IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 hours ago, Lxxx said:

This is the concern. With travel restrictions a lot of people will be assessing their lifestyle now and if this is going to carry on for much longer then they may well feel that being stuck across on a much larger island offers a lot more options for a better lifestyle than being stuck on a tiny one with a fraction of the opportunities and amenities.

This ‘lifestyle’ thing is subjective. There are people the IOM suits absolutely at all levels of wealth, but there is also an element who will be reviewing their options. Likewise there will be those in the UK doing the same and looking to the utopian green hills by the sea. But unless they are bringing taxable income with them, they are not much use to the big picture. And as taxation increases here - which is inevitable, they may become disenfranchised and seek to return.  It if house prices drop, they may in fact be trapped here. It really is a dilemma. 

5 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Where are all the people that are selling moving to? with a so called shortage of housing or the Government are telling us, look at any Estate agent's window and the amount of property sold is unbelievable, the Island is not that buoyant to afford everyone upgrading. Banks are not that keen on giving out short term inflated mortgages. I do think that the bubble will burst and there is going to be a lot of negative equity left to mortgage holder's especially in these uncertain times.

Apparently, according to an estate agent I spoke with, there are a significant number of divorce sales.

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This ‘lifestyle’ thing is subjective. There are people the IOM suits absolutely at all levels of wealth, but there is also an element who will be reviewing their options. Likewise there will be those in the UK doing the same and looking to the utopian green hills by the sea. But unless they are bringing taxable income with them, they are not much use to the big picture. And as taxation increases here - which is inevitable, they may become disenfranchised and seek to return.  It if house prices drop, they may in fact be trapped here. It really is a dilemma. 

Apparently, according to an estate agent I spoke with, there are a significant number of divorce sales.

Which quite often generate one sale and two purchases.

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

New cases!!

Panic!!!

Close the BOARDERS!!!!!!!

Vader is already calling for this on his influential FB page. 

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Borders, not those entitled to bed and breakfast, or are you quoting FB?

I'm sure he is quoting many FB contributors, the same ones who advertise 'Chester Draws for sale!'

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So these three “cases” are once again simply people who have been tested because one of them was contact traced from the UK having just returned.  I haven’t seen anything to suggest they had any clue they were ill.

I think we really need to rethink what a case is.  Someone who is sick is a case.  Someone who had to be tested to find out they had something is a carrier or infected.

if we tested the whole IOM population tomorrow, how many do people think would be “cases”?  I guess between 10-15%.

What about if you tested the whole UK?

Who is going to have a reality check and allow us to stop worrying  about something we have very little control over first?  Sure as hell

wont be HQ as he is obsessed with being COVID free.

Open the borders and bit more and test test test.  It’s disgusting that by New Year we will be 9 months where travel has been so restricted.  At the time I got it, we didn’t know better.

Now treatment is better, testing is better, and anecdotal evidence would be that people aren’t getting as ill as they were.

The response is no longer reasoned or proportional 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So these three “cases” are once again simply people who have been tested because one of them was contact traced from the UK having just returned.  I haven’t seen anything to suggest they had any clue they were ill.

I think we really need to rethink what a case is.  Someone who is sick is a case.  Someone who had to be tested to find out they had something is a carrier or infected.

if we tested the whole IOM population tomorrow, how many do people think would be “cases”?  I guess between 10-15%.

What about if you tested the whole UK?

Who is going to have a reality check and allow us to stop worrying  about something we have very little control over first?  Sure as hell

wont be HQ as he is obsessed with being COVID free.

Open the borders and bit more and test test test.  It’s disgusting that by New Year we will be 9 months where travel has been so restricted.  At the time I got it, we didn’t know better.

Now treatment is better, testing is better, and anecdotal evidence would be that people aren’t getting as ill as they were.

The response is no longer reasoned or proportional 

Eh? If 10 -15% of the Island's population were carrying the virus it would be spreading throughout the community and there would be active cases with people with symptoms. Also it would be spreading to vulnerable people and we'd surely have people in intensive care?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Borders, not those entitled to bed and breakfast, or are you quoting FB?

Well in this case they more or less are.  The information about the new cases[1] does indeed come from that source:

image.png.fa66500ce9506a7c954ae9432aa2589c.png

With the follow-up information:

Three new cases of COVID-19 have been detected in the Isle of Man. The individuals recently travelled to the Island together from a high risk area.

The individuals, were already self-isolating for 14 days following their journey to the Island. One case was identified as having been a close contact of a confirmed case in the UK with the other two cases being identified through Isle of Man contact tracing. All three had travelled to the Isle of Man together. Their period of isolation has been extended accordingly and this includes any other members of their household.

Contact tracing has been completed.

The current number of active cases of COVID-19 in the Isle of Man is five. None of the three new cases relate to travel from Guernsey.

It's not clear if they are all the same household or just travelled together.  It sounds like there was information about the UK passed on either through track and trace or privately, rather than one of them falling ill.

[1]  Because it is Monday, these will be the results of three days' testing.

3 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Eh? If 10 -15% of the Island's population were carrying the virus it would be spreading throughout the community and there would be active cases with people with symptoms. Also it would be spreading to vulnerable people and we'd surely have people in intensive care?

You think?

There are definitely active cases as there are in Guernsey.

Have you compared the number of “cases” in Liverpool now and in April against the number of people actually ill and in hospital.

hospital/cases for now and April, then get back to me

5 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Over 10% of the traced contacts to the  fort guernsey case (who didn’t know they had it) turned out to be positive.

So far none of them have symptoms