they have the same rights of access to/from UK (or anywhere else for that matter) then they will be expected to self-isolate on return with minimum of 14 days? That being the case the cost of care will rise as there won't be enough carers around to cover for those who isolate.

An understandable argument that raises logistical questions that I do not have an answer for, however I would appreciate it if time and effort went into solving these sort of issues rather than the blunt instrument currently favoured by government that restricts the liberty of the many for the few.

• Like 1

Does anyone know where Howie & co get the figures of 1 in 5000 cases in UK to allow level 3 in Isle of Man? He says it’s 1/2000 now 
most countries across the world operate on a rate of x to 100,000 including Channel Islands.

Guernsey operate cut off of 30 in 100000 so c1/3300 see link. And say UK are nearing that but according to Howie UK are at 50/100000 so where does he get figures from & why are they different to what everyone else uses?

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/09/08/northern-england-and-the-west-midlands-could-become-group-a-if-covid-cases-do-not-fall/

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Does anyone know where Howie & co get the figures of 1 in 5000 cases in UK to allow level 3 in Isle of Man? He says it’s 1/2000 now 
most countries across the world operate on a rate of x to 100,000 including Channel Islands.

Guernsey operate cut off of 30 in 100000 so c1/3300 see link. And say UK are nearing that but according to Howie UK are at 50/100000 so where does he get figures from & why are they different to what everyone else uses?

Remind me not to use your financial services.

Thanks...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The figures are the ones released by the ons weekly. 1:5000 is the same as 20:100000 so just work it out.

Well these are the official rates with UK at 35.2 https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

No one including Howie mates Guernsey except Iom seems to use ONS figures which differ greatly from official statistics and wondered why we are only country using this method?

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/09/08/northern-england-and-the-west-midlands-could-become-group-a-if-covid-cases-do-not-fall/

And whats his plan if the UK doesn't get to 1:5000 for 5 years?