IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Exactly. I think we need to accept that it can only be classified as 'out of control' when them 0's start ticking up and deaths become a real issue.

If people are just getting infected and harmlessly recovering, then great. There is still so much that can be done in terms of mitigating spread around testing.

A figure I heard the other day is that there's 2,800 students due to return the Isle of Man before Christmas and this could result in up to 9000 people self-isolation IF whole housholds had to isolate. Obviously you can whittle that down as any will go self-catering instead, but even half that figure and we'd still have plenty self-isolating IF whole housholds had to, which they don't?

There are only around 600 - 800 students away this term & the lions share are home already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Thanks but I already knew that. To make it clearer, why can't the vulnerable and the elderly isolate themselves and let the working population crack on - if getting the economy started again is so very important?

Because as soon as they come into contact with someone who has it, and they will, they will get it. Bad, as the elderly do. So, protect them with vaccination and let the rest get back to work. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

There are only around 600 - 800 students away this term & the lions share are home already.

Why would they already be back if they've only been over there 6 to 8 weeks?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-90-of-students-planning-christmas-return/

The plan is for most students to travel 3rd to 9th December, post-lockdown.

BBC News - Covid: How will university students go home for Christmas?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54195756

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Why would they already be back if they've only been over there 6 to 8 weeks?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-than-90-of-students-planning-christmas-return/

The plan is for most students to travel 3rd to 9th December, post-lockdown.

BBC News - Covid: How will university students go home for Christmas?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54195756

They've been coming back in dribs and drabs for weeks. Why? Because their learning is mainly or entirely online, and if they come back and do their two weeks then they get to go to the pub with their friends afterwards.

I'm mystified that more haven't come back, to be quite honest.

The risky ones are the ones who aren't coming back until late December. They're not going to socially distance on Christmas Day, are they now? And good luck finding accommodation for them, even the Comis aren't taking self-isolating people now.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 2

Not to throw fire on todays rumour mill but I did hear from an old colleague that someone who works at Nobles has tested positive today, pending second test and it looks to be a case of community infection.

Seems she got frisky with someone who was positive...

Hopefully it turns out to be false result. But I know of two people that have been part of contact tracing this afternoon as a result too.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Not to throw fire on todays rumour mill but I did hear from an old colleague that someone who works at Nobles has tested positive today, pending second test and it looks to be a case of community infection.

Hopefully it turns out to be false result. But I know of two people that have been part of contact tracing this afternoon as a result too.

Not one to cast doubt but...

As at 4.15pm on 11 Nov 2020: Total tests: 17001 Concluded tests: 16992 Confirmed cases: 361 New cases: 2 Awaiting results: 9 Awaiting tests: 17 Number of deaths: Hospital - 7, Community - 18 Total active cases: Community - 0, Hospital - 0, Isolated individual (non-community) - 7

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So about half of the “cases” have symptoms and none are in hospital.

I wonder how many of those with symptoms got tested because they had symptoms and how many got tested for some other reason, found out they were positive and then when asked went “oh, now you mention it, I did have the shits/was a bit warm/sneezed/coughed the other day”

The only statistics we should be interested in our hospital admissions and any deaths.

From the outset I always thought that the level of asymptomatics would be much higher than was being reported, simply because of the lack of testing (UK in particular). Had these folk been identified earlier then they would have had to isolate. No questions or excuses. If asymptomatics are found outside of isolation then they deserve to get the book thrown at them.

13 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Well according to the official IOM Government Twitter account, the two new cases today are isolating and not in the community.

I have very good reason to doubt this.

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Well according to the official IOM Government Twitter account, the two new cases today are isolating and not in the community.

I have very good reason to doubt this.

A tradie working in a nursing home was sent home from working there today because his good lady has tested positive.

I think Allinson and his 'not if but when' is really a sign of things to come but hopefully they prove to be false positive.

Edited by NoTailT