IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I wonder what's happening in Russia, China, Brazil et al. The world status reporting seems to have gone very quiet.

Russia getting worse, Brazil ever more so.

• Sad 1

I took 10 minutes out to take a look through the UK Govt. official Covid (England) statistics, specifically two dates.

The initial figures from the 8th April at the height of the first wave:

4,297 cases

976 deaths

Then I compared to the height of the second wave (as it stands with increased testing capacity) on the 1st October:

10,173 cases

42 deaths

What I was unable to determine from the official 42 deaths on that day, what the age breakdown was or what event, specific illness led to their demise, only that Covid was recorded on their death certificate within 28 days. There is no data to include such things as breast cancer, heart attack, liver failure, road traffic accident or the like.

What can we summise from the above?

I'm not entirely sure other than my original belief that there has been one serious over-reaction to this whole issue, particularly in recent months.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I took 10 minutes out to take a look through the UK Govt. official Covid (England) statistics, specifically two dates.

4,297 cases

976 deaths

Then I compared to the height of the second wave (as it stands with increased testing capacity) on the 1st October:

10,173 cases

42 deaths

What I was unable to determine from the 42 deaths on that day, what the age breakdown was or what event, specific illness led to their demise, only that Covid was recorded on their death certificate within 28 days. There is no data to include such things as breast cancer, heart attack, liver failure, road traffic accident or the like.

What can we summise from the above?

I'm not entirely sure other than my original belief that there has been one serious over-reaction to this whole event.

I think you will find most of those deaths in April were care home related. Don't forget Boris sent all the elderly recovered back from hospitals to care  homes the free up the beds, without testing them first, wiping out around 20,000.

Edited by Cambon
Because
  • Like 2

Just now, Cambon said:

I think you will find most of those deaths in April were fare home related. Don't forget Boris sent all the elderly recovered back from hospitals to care  homes the free up the beds, without testing them first, wiping out around 20,000.

Yes, agreed. I think we (Government and their medical experts) need to have a serious, open and frank discussion on what this is really all about.

The figures are not suggestive of the measures that are being taken.

It's clear to me that if 12,000 people are testing positive everyday it's highly likely the real number of people carrying the virus is significantly higher yet the hospital admissions and deaths are simply not correlating to what we witnessed during the first few weeks of the pandemic.

It is very confusing and I can see why the UK public (especially the younger generation) are looking at the figures and thinking **** this for a game of soldiers, it's codswallop.

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

because it probably is.

I tend to agree, I've always advocated as such BUT the Mainstream Media have been negligent in their handling & reporting of the issue.

They've peddled fear and hysteria and it's rubbed off on large numbers in society, gripped by paranoia. Manx political Facebook sites are a truly eye opening barometer.

You've got the UK Govt. allowing kids in schools, 11 a-side amateur park football, 50% eat out schemes, get back in the cinemas, etc etc messages but trying to counter that with mask wearing, groups of six blah, blah, blah.

It really can't go on, society and specifically the Isle of Man, must get on.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 4

Don’t normally watch BBC news but I did on Sunday - because I really want to enjoy MOTD 2 😂

Anyway, he clearly reported the deaths for the previous week and stated clearly that “all had underlying health conditions”

Unless this all really kicks off over the next few week and people start dropping like flies (clearly I don’t wish that in anyone) then I just can’t fathom how the whole thing isn’t a massive overreaction.  Everything I have read suggests that the people who are counting as deaths now were almost certainly going to die over the next few months anyway.  Yes that’s awful, but it’s nature and always has been and always will be.  To cripple the economy and kids educations in order to extend a small number of people’s lives for a few months (lots of whom had no quality of life anyway) just doesn’t make any sense to me.

Yes “cases” are rising, but that isn’t resulting in loads of deaths.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Yes, agreed. I think we (Government and their medical experts) need to have a serious, open and frank discussion on what this is really all about.

The figures are not suggestive of the measures that are being taken.

It's clear to me that if 12,000 people are testing positive everyday it's highly likely the real number of people carrying the virus is significantly higher yet the hospital admissions and deaths are simply not correlating to what we witnessed during the first few weeks of the pandemic.

It is very confusing and I can see why the UK public (especially the younger generation) are looking at the figures and thinking **** this for a game of soldiers, it's codswallop.

That has been my view since very early on especially when the Nightingale Hospitals were significantly under-used.  At the beginning, stringent measures were the right approach (even though I was concerned at the collateral damage), but now we need to have a few honest and grown up discussions about risk and who is responsible for each individual's health. 

23 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

4,297 cases

976 deaths

And that was when testing was limited, so who knows what the infection level was in the general population?

18 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Do you really think the majority of the younger generation look at the numbers and make informed decisions, or are just doing what young people do.... ignore everyone/everything else going on around them and carry on as if all was normal? I know I did when I was their age. Virus or no virus.

Edited by Andy Onchan

Just now, thommo2010 said:

Donald Trump getting a bit of stick for saying we can't be afraid of Covid and let it dictate our lives. I honestly can't see what he is saying is wrong. 

Rumours that Scotland are going into lockdown on Friday for 2 weeks but the liklihood it will last longer than 2 weeks.

Only problem is it is Donald saying it!

Just now, Gladys said:

And that was when testing was limited, so who knows what the infection level was in the general population?

They (whoever they are) estimated that last week around 7 or 8% of the UK adult population had contracted Covid.

'They' really have no true idea of that number but you would think that the 10 - 12,000 testing positive each day currently is only scratching the surface.

The Island really does need the virus to come back and work it's way through our community (shielding those we know are at risk). Yes, that's a tough thing to write but there is a sense of inevitability about the whole thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Do you really think the majority of the younger generation look at the numbers and make informed decisions, or are just doing what young people do.... ignore everyone/everything else going on around them and carry on as if all was normal? I know I did when I was their age. Virus or no virus.

I honestly think it's a combination of both.

I have friends who have just sent their kids to Uni. Their kids are highly intelligent and are making choices to go out & enjoy themselves knowing full well the potential consequences of their actions.

We need to get back to freedoms and choice, individual responsibility. If people aren't comfortable with that, they shield. It is actually all rather simple.

• Like 1

NDP, that does not suit the covid-free status though does it? 

The investigation into Abbotswood needs to hurry up so we can understand what went so tragically wrong there. Then measures to prevent a recurrence explained so that those who are very risk averse can understand their own personal  risk.  

• Like 2