IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

21 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think added to that people from across don’t know how insular it is here and how the population in general are just covid frenzied curtain-twitchers just waiting to drop people in the shit. They might think “no harm done popping into the Spar for some tinnies nobody will ever know and I’ll wear a mask” and then find out 10 minutes later some snitch has put you in the Jurby Hilton. Even in the wildest Royston Vasey-esque backwater hillbilly towns in the UK they don't expect anyone to actually operate like that and that you’ll actually be jailed for it. The boat needs to have WW2 style pamphlets In bright red typeface all over the place and videos warning people that this place is that psychologically fucked up that if you do anything at all against the rules you will end up in jail. I’m sure many just don’t get it as it’s a completely abnormal situation to be in.

We must have jailed close to 30 people now. That’s getting on for Mugabe levels of zero tolerance. I’m not sure many people from the UK get the general culture of fear of outsiders and totalitarian court system that operates here. 

I can't believe that you think that's true.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A few pages back mention was made (educated opinion) that there is no CV in the community on the Island.  Meanwhile, despite the farcical measures Johnson et al are dreaming up on an almost hourly rate, CV is spreading throughout the UK and probably for the better.

Mr Toad's dream-rate before we move to the next, more eased, level of entry is exactly that, a dream.  What he/we are facing is the Island surrounded by CV but we're alright, Jacks, we don't have it here.

However, this is patently unsustainable.  The Island is in great danger of going the same way as the Amazonian tribes (and North American indians come to that) whereby sudden exposure to external pathogens introduced by settlers/missionaries brought widespread death (not widespread death in our case but you get the drift) due to there being no resistance to these never-before-encountered diseases.

Shelter the care homes, allow the elderly to make their own decisions about 'sheltering' but CV has to be allowed to spread amongst the population.  If Mr Toad and Ashworth think is can be kept at bay , they should be removed from office on mental health grounds.

Edited by Utah 01
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

They should give them a leaflet. Not written in the C.S. speak / legalese of the regulations, but based on case studies. Like this

Danger!!!!

Woman, 36, returning to the Island via the Sea Terminal, stopped for petrol on way home to Ramsey - 4 weeks jail.

5 Welders from Doncaster, aged 18 to 64, bought beer and a McDonalds on way to hotel, 14 days.

Man, 64, went to a homeless charity for a meal after returning to the Island, 4 weeks.

Man, 64, visited bank whilst he should be isloating, 4 weeks.

Woman from Belfast, 60, went shopping on bus when she should have been isloating, 4 weeks.

Man, 48, went to doctors after returning from Thailand, 4 weeks.

Man, 64, went to see a band in a pub during islolation, 4 weeks.

The Island is run by Psychopaths. Don't Risk It.

• Sad 1

Guernsey tourist income 2019

£145 million. Passenger arrivals by boat and plane about 150,000 less than IOM. I think that a much higher percentage of IOM residents Have multiple visits to the U.K. more often that Guernsey. It could be argued that far less people from Guernsey have relatives in the north.

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

They should give them a leaflet. Not written in the C.S. speak / legalese of the regulations, but based on case studies. Like this

And that doesn't mention the three workers who got a suspended sentence and £500 fine! Hmm, not even consistent, it seems that 'key workers' can get off relatively lightly?

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

There wasn’t exactly world wide travel in 1918 though was there and the wild population was roughly one quarter what it is now, and we have significantly better treatment and sanitation.

Not really like for like is it?

The war had just finished and millions of servicemen were travelling across the world to return home. There were also many civilian refugees on the move. A crowded troopship returning to Australia or America would be ideal for a virus to spread

• Like 3

We are, thanks to good governance, doing ok which seems to be irritating to some posters who really seem to be hell bent on self destruct because no one values their opinions.     Sad really we used to have some good natured discussions now it is just insulting people and playground behaviour.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, trmpton said:

Are Jersey’s government not being sensible?

What is the downside to their approach over the one here which is killing businesses and making people want to move away from our lovely island?

