IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

53 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was bit surprised how little they knew - they couldn't even separate out how many had applied to come here on the grounds that they had bought somewhere, that they had a tenancy or that they had a job (or indeed that they were starting a business).  It's then complicated by the fact that dependants aren't included, as they have to apply under compassionate grounds and are then mixed in with a loads of other categories. 

The information should all be there because it should be on the forms which should be checked to see if the reasons are valid.  Hooper was very defensive when he asked a 'question' to support his boss (dealing with questions Harmer seems even more useless at Cabinet Office than at DoI) so presumably they just failed to keep even the most basic statistics.

Roger  - I'm surprised that you're surprised! This is IOMG we're discussing here.

Even the most rudimentary of stats like what someone died of (or from) didn't exist until the current Director of Public Health turned up and realised that she would have to start from scratch to create the data she would need to create public health policies.

10 hours ago, Banker said:

Sounds like there’s concern that our new residents who are pushing house prices up are all old buggers who will strain health services.

Manx Advocates of course will be rubbing their hands. There's money in them thar old buggers, ready to manifest once they kick the bucket. 

Where's there's money, money, money, there's lots and lots of tricks.

Edited by Barlow

45 minutes ago, Blackajah said:

The IOM has long been touted as a 'desirable' place to retire, hence an influx of retirees.   It's not just a health/social care resource problem or one of not being economically active.  Pandering to this age group inhibits more progressive policies from being formulated because politicians are wary of losing votes.     The IOM isn't geared towards young people and never has been.    

The Island is the place you come back to to settle down in relative quiet and safety. It's still the sort of place you can let the kids tootle off down to the park, knowing that they won't be causing too much trouble, as you'd find out anyway.

For the oldies, it's small and easy to get most places just by pottering about, and again, it's safe. And you can usually find a gaggle of oldies with similar interests to yours.

For the more well-off, the taxes etc. are a bonus too.

It's just liable to be a bit dull for young'uns, which is why they tend to leave then return when they get a bit older and want to settle here.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The Island is the place you come back to to settle down in relative quiet and safety. It's still the sort of place you can let the kids tootle off down to the park, knowing that they won't be causing too much trouble, as you'd find out anyway.

For the oldies, it's small and easy to get most places just by pottering about, and again, it's safe. And you can usually find a gaggle of oldies with similar interests to yours.

For the more well-off, the taxes etc. are a bonus too.

It's just liable to be a bit dull for young'uns, which is why they tend to leave then return when they get a bit older and want to settle here.

Exactly right but we can’t run a large civil service & health services on what old retired people provide. We will have to start changing NI on all earnings even if retired, scrap free prescription & TV license and charge for GP & dental for all except school children 

So.  I have done some extensive analysis of the impact on the health service and general public of all the students travelling home that so many seemed worried about.

Number of hospital admissions for returning students - 0

Number of hospital admissions for people isolating with returning students - 0

Number of community transmissions as a result of people breaching isolation - 0

Number of people unexpectedly having to isolate as a result of positive cases and contact tracing - 0

Someone want to give me a good reason why friends and family can’t travel back if agreeing to the same conditions the students did?

Edited by trmpton

16 minutes ago, trmpton said:

So.  I have done some extensive analysis of the impact on the health service and general public of all the students travelling home that so many seemed worried about.

Number of people unexpectedly having to isolate as a result of positive cases and contact tracing - 0

Someone want to give me a good reason why friends and family can’t travel back if agreeing to the same conditions the students did?

Nobody can!! Especially as Liverpool & Lancaster are under 100 per 100k now

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Because the students are resident on the Island and we are discussing people who aren't.  I'm not unsympathetic to more people being allowed over on compassionate grounds, but there are all sorts of practical restrictions - are you suggesting every person who wants to come over to visit a friend or relative should be given £500 for example?

(Also with such poor levels of testing we don't really know if all that is true - it's also certain that visitors will not be as careful as students will have been).

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Because the students are resident on the Island and we are discussing people who aren't.  I'm not unsympathetic to more people being allowed over on compassionate grounds, but there are all sorts of practical restrictions - are you suggesting every person who wants to come over to visit a friend or relative should be given £500 for example?

(Also with such poor levels of testing we don't really know if all that is true - it's also certain that visitors will not be as careful as students will have been).

We can assume it true.  I didn’t say people who would test positive, I said hospital admissions and positive tests.

loads of people who would come without a subsidy, they just aren’t allowed