IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

The first search hit I get is Australia. Six months. Shall I continue and show you’re just making things up?

Not for stopping for petrol you twit that was for someone who was breaking quarantine multiple times to see girlfriend and go to bars etc which you conveniently forgot to mention!!

• Like 1

I don't know if it has already been asked but does anyone know if we have bought more intensive care equipment for Covid patients?

Did we have 6 beds at the start? How many have we got available now? Not just sitting there but beds or rooms that could be turned into a Covid ITU quickly? I know when you look at our size even 6 beds is far more than the UK per head of population but as they keep telling us when the deaths here are mentioned you cant compare the 2 islands due to our really small size.

Can anybody tell us how many we have now?

4 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Great post Gladys.

The truth is, the original reasoning & justification for lockdown has been lost.

Jersey (I do hate to harp on) have found the compromise.

NHS under zero strain & manageable measures in place to suppress the spread of the virus.

Our plan to get out of this still seems to hinge on a vaccine being found.

I ask anyone the question. Would you pump your kids full of something that hadn’t been tested or developed for at least two years? I wouldn’t.

None of my kids will be having the vaccine. I am not an anti vaxxer they have had their vaccines as babies and what not but like you say pumping them with something that has been rushed through no thanks. That will probably mean we can't go abroad as you will probably need some sort of certificate to show you have been vaccinated but hey ho.

47 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Isn't herd immunity only any good if you retain the antibodies? Evidence would suggest that antibodies only last for 3 months, after that you have to rely on your T cell count to battle the infection? Reinfections have happened, though I haven't seen any data as to the extent of the severity of the reinfection ie hospitalisation and/or deaths. 

Reinfection is very low according to Wrighty,  in double digits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I have already said lockdown was probably the only option in the early stages, and I have already said test, track and isolate has to be the way to go. 

Vaccination is not the only way to go: improvements in treatment (there is research that may be indicative of an interferon failure which makes some people more susceptible, Wrighty will correct me on the science, but what this means is without interferon adequately suppressing the immune response the immune system overreacts causing the severe  symptoms), herd immunity (no matter how offensive you find it) and natural mutation of the virus.   The latter may work for or against us, but it is another unknown. 

Total eradication is not without precedent, ask those idiots in the WHO. 

Even the UK is now waking up to the realities of widespread unemployment and is declaring the “death of the high street”. Most people have had enough of this shite now and are waking up to the fact that they’ve been conned. The numbers have been massively over egged and so have the deaths. Yet at the same time what’s been completely under egged is the wider devastation to peoples lives caused by the lockdowns. People on furlough are now waking up to the fact that furlough hasn’t stopped them losing their jobs. It’s just stopped them losing their job in March rather than losing it in October. As for us - the first case we get (and we will get it, it is just a matter of time) will cause such widespread panic and fear that the psychological impact is going to be devastating and the insularity will just get worse. If we had taken these last 3 or 4 months to get in place better testing and more robust tracing systems and more staff actively monitoring self isolators and transmission risks etc you could see a structured way out of it - but all we’ll get is more threats of jailings (in fact Jurby could well be full at that stage) and more snoopers reporting everyone and anyone and a whole clusterfuck of paranoia and totalitarianism as everyone scurries back in doors bricking themselves. It’s what you get when you create a false bubble and then somebody noisily pops it. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I don't know if it has already been asked but does anyone know if we have bought more intensive care equipment for Covid patients?

Did we have 6 beds at the start? How many have we got available now? Not just sitting there but beds or rooms that could be turned into a Covid ITU quickly? I know when you look at our size even 6 beds is far more than the UK per head of population but as they keep telling us when the deaths here are mentioned you cant compare the 2 islands due to our really small size.

Don’t know but what I do know is that things like cataract operations haven’t started again as my mum has been waiting for 12 months and was told they don’t know when they will get done.

and a number of GPS are still running the system of having to ring on the day if you want an appointment and in most cases only offering telephone ones. However other practices are operating as normal so it’s a bit of a shambles under Ashie 

54 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Equipment isn't really the main issue - it's space and more importantly staffing.  In the first wave of covid here the recovery area of theatre was re-purposed as an ITU, and theatre staff were retrained, to an extent, to be able to function effectively in an ITU.

