IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, Flyingfemme said:

If you don’t find out where the infections are coming from and how they get there, you have nothing to justify any change of policy. You are stuck with closed borders and 14 day quarantine for ever. Unless somebody puts  their head above the parapet and admits they were wrong all along. Which I doubt any politician will do. So how do you dig yourself out of this hole? Or do you become the lost tribe?

We know where it is coming from - England. Currently a basket case and in lockdown. Until that changes, there is no point in testing. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Cambon said:

We know where it is coming from - England. Currently a basket case and in lockdown. Until that changes, there is no point in testing. 

Even with the vaccine you could be waiting until next summer or later.

COMIN need to start communicating very soon with IOM residents over possible processes to allow people to move to/from UK and even Eire early in the new year. If not, I foresee some (or should I say more) ignoring and risking the consequences with the current restrictions because they simply have to get on with life. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

COMIN need to start communicating very soon with IOM residents over possible processes to allow people to move to/from UK and even Eire early in the new year. If not, I foresee some (or should I say more) ignoring and risking the consequences with the current restrictions because they simply have to get on with life. 

We need some clarity on a couple of issues.

Will family members based in the UK be able to return to the Island & able to share Christmas with their loved ones.

What is the plan to get UK travellers out of 14 day quarantine in the New Year.

My worry is a new community case will cause absolute hysteria & CoMin will lock the Island down at the drop of a hat.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

But we won’t use any type of test in case it shows a positive case and the Facebook mob cause panic,why are we so out of line with every other country?

Do you have link to these groups, be interesting the hear what they have to say.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m not sure about this, but Oxera are very respectable number crunchers.

The 14 day quarantine must be wrong. It’s the gold standard. Isn’t it?

107D5DFA-AA21-4E2A-9C76-768ED21139DA.jpeg

Finally, we got some hard numbers, thanks for posting this, do you have link to source article so can read testing procedure? Had 3rd year student on Radio 4 this morning, who said not getting tested because if positive means cannot go home for Christmas. I imagine such views would exist but expected would not be voiced (and broadcast) on national state media. The self swabbing of students in UK, could well mean some (and certainly girl on radio 4) will be sticking swabs in ear to assure a negative result.

8 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

My worry is a new community case will cause absolute hysteria & CoMin will lock the Island down at the drop of a hat.

This is my concern also. According to their own 'Outbreak plan' this shouldn't happen, it requires a fair bit of transmission locally to lock us down, but I don't believe them. You can read it here https://covid19.gov.im/outbreak-management-plan/outbreak-plan/

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Situation is simple. As with any flu vaccine, the elderly and infirm/ high risk need to be vaccinated. Let the rest of us get on with it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, asitis said:

Just had a text from my son in law to tell us there is a community case here ! 

..... let us hope this rumour is unfounded though without testing we were in a ticking time bomb situation.

If ... and it’s a big if, we do have a community case outbreak I’m afraid to say (actually I’m not) this will fall firmly at the doors of HQ & DA who still, without explanation, dropped testing.

They can then face the wrath of the Manx people & it would be justifiable.

33 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

Do you have link to these groups, be interesting the hear what they have to say.

Finally, we got some hard numbers, thanks for posting this, do you have link to source article so can read testing procedure? Had 3rd year student on Radio 4 this morning, who said not getting tested because if positive means cannot go home for Christmas. I imagine such views would exist but expected would not be voiced (and broadcast) on national state media. The self swabbing of students in UK, could well mean some (and certainly girl on radio 4) will be sticking swabs in ear to assure a negative result.

It’s sky media, so it’s airline and travel industry. That probably means it’s skewed. 

Why would being tested now, 11 November, stop students going home?

10 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

..... let us hope this rumour is unfounded though without testing we were in a ticking time bomb situation.

If ... and it’s a big if, we do have a community case outbreak I’m afraid to say (actually I’m not) this will fall firmly at the doors of HQ & DA who still, without explanation, dropped testing.

They can then face the wrath of the Manx people & it would be justifiable.

More rubbish. Nothing to do with testing. Everything to do with poor isolation. 

If it is true, it is hardly unexpected.