IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

What do you not get? People in the IOM pay for the 7 day test. They published the breakdown of that fee when they brought it in to show that it isn’t subsidized. So how can stopping testing at 7 days be about cost? People are (have been anyway) voluntarily paying £50 a go for a test. You mentioned Jersey costs which bear no relation to our costs as Jersey actually seems to want to test people to build a profile. We seem to be happy to test nobody so that no awkward questions are asked about our returning infection rate. 

I wonder how many out of the total day 7 tests actually paid for it?

I'm hearing that those who have been to UK hospitals for treatment are required to have a mandatory 7 day test. And so, I suspect that the uptake for day 7 test outside of those people is low with some preferring to sit it out for 14 days.

• Like 1

Have the numbers wanting to come and go dropped around school hols and/or what was take up like compared to the total no. of tests being done for 'remainers' who think theyve caught covid on island?. In other words why maintain the charging admin etc for a marginal societal benefit? Or is it that the science around 7 day testing is iffy?

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

Agree with you on the binmen bit, but David Ashford did rise to the challenge and, tbh, did perform above and beyond, because he actually got to grips with the science and understood the information he was fed.  Whether that deserves a gong is a matter of opinion,  not least your view of the awards system. But I always got the feeling that he was honest and informed.  A rare attribute for many of our MHKs. 

Let's face it, he assumed the DHSC mantle very shortly before and everyone was pretty derisory on his abilities, but he stepped up very quickly, and effectively.  How often during the daily briefings did HQ refer any tricky question to him? 

Anyone involved in the health service may have a different view, but at the height of this he was a steady, reassuring and informed voice.

Very pleased that a doctor also got an award.

In truth Glad my comments were, in part, motivated by a deeply sceptical attitude towards the whole awards regime, which, illustrated by this case, I believe to have descended into a routine handout of gongs by the establishment, to the establishment, for simply doing what they’re paid to do. To sweeten it, a couple of minor awards are tossed here and there to the lollipop lady and the cheery charity chappie. We’ll have to agree to differ on Ashford’s performance. Whereas without question Coronavirus was a major event straight from left field, when a societal challenge of this magnitude crops up politicians are paid to understand the issues, make decisions and inform the public. Then they can go back to the 95% doing nothing much that is the norm. Cannan’s package of economic assistance measures was well regarded, was communicated and modified when required. A Minister doing his job. But no gong there. (Nor should there be).

I also take your point that Ashford is a better performer than most MHKs. Well, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king...but you don’t give him an award for 20/20 vision.

Ashford’s gong perpetuates a well trodden path of smug establishment self-congratulation, but then it would, because the ‘awards’ regime is precisely that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm hearing that those who have been to UK hospitals for treatment are required to have a mandatory 7 day test. And so, I suspect that the uptake for day 7 test outside of those people is low with some preferring to sit it out for 14 days.

An MHK should ask that question probably. But cost can’t be an issue to withdraw testing. It’s £50 a test so even if government are paying it you’d have to do 1,000 tests to burn £50k which is an insignificant sum anyway when we’re borrowing £250M to stay afloat. People seem to be scrabbling to find excuses when the reasons seem obvious - we don’t want awkward results frightening our incredibly fragile population. So we’ve decided not to test so we can keep our head in the sand. I don’t think it’s right at all. But as I said above I understand why their doing it with so many covid lunatics around crapping their pants about everything. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

There’s no mandatory 7 days testing for those going to UK hospital it was voluntary along with everyone else. Only difference you didn’t pay if you were going via patient transfers 

Copy of tweet from Rachel, interesting they may listen to data in future!!

You’ll be glad to know that neither nor lynched me this evening at the UCM awards for my tweets today. They listened and I hope this will enable more data-driven decisions going forward

Thumbs up

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Copy of tweet from Rachel, interesting they may listen to data in future!!

You’ll be glad to know that neither nor lynched me this evening at the UCM awards for my tweets today. They listened and I hope this will enable more data-driven decisions going forward

Thumbs up

Or they may equally completely ignore her. I’m not sure why she seems to crave this sort of social media celebrity status to be honest. From what I can see she doesn’t have any form of official government status. Unlike, say, a Nicola Brink in Guernsey. Her opinion is just that in terms of its interesting and informed but it is just an additional opinion. 

OK. Arrived back at 06.00 today. Arrived at Portsmouth 21.00 last night.

UK passenger locator form has QR code for scanning. Wasn’t asked for.

Manx form says it will be inspected, it wasn’t, and that they’dsend a second e-mail with all the T&C, they didn’t. They did want to see my photo ID. The Manx Borders official had a sheet of paper, ticked me off. 5 cars with 7 passengers came off the Ben.