IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I noted Guernsey have taken ownership of the latest testing hardware in preparation of their move to Level 5C (testing on entry).

It would seem they are still giving serious consideration to moving up the levels despite the problems within the UK.

They will adopt a traffic light system similar to Jersey in which arrivals from certain countries will be allowed unrestricted movement following a negative test on entry (further test on 5 or 7 days).

Perhaps Mr. Quayle will be providing the Manx people with an update on the procurement of such equipment here & their plans for implementation.

Yes everyone has a plan whether you agree with it or not . 
we don’t have a plan at all!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeliX said:

Suggesting that young men being full of testosterone and enjoying driving quickly despite not having the experience necessary to do so also means that they'll ignore lockdown rules is a bit tenuous.

Don't you know any youngsters?

They're reckless and stupid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-52286369

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'll be a bit annoyed if they go back to level 5, they've had quite enough time to put a proper working system in place. It was the right approach the first time round and gave the breathing space to plan. If they just revert to it what it shows is that they've done fuck all.

The system in place seems to be working well.

If it ain't broke....

21 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I noted Guernsey have taken ownership of the latest testing hardware in preparation of their move to Level 5C (testing on entry).

It would seem they are still giving serious consideration to moving up the levels despite the problems within the UK.

They will adopt a traffic light system similar to Jersey in which arrivals from certain countries will be allowed unrestricted movement following a negative test on entry (further test on 5 or 7 days).

Perhaps Mr. Quayle will be providing the Manx people with an update on the procurement of such equipment here & their plans for implementation.

I wonder then, at what point the whole of the UK becomes a red traffic light?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'll be a bit annoyed if they go back to level 5, they've had quite enough time to put a proper working system in place. It was the right approach the first time round and gave the breathing space to plan. If they just revert to it what it shows is that they've done fuck all.

It seems unlikely that a significant announcement, such as a return to lockdown border level 5, would occur in a briefing dubbed as ‘a general update’. Then again, with this government’s penchant for very dodgy communications, who knows.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

The system in place seems to be working well.

If it ain't broke....

It works -  to a point. 

What it achieves is that our internal mechanism can operate without face masks, essentially. In general terms on a recent UK trip, that was ostensibly the only difference it made to us. There needs to be a big reset on the hospitality side still, as I do think it is those prolonged mass gatherings that are significantly contributing to transmission. But on the whole, the world is still spinning.

OK, so back home things like the superb food and drink festival couldn’t have taken place, but look at all the questions now being asked about students coming home for breaks. I know long haul pilots that call the island home are really struggling with finding the balance now. One guy has had to endure 28 days lockdown for four days flying. His choice to live here you might say, but IOMG are of course grateful for their 20% of his hefty salary. If this policy of locking ourselves away from the rest of the world is going to persist then I think it is going to do us more long term damage, and it’s not going to take long for that to start to impact.

Lets hope for something pragmatic and based on some proper risk management this afternoon. 

9 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’ve sired several of them. I’m just not sure that you seem to grasp that actually students are quite responsible. 

No they are not. I realise there is always a Tabitha who sits quietly in her room and is mostly sensible, but students quite responsible? No way. Not in the context of Covid-19.

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

Suggesting that young men being full of testosterone and enjoying driving quickly despite not having the experience necessary to do so also means that they'll ignore lockdown rules is a bit tenuous.

It's not tenuous at all. It's about spot on. They are more likely to be dickheads too. And don't care about anyone else.

15 hours ago, HeliX said:

I have a suggestion for why. Men are more likely to be dickheads who don't care about anyone else.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

OK, so back home things like the superb food and drink festival couldn’t have taken place, but look at all the questions now being asked about students coming home for breaks. I know long haul pilots that call the island home are really struggling with finding the balance now. One guy has had to endure 28 days lockdown for four days flying. His choice to live here you might say, but IOMG are of course grateful for their 20% of his hefty salary. If this policy of locking ourselves away from the rest of the world is going to persist then I think it is going to do us more long term damage, and it’s not going to take long for that to start to impact.

Lets hope for something pragmatic and based on some proper risk management this afternoon. 

The long haul pilots are an interesting case in point. But I can't help thinking that their choice of domicile might have something to do with IOMG taking ONLY 20% of their hefty salary as opposed to elsewhere. If they're prepared to tolerate the self-isolation then they must think it's worth it.

Hospitality has taken a big hit but to turn it around would probably need open borders. Compare that to their contribution to the common purse and it's clearly not worth it.

Dark and difficult times....

Edited by P.K.
Poor grammar

10 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’ve sired several of them. I’m just not sure that you seem to grasp that actually students are quite responsible. 

Students are students:

Covid in Scotland: Hundreds of Dundee students told to isolate

35 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It works -  to a point. 

What it achieves is that our internal mechanism can operate without face masks, essentially. In general terms on a recent UK trip, that was ostensibly the only difference it made to us. There needs to be a big reset on the hospitality side still, as I do think it is those prolonged mass gatherings that are significantly contributing to transmission. But on the whole, the world is still spinning.

Agree, we just need a proper plan to move on with risk based assessment. 
Whether you agree with Jersey or Guernsey approach they are assessing based on risks and we need something similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Don't you know any youngsters?

They're reckless and stupid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-52286369

I know many  youngsters, and some of them are stupid. About the same proportion as adults who are stupid. As is supported by the "evidence" you've provided. Half the people named in that news story are middle aged.