IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

It is this with bells on & nobody can realistically argue against it.

We must get on now with the absolute focus on protecting the vulnerable.

It really is that simple.

We know who it hits & how to deal with it.

So how do you deal with the finite number of care workers and nursing staff, in the event of CV getting into the community? Serious question.

34 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and ability..."

Keeping the borders as they are can in no way be described as an "extreme view".

It's just commonsense....

It’s the extreme views on deaths which bear no resemblance to reality, probability is more will die from other causes because of lack of medical care caused by hospitals etc being locked down 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So how do you deal with the finite number of care workers and nursing staff, in the event of CV getting into the community? Serious question.

I don't have that answer I'm afraid. Way above my pay grade.

We have to move on but mitigate risk. I still believe the Jersey model is potentially safer. At least everyone tested (despite the risks of incubation) gives us more of a chance.

I was out the other day and overheard two guys chatting. One asked if the others wife had returned from the UK last week and was she isolating. He said yes she was back but back in the bedroom with him right away. It's not a safe way of doing things.

46 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

One more person wishing they hadn't stumped up fifty quid for a test today then....

Yes but not surprising to have another now we are actually testing people. Before we tested nobody and amazingly nobody was found positive! But they’ve also admitted the previous guy who tested positive was allowed to pay for two more tests at which he tested negative twice and has now been allowed to leave the IOM on medical advice. So clearly the test was a false positive. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But aren’t key workers immune from covid-19? None of the normal rules that seem to apply to everyone else seems to apply to key workers so I assumed that it’s been proven somewhere that it’s impossible for them to catch it so they’ll just carry on which is what seemed to happen at Abbotswood.

Seriously though the care homes aren’t the weak link or the main concern - the weak link seems to be the actual checking of people to ensure they’re actually self isolating. As if everyone self isolates as required (which is said to be the “gold standard”) the risk of community transmission is very very minimal. But it’s clear that despite having months to tighten it all up and draft more people in it’s still an honesty based system largely enforced by public snitchers grassing on people - not by the people who actually seem to be employed to police the system. In fact I don’t think there has been one case yet of a covid breach actually being discovered by the people who are employed to find covid breaches. All have been public calls to the 111 snitch line. Until this is tightened up via more physical checks on what private citizens and key workers are doing over the 14 days and more active testing  I wouldn’t be that bothered about care home risks. You’re right though if it hits the population the care homes are going to be very short staffed but if we actually threw the full resource at monitoring and testing during self isolation it’s going to better manage the risk of community transmission in the first place. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

There should be no need to further restrict the borders, just fucking check up on people. How hard can it be? I'll do all of Castletown for them if they want, just give me a list of names, addresses and dates, keep refreshing it each day and I'll go round to everyone a couple of times a day with a clipboard. Get other people doing it in other towns, its not fucking difficult, and its not expensive, and it would be of great reassurance to the general public, which is the most important thing here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There should be no need to further restrict the borders, just fucking check up on people. How hard can it be? I'll do all of Castletown for them if they want, just give me a list of names, addresses and dates, keep refreshing it each day and I'll go round to everyone a couple of times a day with a clipboard. Get other people doing it in other towns, its not fucking difficult, and its not expensive, and it would be of great reassurance to the general public, which is the most important thing here.

You’d probably do it after 5pm and at weekends too. As I said above it’s the weakest link and we’ve had months to deal with it and resource it and yet it’s still left to the public to shop people instead which is no real effective system at all. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The day after we got back we had a call at 19:52 to make sure we were self-isolating.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was that....

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

You’d probably do it after 5pm and at weekends too. As I said above it’s the weakest link and we’ve had months to deal with it and resource it and yet it’s still left to the public to shop people instead which is no real effective system at all. 

Of course I would. Standard day rate, not by hour or anything, no extras for Sundays, go out and give someone a knock at 10pm no problem. Its for everyones benefit. And its really really easy.

• Like 2