IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, Lxxx said:

The island absolutely has people who would test positive if tested but things are running smoothly, shops open, businesses making money, economy ticking over. Nobles isn't over-run and people are going about their life enjoying themselves at this time of year. It's refreshing.

I don't agree with this government on much at the moment but their testing policy is working so why change it? 

I tend to agree at the moment but it isn't a case of it 'ain't broke so no need to fix it though, is it. Our border controls are still too restrictive to many.

The real issue is where we go from here. And that seems to be dependent on the UK. 

It would be useful to know what their criteria is for opening up their borders so we can then start to make our own decisions on what we do about ours

3 minutes ago, Apple said:

I tend to agree at the moment but it isn't a case of it 'ain't broke so no need to fix it though, is it. Our border controls are still too restrictive to many.

The real issue is where we go from here. And that seems to be dependent on the UK. 

It would be useful to know what their criteria is for opening up their borders so we can then start to make our own decisions on what we do about ours

UK borders are open, think the travel corridors are set at less than 100 in 100k is no quarantine when arrival in uk and also others will be 5 days with negative test from 15/12.

Guernsey policy allows arrival with 14 days quarantine, any arrival from countries or UK regions with less than 100 in 100k can have test at 7 days then reduced quarantine restrictions similar to what we had.

IOM has no policy on testing, exit policy etc

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Guernsey policy allows arrival with 14 days quarantine, any arrival from countries or UK regions with less than 100 in 100k can have test at 7 days then reduced quarantine restrictions similar to what we had.

IOM has no policy on testing, exit policy etc

Guernsey policy may be changing. they're piloting a day 13 testing scheme. 

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Guernsey policy may be changing. they're piloting a day 13 testing scheme. 

That’s a voluntary test which there is no real incentive to have other than knowing if you are still contagious. Can’t think many will volunteer for 13 days testing and possibly get another 14 days when you’re out next day.

the overall plan for arrivals testing is not changing. Also Guernsey allow you to pick up arrivals even if you are not isolating with them.

Edited by Banker

1 hour ago, Apple said:

I agree on the border policy, we need a plan on how we move forward. However we don't need to test more just so we can obtain more stats that could result in measures that send our fragile economy into a tailspin again.

On the border issue we shouldn't have to wait and see what the UK are doing, we have made a big song and dance about 'Manx solutions to Manx problems' we shouldn't spoil it by waiting for 'UK solutions to Manx problems.' 

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, trmpton said:

Why do people keep saying if it was here we would know.  Do you automatically assume people would be dead on pavements everywhere.

I can’t get my head around this mindset given the very clear and indisputable evidence from guernsey that there can be cases in the community and no one have a clue.

I keep mentioning it, and none gives a counter argument.

One bloke felt well enough that he was convinced he was fit to travel.  Tested positive.  Close contacts and around 10% of them tested positive.

No one was ill, and no indication of it anywhere else on the island despite those people al being at work etc with no masks and no social distancing.

Anyone who thinks here or guernsey don’t have it spreading in the community is nuts. Test everyone tomorrow and there would be cases.

This assumption that “cases” equal illness, hospital and deaths is what is scaring people the world over.

UK estimates last week were that 1% of the entire population were infected at any time.  Barely any of those people even show any symptoms.

You serious? It's in the community here but no one is ill? You must be nuts. So we have no restrictions. It's open season for spread of the virus. But no one is ill. No one is ringing 111 but you reckon it's out there. That just doesn't add up. Believe me, when it hits the community, we will know about it. Just like we did in April. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

I agree on the border policy, we need a plan on how we move forward. However we don't need to test more just so we can obtain more stats that could result in measures that send our fragile economy into a tailspin again.

On the border issue we shouldn't have to wait and see what the UK are doing, we have made a big song and dance about 'Manx solutions to Manx problems' we shouldn't spoil it by waiting for 'UK solutions to Manx problems.' 

We certainly need our own solution in early part of 2021.

There is a great opportunity for the island  at the moment to get out there and get business.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not just new business..... but to hang on to the business we already have!

I agree.  I travel regularly on business.  It's a critical thing for the island (anyone who says face to face doesn't matter works in the back office, IT, Compliance or projects).

There are some great opportunities at the moment.  Plenty of people want their structures away from the BVi.  The low tax jurisdiction the UK was setting itself up as post Brevit isn't happening. 

The island could come out stronger because of Brexit with a bit of innovative thinking.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

We're fucked, the UK is fucked and the rest of the world is fucked. No one has a clue about what to do, even if vaccines are rolled out they'll take a year (according to Anne 'she who doesn't say much' Corlett).

She handled things very badly, while standing in for Ashford in HoK today. She definitely gave the impression that the DHSC don't have a clue when the vaccine will be delivered, how, where, and to whom they will give it, and how long it will all take.

I'd like to think that the DHSC do have a more robust plan, but she gave zero confidence.

• Like 1