IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

To keep yourself well informed you need to understand the science that's underpinning the political decisions. Fine by me because in these dark times I think it's important to be well informed.

First off we had land on the island which is Day 1 and you self-isolate until 12 pm on Day 14.

Then we had land on the island on Day 1 then test on Day 7 and if the result is negative you are free from self-isolation with some caveats until 12 pm on Day 14.

That is, apparently, a loosening of the restrictions. Which I take to mean that external factors like the spread of the virus have lessened so this step can be safely made.

Now the virus is on the up so the "test on Day 7" has been removed.

What I would like to know is what changed the level of risk in percentage terms? I've been through all the posts by @rachomics but no clues there.

Any ideas anyone?

ETA - Cross posted.

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't judge the posts of others against your own standards...

Edited by P.K.
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

To keep yourself well informed you need to understand the science that's underpinning the political decisions. Fine by me because in these dark times I think it's important to be well informed.

First off we had land on the island which is Day 1 and you self-isolate until 12 pm on Day 14.

Then we had land on the island on Day 1 then test on Day 7 and if the result is negative you are free from self-isolation with some caveats until 12 pm on Day 14.

That is, apparently, a loosening of the restrictions. Which I take to mean that external factors like the spread of the virus have lessened so this step can be safely made.

Now the virus is on the up so the "test on Day 7" has been removed.

What I would like to know is what changed the level of risk in percentage terms? I've been through all the posts by @rachomics but no clues there.

Any ideas anyone?

ETA - Cross posted.

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't judge the posts of others against your own standards...

What are you going on about?

I told you why they are removing the 7 day test.  Which I've questioned the fact they provided no data at all to back it up.  To which your response was " which means exactly what?".

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What are you going on about?

I told you why they are removing the 7 day test.  Which I've questioned the fact they provided no data at all to back it up.  To which your response was " which means exactly what?".

Quite. To recap:

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That comment would have some standing if Howard had presented statistics that showed the impact on passenger volumes since the introduction of the 7 day test.

He didn't.  There's a reason for that.  

PK - Which is?

Because there isn't any statistical evidence that we've seen an increase in passenger traffic post 7 day test provision.

Would you please explain your reasoning that the test on Day 7 has something to do with the passenger numbers which led to Mr Quayle's decision to bin it?

Me personally I was hoping you knew what the change in the risk assessment was because that's the only reason I can think of why Mr Quayle binned off the Day 7 testing ie nothing to do with the passenger numbers.

34 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Quite. To recap:

Would you please explain your reasoning that the test on Day 7 has something to do with the passenger numbers which led to Mr Quayle's decision to bin it?

Mr. Quayle said in an earlier press conference that allowing family members in would not corrently be allowed. The reason, which came out in questions, was the increase in traffic. Although one individual family member does not represent any more risk than a returning resident, it silmplybcame down to potential numbers of travellers. 

Same goes for seven days and test. If acts a small a deterrent to locals travelling across and beyond. But you can still go if necessary. That may change if the uk gets really bad. 

13 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Mr. Quayle said in an earlier press conference that allowing family members in would not corrently be allowed. The reason, which came out in questions, was the increase in traffic. Although one individual family member does not represent any more risk than a returning resident, it silmplybcame down to potential numbers of travellers. 

Same goes for seven days and test. If acts a small a deterrent to locals travelling across and beyond. But you can still go if necessary. That may change if the uk gets really bad. 

He said in the conference that he was stopping 7 days testing to reduce positive numbers, he mentioned nothing about passenger numbers, nothing about medical advice/evidence etc.

Basically it’s been done to keep the borders closed mob happy and no other reason 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

He said in the conference that he was stopping 7 days testing to reduce positive numbers, he mentioned nothing about passenger numbers, nothing about medical advice/evidence etc.

Basically it’s been done to keep the borders closed mob happy and no other reason 

Try this and see what response you get:
chief.minister@gov.im
with a copy to: 
Kayleigh.Parkinson@gov.im (Executive Assistant to the Chief Secretary)

4 hours ago, Banker said:

I think you will find it is, check Tynwald org 

Begging your pardon. I offer a full and unreserved apology.:crying:

Dagnabbit! - posted it twice, but will leave it as an example of how to behave graciously when you get something wrong on a forum.

Edited by piebaps
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Quite. To recap:

Me personally I was hoping you knew what the change in the risk assessment was because that's the only reason I can think of why Mr Quayle binned off the Day 7 testing ie nothing to do with the passenger numbers.

You would surely only bin off the 7 day test if it had resulted in a decent uptick in passengers arriving and you thought by removing it then a decrease in passenger arrivals would follow?

Otherwise, why would you? If 500 a week were arriving before and after the 7 day test was introduced then removing it does nothing except mask any chance of positive tests.  It won't actually stop people having Covid.  It'll just stop it being detected and recorded.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

Who would want a test on day 13? All data lost from 7 day testing as Rachel Glover states so no support for removal from a lead advisor 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/minister-not-ruling-out-a-later-test-for-returning-residents/

A test on day 13? Which is a waste of time. This is clearly about hiding positive cases and nothing else. Why not test at 7 days but say you might test at 13? Because, presumably, hardly anyone is still going to show positive at day 13. Proof if anyone was looking for it that this is all about not spooking pant-wetting morons by throwing up more positive test outcomes. I can’t say I agree with it but I can clearly see why politically they have done it. They have really backed themselves into a corner with this “covid-free” myth.

Looking at Facebook today and at some of the despicable lunatic comments posted by Manx people to that Yorkshire Man clip the Islands residents are now starting to increasingly look like frothing mouthed lunatic cult members. If I was HQ or Ashford I’d be worried about some fucking lunatic covid-nutter(s) turning up at my house too. That’s all that’s driving this. Managing hysterical fruit loops. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1