Social distancing, recommended wearing of masks in shops. Table service only in bars and restaurants. Social gatherings limited to small numbers (meaning nightclubs, cinemas, theatres and other indoor venues are closed, including visitor attractions. Plus loads of other minor changes. These restrictions are killing business and stopping new businesses getting off the ground. 

Test on arrival seems good, but does not mean you can return to work the next day. Loads of employers won't allow it. Many are still insisting on 14 days isolation. 

Other than that, nothing really.

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

We are, thanks to good governance, doing ok which seems to be irritating to some posters who really seem to be hell bent on self destruct because no one values their opinions.     Sad really we used to have some good natured discussions now it is just insulting people and playground behaviour.

Sid , you are one of the worst for criticism of those who do not share your opinions so please don’t try & pretend you’re better than anyone else!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Social distancing, recommended wearing of masks in shops. Table service only in bars and restaurants. Social gatherings limited to small numbers (meaning nightclubs, cinemas, theatres and other indoor venues are closed, including visitor attractions. Plus loads of other minor changes. These restrictions are killing business and stopping new businesses getting off the ground. 

Test on arrival seems good, but does not mean you can return to work the next day. Loads of employers won't allow it. Many are still insisting on 14 days isolation. 

Other than that, nothing really.

Probably why Jersey unemployment is falling quicker than ours and no one is looking to return to work after testing.

also visitor attractions are not closed, the largest indoor venue including pool has been opened for months 

what a lot of residents are asking for is to allow families to visit in line with existing isolation requirements exactly the same as Guernsey are doing.

Also some sort of plan would be useful and don’t refer to the borders framework as lots have pointed out that was done 6 months ago 

• Like 2

Danger!!!!

Woman, 36, returning to the Island via the Sea Terminal, stopped for petrol on way home to Ramsey - 4 weeks jail.

5 Welders from Doncaster, aged 18 to 64, bought beer and a McDonalds on way to hotel, 14 days.

Man, 64, went to a homeless charity for a meal after returning to the Island, 4 weeks.

Man, 64, visited bank whilst he should be isloating, 4 weeks.

Woman from Belfast, 60, went shopping on bus when she should have been isloating, 4 weeks.

Man, 48, went to doctors after returning from Thailand, 4 weeks.

Man, 64, went to see a band in a pub during islolation, 4 weeks.

The Island is run by Psychopaths. Don't Risk It.

Incidentally why are 64 year olds most likely to offend. Macca could do a charity record for them...

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you share my isolation time?
Trip to McDonalds, bottle of wine.
If I go shopping on the way home
Would you dob me in?
Will you supply me, will you still feed me,
When i'm sixty-four.

Every summer we can rent a cottage,
In the Isle of Man, if it's not too dear
We shall go to jail
Drug dealers at your knee
Vera, Chuck and Dave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

Probably why Jersey unemployment is falling quicker than ours and no one is looking to return to work after testing.

also visitor attractions are not closed, the largest indoor venue including pool has been opened for months 

what a lot of residents are asking for is to allow families to visit in line with existing isolation requirements exactly the same as Guernsey are doing.

Also some sort of plan would be useful and don’t refer to the borders framework as lots have pointed out that was done 6 months ago 

Jersey's unemployment is already double ours. I should hope it does fall more quickly. 

Visitor attractions such as the Underground Hospital, etc. are closed. The indoor venue you mention, Fort Regent, is indeed open. However, it is enormous. Also, it is half indoor and half outdoor. Of the indoor bits, smaller and high intensity sport ones are closed. They are hoping to open them soon. 

I agree with the idea of family visiting. Perhaps if the whole family isolated for 7 days, or something. I mean, you are not going to keep kids away from their grandparents and parents. 

A six month plan would be nice, but how? Three months ago we were told that if the uk continued to improve we would move to stage three at the end of August. Look what has happened! It is just something you can plan for. 

32 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

As one of the angriest and rudest posters on here you really are hilarious. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1