IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Especially when it is taking 5 to 7 days to get the genomics through meaning they can't see if cases are related quick enough. 

We're on the back foot with two real options.

One politically speaking, isn't an option as it involves an outcast. So, we lockdown and hope it fizzles out like it did last time.

I feel like this lockdown is a lot more relaxed compared to the start of the last one, lots more grannies out and about, more traffic on the roads, and everyone and their dog are advertising homemade brownies delivered to your door.

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect she isn't being listened to - she certainly wasn't during the Autumn as we know from remarks in Tynwald.  She may be seen as an 'outsider' by the DHSC nomenklatura as she was (rightly) very critical of how public health and statistics had been done (or not done) before her arrival. 

The fact that Public Health was moved into the Cabinet Office in April[1] suggests clashes within DHSC.  Possibly a culture clash as well caused by the more scientific approach to public health.  But you'd hope that a Department of Health would have a scientific mindset. 

[1]  This was a planned move, not triggered by Covid.

Indeed Roger. Anyone who thought the days of silo ministries was a thing of the past shouldn't need to look any further. Joined up government my arse!

I can't help get the feeling though that despite her apparent single mindedness, that when the thorny issue of Dr Glover rears it's head she's very non-committal. The issue about sending tests to Liverpool because it's part of a wider UK set of numbers is sheer poppy-cock. The IOM numbers wouldn't make a dint in their percentages.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I feel like this lockdown is a lot more relaxed compared to the start of the last one, lots more grannies out and about, more traffic on the roads, and everyone and their dog are advertising homemade brownies delivered to your door.

They've just been saying exactly the same thing about UK, on the news.

We will not defeat this virus by mixing in dinosaur suits or engaging in mass orgies on the side of Snaefell.

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Indeed Roger. Anyone who thought the days of silo ministries was a thing of the past shouldn't need to look any further. Joined up government my arse!

I can't help get the feeling though that despite her apparent single mindedness, that when the thorny issue of Dr Glover rears it's head she's very non-committal. The issue about sending tests to Liverpool because it's part of a wider UK set of numbers is sheer poppy-cock. The IOM numbers wouldn't make a dint in their percentages.

Being able to quickly analyse the genomic variant of the virus would be a godsend to contact tracing. Someone needs eat a bit of humble pie to cut through this puerile bullshit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

We will not defeat this virus by mixing in dinosaur suits or engaging in mass orgies on the side of Snaefell.

I have friends across who find that actually, everything is back to normal, but just in a worse version and they can't go to the pub.

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

What did I miss?

I dunno, cos I wasn't there either, sounded like there were a good number though 😂

Boris now threatening greater strictures in the UK if people don't start observing.

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Being outside and apart from others will not spread the virus. Failing to adhere to the basic principles of hands face and space will. We don't even have the excuse of lockdown fatigue here to use an 'excuse' for non compliance with these basics. Lets keep the focus on whats important rather than criticising those who pose no risk to the rest of us.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Apple said:

Some details of the new variants here with an endorsement of having a good system of genome testing to hand.

21 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Especially when it is taking 5 to 7 days to get the genomics through meaning they can't see if cases are related quick enough. 

I'm not even sure that the genomics that Liverpool were providing (and weren't we supposed to have them last Friday?) are the sort that helps with contact tracing and sorting cases into clusters.  It sounded as if it was just about testing to see if the new (English) variant was responsible for these cases.  Obviously that should be done as well, but the most immediate useful thing would be to use them to track sources of infection.  Happy to be proved wrong, but we're still talking about a week turnaround where it could be a couple of days.

Incidentally it's worth knocking another piece of Ashford nonsense on the head where he claimed that Liverpool had to do the sequencing because only they could plug the data into the UK-wide information network.  Given @rachomics's links and connections and the general culture of scientific collaboration, I'm sure that her company could do exactly the same.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

No obviously and indoor and outdoor can't be compared. However, if the air temperature is freezing or just above and there is little to no wind outside it stands to reason that this would allow the water vapour from your breath to stay suspended in the air for longer, like it does in the meat plant. In fact this study backs up my point. The colder and more humid it is the further the droplets spread.

Satire isn't welcome on here at the moment.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

?

Viruses aren't cells.

Yeah, we were talking about biological time limits and lifespans etc, not the virus. 

But this is what makes viruses so scary and weird when you think about it.  They're not alive (so saying something kills a virus is incorrect) therefore, why do they need to replicate etc. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

Being outside and apart from others will not spread the virus. Failing to adhere to the basic principles of hands face and space will. We don't even have the excuse of lockdown fatigue here to use an 'excuse' for non compliance with these basics. Lets keep the focus on whats important rather than criticising those who pose no risk to the rest of us.

It depends what your definition of "being apart from others" is.

As has been outlined just previously on here, transmissibility may be increased in cold conditions. All those good people heaving and panting their way up a hill in the name of "health" and "rights" when they've been overtly told to stay at home is not, "posing no risk to the rest of us". If you need an uphill walk, open the windows and climb your house stairs vigourously a few times. It has the same effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2