A couple of months ago the recovery went back to its usual function to allow operating theatres to start running at capacity again.  So currently we have the usual 6 ITU beds, but are back to full theatre capacity, pretty much.  Should we suddenly require lots of ITU beds for covid it will be much quicker than last time to switch from recovery to ITU as the staff training has already been done, and the infrastructure is already in place.

During the first wave of the pandemic we didn't need to use the extended ITU capacity.  The hope is that if we get cases back here then we now know more about it and we shouldn't have the same levels of disease as last time.  But if we do we can revert back to how it was in April very quickly.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

Don’t know but what I do know is that things like cataract operations haven’t started again as my mum has been waiting for 12 months and was told they don’t know when they will get done.

and a number of GPS are still running the system of having to ring on the day if you want an appointment and in most cases only offering telephone ones. However other practices are operating as normal so it’s a bit of a shambles under Ashie

Hopefully these will be subjects for the next presentation later this week, if the journalists are allowed to ask that is. 

Ashford has said that Nobles is now ready for an escalation of cases requiring hospitalisation more or less immediately. Wonder if they will use the newly refurbished private wing, and /or  if anyone has signed to take it over yet?

I need more honest and clarity on the next steps being considered so I can make decisions for what I consider to be in my families best interests.

Edited by Apple
typo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Even the UK is now waking up to the realities of widespread unemployment and is declaring the “death of the high street”. Most people have had enough of this shite now and are waking up to the fact that they’ve been conned. The numbers have been massively over egged and so have the deaths. Yet at the same time what’s been completely under egged is the wider devastation to peoples lives caused by the lockdowns. People on furlough are now waking up to the fact that furlough hasn’t stopped them losing their jobs. It’s just stopped them losing their job in March rather than losing it in October. As for us - the first case we get (and we will get it, it is just a matter of time) will cause such widespread panic and fear that the psychological impact is going to be devastating and the insularity will just get worse. If we had taken these last 3 or 4 months to get in place better testing and more robust tracing systems and more staff actively monitoring self isolators and transmission risks etc you could see a structured way out of it - but all we’ll get is more threats of jailings (in fact Jurby could well be full at that stage) and more snoopers reporting everyone and anyone and a whole clusterfuck of paranoia and totalitarianism as everyone scurries back in doors bricking themselves. It’s what you get when you create a false bubble and then somebody noisily pops it. 

Best thing I did was switch off the TV and social media Can't remember the last time I read or watched briefings and on social media (apart from popping on here every now and then) I just scroll past anything to do with Covid. it really is a good cleansing for your mental health. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Equipment isn't really the main issue - it's space and more importantly staffing.  In the first wave of covid here the recovery area of theatre was re-purposed as an ITU, and theatre staff were retrained, to an extent, to be able to function effectively in an ITU.

A couple of months ago the recovery went back to its usual function to allow operating theatres to start running at capacity again.  So currently we have the usual 6 ITU beds, but are back to full theatre capacity, pretty much.  Should we suddenly require lots of ITU beds for covid it will be much quicker than last time to switch from recovery to ITU as the staff training has already been done, and the infrastructure is already in place.

During the first wave of the pandemic we didn't need to use the extended ITU capacity.  The hope is that if we get cases back here then we now know more about it and we shouldn't have the same levels of disease as last time.  But if we do we can revert back to how it was in April very quickly.  Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I am  disappointed at that to be honest, I thought we may have used the time to employ/ train up more staff and build more ITU space.

I would rather my taxes went doing that than paying someone £75k to be a "Plant Manager" at Ellerslie DOI and tens of other similar well paid jobs in the CS…………………………….

ETA. If we did ever reach full capacity can we ship people off island? Will UK NHS take Covid patients? Or private hospitals in UK?

Edited by Boris Johnson

2 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I am a bit disappointed at that to be honest, I thought we may have used the time to employ/ train up more staff and build more ITU space.

I would rather my taxes went doing that than paying someone £75k to be a "Plant Manager" at Ellerslie DOI and tens of other similar well paid jobs in the CS…………………………….

Where will these staff come from that you want to employ?  It's a global pandemic, we can't import staff from the other side of the world, let alone from the neighbouring isle (where they are desperately short).  We have, in a sense, to make do with what we've got.

• Like 2