IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Still unusual to have twenty deaths in one care home though?

Well similar cases across world unfortunately, however most of them were very elderly with serious underlying health conditions which is why many were too ill to be admitted to hospital.

how Covid-19 got into care home is main question 

1 hour ago, Blackajah said:

Since March, there surely has been ample time for the govt to come up with a strategy for dealing with a community outbreak - ie hopefully, test, trace, lockdown the care/nursing homes in terms of staff and visitors.      So if we do get a few cases, it should be possible to manage without a full lockdown.      Perhaps some thought should be given to what happens if no vaccine is available.  How long do we expect the borders to stay closed/restricted? 1 year, 5? 10? 

As a minimum right now there should be a much more flexible approach to family coming to the island.

At the same time government needs to get it's collective shit together and come up with something better than bottling it until the infection rate is less than 20 in 100000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

As a minimum right now there should be a much more flexible approach to family coming to the island.

At the same time government needs to get it's collective shit together and come up with something better than bottling it until the infection rate is less than 20 in 100000.

Problem is that the pitchfork brigade go mental at the first sign of any easing , you only have to look at Facebook!

Jersey & Guernsey both have proper plans & both islands allow families to visit subject to isolation & testing rules 

• Like 1

Hello, just passing through to put the cat amongst the pigeons with this thread from Twitter. It was RT'd by a good friend of mine (in NYC) who has decades of experience with viruses & epidemiology, so I know it's not covidiot quackery. I'm at work so don't have time to do a deep-dive into the links, but the thread will be of great interest to many here, I'm sure.

For the record, I'm firmly in the camp of wanting the border situation to remain as it is at the moment. I also want to see our university-going youth free to come home either now, or at Christmas (or whenever) provided they have the means to self-isolate (and I think the gov should help them with this if needed). The border situation isn't convienient for me but until we know more about covid, I'm happy enough with the way things are now. Also for the record, I haven't had time lately to keep up with this thread; I'm currently on page 391. If someone has already posted about the issues below, please accept my sincere apologies. :rolleyes:

The discussion below is very relevant to border issues, mask usage and lockdowns. Enjoy, or not, as the case may be.

PS - hope what I C&P'd has a workable link. I'm not very IT literate at the best of times, and certainly not when in a rush.

zeynep tufekci (@zeynep) tweeted at 4:40 pm on Wed, Sep 30, 2020:
️Did you know that *study after study* finds most people don't seem to transmit COVID at all? That a small percent is responsible for almost all infections? That R is not that informative? My new piece on why this may be key to controlling the pandemic. https://t.co/59YgSSHdEZ https://t.co/veHa1BRwMO
(

)

29 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Still unusual to have twenty deaths in one care home though?

What't that got to do with what's being discussed?

Also, given that care homes vaccinate most of their residents against flu.  Do you not think that without a vaccine flu would have the potential to do exactly the same?

7 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Notwithstanding the legal situation I can't believe the Island is short of coded welders......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, P.K. said:

Would you put real numbers around these statements please?

Admittedly it was a while ago now but there were just 14 vehicles on our crossing.

Five more “key workers” sent to Jurby (not sure why, when the others weren’t or why we are paying to keep them in prison when they were due off tonight anyway)

Anyway.  That and the comments already appearing on Facebook where people seem astounded that these people are coming here and being allowed to work from day one, would suggest that a: there are more people travelling in than people realise. B: key workers aren’t just healthcare. 😄 Keyworkers aren’t required to self isolate in the same way others are.

Apply a bit of common sense and open things up a bit for everyone.  Or, if people really want borders closed, close them properly.  This half way house has no logic and is only serving to wind people up.

I predict Facebook will implode over the next couple of hours as people realise how many people are coming in to work and travelling about the place.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Five more “key workers” sent to Jurby (not sure why, when the others weren’t or why we are paying to keep them in prison when they were due off tonight anyway)

Anyway.  That and the comments already appearing on Facebook where people seem astounded that these people are coming here and being allowed to work from day one, would suggest that a: there are more people travelling in than people realise. B: key workers aren’t just healthcare. 😄 Keyworkers aren’t required to self isolate in the same way others are.

Apply a bit of common sense and open things up a bit for everyone.  Or, if people really want borders closed, close them properly.  This half way house has no logic and is only serving to wind people up.

I predict Facebook will implode over the next couple of hours as people realise how many people are coming in to work and travelling about the place.

Put them on next boat back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

There were several UK registered commercial vehicles on boat on Sunday. As I mentioned on another thread there are no announcement on board saying no stopping anywhere etc. also when you have ID checked when disembarked surely they could reiterate no stopping anyway instead if you’re free to go.

i know it’s online etc but how hard is it for authorities to remind arrivals 

• Like 1

The fact the most recent cases of people being caught have been wearing masks in the stores surely indicates they've not understood that they need to immediately self-isolate? If you were intentionally going out, knowing you shouldn't be, you'd not wear a big, flashing sign saying "just got off the boat" in the form of a mask? Or indeed say you'd just got off the boat!!

The rules clearly need reiterating to people. Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact they've been brought in to do a job and would be going to work in the morning - not quite self-isolation, is it.