IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But that’s the issue. Real life says that doesn’t happen as people get delayed or plans change so what’s wrong with putting a shop in as a back up? It’s common sense. If you’re expecting people to stay inside for 14 days on arrival they need to be able to leave the boat in a position where they can. Especially as you can’t get a slot at Tescos direct even if you donate a kidney. There are loads of ways these risks should have been managed before they become an issue that someone is jailed for. Buying food or petrol should not be automatic imprisonment. 

I'll wager each and every one of them were buying ale.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, piebaps said:

It's dead easy (as it always has been). We have our rules. Anyone who doesn't like them has an alternative available to them. Instead of doing the decent thing however, they appear to whine and moan.

Ring the covid restriction help line on 661661. I'll even come and wave you off.

Especially if they're English? :P

30 minutes ago, piebaps said:

It's dead easy (as it always has been). We have our rules. Anyone who doesn't like them has an alternative available to them. Instead of doing the decent thing however, they appear to whine and moan.

Ring the covid restriction help line on 661661. I'll even come and wave you off.

So, the new Manx retort to anyone criticising the Manx way is "there's a covid line in the morning"?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Actually you can snitch more widely now. You can even be an anonymous snitcher via crime stoppers. We seem to be going for some sort of record for jailing people. Has anyone called Norris McWhirter yet to see if we’ve won? 

89D56299-DEF4-40AC-800C-DF8B33971DA7.jpeg

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, piebaps said:

That’s a fairly retarded mentality.

I can appreciate there are a load of people working for the civil service etc that don't give a fuck because they're fortunate that people like me work for companies that contribute massively to paying them.

That's great.  But it won't always be like that if government don't start to consider SOME sort of plan that doesn't involve putting their fingers in their ears shouting La La La until the infection rate reaches 1 in 5000 in the UK.

A lot of private companies here rely in getting out there and doing business.(dont listen to any of that nonsense that people like Pongo say in relation to not needing to travel/meet people/ buikd relationships etc). It doesn't just fall in the door.

I understand that certain segments of the population have their own agenda.  Pensioners. Well off. Civil servants not worried about their job etc.

The most important part of the IOM economy is the private sector.  The finance sector.  That needs more support in many ways.

To be clear, I don't think having "no restrictions" is a must.  But the government needs to be a little more creative here around how we can function at some sort of workable level.

• Like 5

The polarisation of the Covid-19 arguments remind me of the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants and various public places and work. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That’s a fairly retarded mentality.

I can appreciate there are a load of people working for the civil service etc that don't give a fuck because they're fortunate that people like me work for companies that contribute massively to paying them.

That's great.  But it won't always be like that if government don't start to consider SOME sort of plan that doesn't involve putting their fingers in their ears shouting La La La until the infection rate reaches 1 in 5000 in the UK.

A lot of private companies here rely in getting out there and doing business.(dont listen to any of that nonsense that people like Pongo say in relation to not needing to travel/meet people/ buikd relationships etc). It doesn't just fall in the door.

I understand that certain segments of the population have their own agenda.  Pensioners. Well off. Civil servants not worried about their job etc.

The most important part of the IOM economy is the private sector.  The finance sector.  That needs more support in many ways.

To be clear, I don't think having "no restrictions" is a must.  But the government needs to be a little more creative here around how we can function at some sort of workable level.

How is obeying the law mentally retarded?

In my experience you only have to face-to-face to build trust.

Business hates uncertainty and these are very uncertain times. It's not just the economic damage caused by Covid-19 but the UK also has the added clusterfuck of brexit to add to it's woes.

So I find the idea that island businesses are champing at the bit to get out there and sell sell sell just a little bit far fetched.

Do you have examples of same...?

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Actually you can snitch more widely now. You can even be an anonymous snitcher via crime stoppers. We seem to be going for some sort of record for jailing people. Has anyone called Norris McWhirter yet to see if we’ve won? 

89D56299-DEF4-40AC-800C-DF8B33971DA7.jpeg

Good. I would most definitely report someone breaking these rules, as would any sensible person with a brain and a social conscience. What’s hard to grasp.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hardly.

As a liberal I think it's perfectly acceptable to tweak the tails of the right whingers on here from time to time.

Especially as the worst PM and Administration in living memory leaves them in a completely indefensible position.

I view this debate as more of the same...

apologies, I wasn't referring to your comments PK

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, P.K. said:

How is obeying the law mentally retarded?

In my experience you only have to face-to-face to build trust.

Business hates uncertainty and these are very uncertain times. It's not just the economic damage caused by Covid-19 but the UK also has the added clusterfuck of brexit to add to it's woes.

So I find the idea that island businesses are champing at the bit to get out there and sell sell sell just a little bit far fetched.

Do you have examples of same...?

Use your common sense.

I see your trolling is still utterly useless as well:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s the complete lack of a plan compared to other jurisdictions that’s most concerning.

When asked when he expected family could visit he got arsey with the BBC guy as he asked same questions last time and still couldn’t answer.

the reason media are asking is because the public is asking them 

I'm no fan of the rotund one but in his defence he did give an answer and a very good one at that. Problem is the BBC guy seemed to be listening but not hearing

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, I imagine that this is the cop out but how many people read what they sign these days?

In something as potentially serious as this, it is obviously beyond the mindset of government workers to understand this, all they are interested in is that they are covered for liability because they have a signature on a piece of paper. Cold comfort indeed if the island suffered a serious second wave! 

It should be explained properly what our stance is, and the consequences of breaking the rules!

if they are too stupid to read what they sign then they deserve all they get