IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Borders just moved from 5B to 5A. If you leave now you may not be allowed to return. They haven’t yet said what the controlled way of controlling return of residents will consist of. But expect limited numbers. Possible Comis colditz?

Not sure of justification with day 1, 6/7 and 13 testing. Perhaps it’s policing?

When I returned in October I got one visit. When we returned in December we had 3 visits and two phone calls

They’ve also just announced that shielding increased by another 2 weeks , don’t know why they couldn’t do these announcements later unless there’s more bad news!

Hopefully some updates on vaccine with Oxford roll out

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except it’s only 9 out of current 30 cases

I see IOM Gov social saying borders are now at Level 5, I don't think anything has actually changed since last week though, is there anything elsewhere I'm missing? No specification of whether A or B, looks more like their generic scheduled social posts

• Like 1

Just now, jaymann said:

I see IOM Gov social saying borders are now at Level 5, I don't think anything has actually changed since last week though, is there anything elsewhere I'm missing? No specification of whether A or B, looks more like their generic scheduled social posts

We were at 5B already. So it’s 5A. Although gov.im/Covid is showing 5B

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

They’ve also just announced that shielding increased by another 2 weeks , don’t know why they couldn’t do these announcements later unless there’s more bad news!

Hopefully some updates on vaccine with Oxford roll out

Shielding was announced tea time last night/yesterday

Just now, John Wright said:

We were at 5B already. So it’s 5A. Although gov.im/Covid is showing 5B

Sounds like an assumption?

Gov socials have a habit of pushing pre scheduled content that looks like it is new information but nothing has actually changed.

I'd expect such a change change be accompanied by a small press release, which this has not.

1 minute ago, jaymann said:

Sounds like an assumption?

Gov socials have a habit of pushing pre scheduled content that looks like it is new information but nothing has actually changed.

I'd expect such a change change be accompanied by a small press release, which this has not.

Tend to concur, not clear - which is in keeping with general comms from the govt.

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not sure of justification with day 1, 6/7 and 13 testing. Perhaps it’s policing?

The only possible justification could surely be that they don't want someone isolating to become ill and end up in nobles?

Seems a massive overreaction to a tiny risk to me.  The significant risk of that happening is surely the vulnerable folk being sent away for medical treatment.

I think we can assume loads of people who travelled back last year and weren't tested would have tested positive.  I am not aware of any needing hospital treatment.

They really need to let people know what they need to see to get us back to level 4 and then level 3

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Borders just moved from 5B to 5A. If you leave now you may not be allowed to return. They haven’t yet said what the controlled way of controlling return of residents will consist of. But expect limited numbers. Possible Comis colditz?

When I returned in October I got one visit. When we returned in December we had 3 visits and two phone calls

I don't think even they would be as stupid as to go down the Comis route again. Would they?

Edited by Lxxx

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Borders just moved from 5B to 5A.

Was that announced on the radio John? Nothing on MR or IOM Newspapers websites and gov.im Covid page still showing 5B.

Edited by Uhtred

16 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Seems a massive overreaction to a tiny risk to me.

The over-reaction as you put it, is because they have nothing to go on, virtually zero test stats other than those that are symptomatic and those they have been close to, to warrant a test.

The one thing that puzzles me about the spiel coming from Public Health is that some of the venues listed recently in press releases are classed as low risk. The new variant has made sure that this is anything but low risk.

The significant risk of that happening is surely the vulnerable folk being sent away for medical treatment.

I think we can assume loads of people who travelled back last year and weren't tested would have tested positive.  I am not aware of any needing hospital treatment.

That's an interesting comment because I raised this very thing (in September, I think) about testing hospital returnees. A close neighbour who was hospitalised in Liverpool for a couple of days was told by the consultant to go and get a COVID test on arrival. Others were told to just go home and isolate for 14 days. I have always worked on the basis that if there's something out there to catch then the best place to catch it is in a hospital. So why do we still not test hospital returnees?

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The over-reaction as you put it, is because they have nothing to go on, virtually zero test stats other than those that are symptomatic and those they have been close to, to warrant a test.

The one thing that puzzles me about the spiel coming from Public Health is that some of the venues listed recently in press releases are classed as low risk. The new variant has made sure that this is anything but low risk.

That's an interesting comment because I raised this very thing (in September, I think) about testing hospital returnees. A close neighbour who was hospitalised in Liverpool for a couple of days was told by the consultant to go and get a COVID test on arrival. Others were told to just go home and isolate for 14 days. I have always worked on the basis that if there's something out there to catch then the best place to catch it is in a hospital. So why do we still not test hospital returnees?

Speaking of the new variant and the Low Risk perception.

I'm not convinced that they should keep using the 2M for 15 minutes or more to establish someone as a contact or high risk. Public Health is constantly pedalling outdated information and awareness of the virus.

I also don't agree with Dr Ewarts assessment that it makes no difference whether we know the strain or not. If we could establish the strain - quickly in an on-Island lab maybe - we can decide whether the risk is lower or higher risk at particular venues in a timely manner.

• Like 3

I'd really expect a lawyer to establish facts before starting rumours. Although admittedly the IOM Gov social messaging wasn't exactly clear, which is hardly surprising either.

As I said earlier, Gov has a habit of scheduling regular content on a daily basis that almost looks like new information, but unless its accompanied by some sort of press release, it isn't.

Edited by jaymann
  • Like 1