IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

What about those who then get severe mental issues from losing jobs, don’t worry we saved a few 90 years old for 3 months more

But you should worry about ANY unnecessary fatalities.

The fact you clearly don't means you have "issues" shall we say...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

But you should worry about ANY unnecessary fatalities.

The fact you clearly don't means you have "issues" shall we say...

Far too simplistic PK, almost like the guy on R4 this morning who almost said that 1 death from covid is 1 too many, and that if anyone at all dies from it it shows the government response has been incompetent.  Was it you?

In any public health crisis decisions have to be made that consider the greater good as the outcome, not 'all deaths can be avoided'.  On a weekly basis here I'm seeing patients who are far worse off than they would have been if we'd have not had a hospital lock down.  And I'm a glorified carpenter, and the IOM position with regard to getting back to routine healthcare is far better than yours.  Colleagues in other specialties, particularly in the UK, are seeing patients who are literally going to die, from cancer for example, because covid prevented them being treated in a timely fashion.  My own mother could have been in that situation - back in March she was given the option of surgery (but we're worried about covid so perhaps don't!) or putting off treatment until god knows when, by which time she may have been incurable.  Fortunately she had the benefit of my surgical mentality advising her to 'just cut it out' and it's all been fine.  Others have not been so lucky.

So there are going to be increased fatalities whatever you do.  You may consider them all to be unnecessary, like the guy on R4 who thought nobody should die, ever.  But it ain't that simple, and people that don't agree with you don't necessarily have 'issues' as you so snidely put it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Far too simplistic PK, almost like the guy on R4 this morning who almost said that 1 death from covid is 1 too many, and that if anyone at all dies from it it shows the government response has been incompetent.  Was it you?

In any public health crisis decisions have to be made that consider the greater good as the outcome, not 'all deaths can be avoided'.  On a weekly basis here I'm seeing patients who are far worse off than they would have been if we'd have not had a hospital lock down.  And I'm a glorified carpenter, and the IOM position with regard to getting back to routine healthcare is far better than yours.  Colleagues in other specialties, particularly in the UK, are seeing patients who are literally going to die, from cancer for example, because covid prevented them being treated in a timely fashion.  My own mother could have been in that situation - back in March she was given the option of surgery (but we're worried about covid so perhaps don't!) or putting off treatment until god knows when, by which time she may have been incurable.  Fortunately she had the benefit of my surgical mentality advising her to 'just cut it out' and it's all been fine.  Others have not been so lucky.

So there are going to be increased fatalities whatever you do.  You may consider them all to be unnecessary, like the guy on R4 who thought nobody should die, ever.  But it ain't that simple, and people that don't agree with you don't necessarily have 'issues' as you so snidely put it.

Of course it's simplistic. But KISS wins every time to get the point across.

I fully understand the moral dilemma and don't need to be lectured on it.

The point is we're not talking single figures here if Covid gets back into the population at large and we all know it. Being a small island has big advantages in the situation we are in. However it also has disadvantages around the amount of available medical resources for example.

There's nothing snide about pointing out a lack of human empathy is a very strong indicator of issues "upstairs" shall we say. I'm a bit surprised no-one tried to blame that on the isolation tbh.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yes, but are those being laid off employed by IOMG?

No they aren’t I think they work for Menzies etc so employed by a private business. IOMG will never, ever, lay anyone off even if that means paying people to do sod all for years. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Absolute rubbish, 10/12 local cabin crew lost job in flybe demise, they had no local base and no airport workers lost jobs so do some research!!

the unemployment figures will be going up next few months from airport workers, finance sector, hospitality workers etc but don’t worry you say economy is doing well so I’m sure you will have words of comfort for them 

Wrong again, banker. Flybe had quite a few staff over here. Yes they Also had engineering and ground staff. But also affected were Menzies ground staff, aircraft cleaners, baggage handlers, management, etc. It adds up to one hell of a lot of people for 8 -12 flights a day. 

They went under before Covid had any real effect. Once lockdown happened, we lost BA to LCY, AL to DUB and EasyJet to LPL and LGW, but gained  the Loganair routes. So the airport is about 20 flights down per week from Covid. Keeping in mind private flights, ambulances and charters, the airport is actually still nearly as busy as it was before, with the exception of baggage handlers and certain other ground staff in the actual airport. 

Yes, the unemployment figures will go up, but I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as you seem to think. 

There are always job losses and there are always new job opportunities.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Watching the TV this morning you get the impression that the UK is genuinely in some sort of meltdown spiral and that so many people actually want a second wave and for further lockdowns to happen in order to pretty much validate their entire existence and beliefs. How did they manage to brain wash so many people in positions of authority to buy into the fact that the answer is so many stupid and unenforceable rules and restrictions? Even every tinpot local council now seems to think they've been press ganged into the covid frontline and have to lock down peoples lives with zero tolerance as Public Health England seems to have brainwashed everyone to join the cause. Sorry to read about your mother you must be pleased you took the right approach. As you say so many are now in the position that they’re screwed - and many not only know they’re going to die but also that there’s a good chance that they’re going to die alone without their family around them due to ever increasing restrictions and controls. It’s just cruel and inhuman. A proper human shit-show to look forward in your last few weeks or months on earth. The whole situation is badly screwed up already and it’s going get worse when the furlough is pulled back as that’s when the real personal despair is going to hit many millions of people who are just about holding it together currently hoping that their lives will return to normal and their job will just be handed back to them like nothing ever happened. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, snowman said:

Lancashire next

They'll slowly add more and more places purely to avoid the "UK lockdown 2" headlines. But it's coming. Key agencies and people have been briefed. 

Forget unrestricted travel

Merseyside, W Midlands and N Yorkshire added.

Relaxation of travel between IOM and UK is a long way off.

3 minutes ago, snowman said:

Merseyside, W Midlands and N Yorkshire added.

Whoopee you must be so pleased! It’s all coming true for the doom mongers! Hopefully another unneeded national lockdown next and you can all have a good warm glow about that as well as another few million peoples lives get destroyed in the wake. 

• Like 1