IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 hours ago, Johnny F said:

Not that interesting, just one persons opinion and a load of rhetorical questions. zzzzzzz, sorry.

Aye but it's on LinkedIn. Which is a bit like Facebook but for people who have some degrees and aren't hysterical 'huns'.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bellefield said:

Paul's questions are generally in line with the thoughts of a certain segment of the population, and therefore they are relevant whether the ministers like them or not.  Overall I'm happy with the presentations and the questions and answer sessions.

I think Paul must be a firm believer in all publicity is good publicity, someone referred to him as a cheap copy of Piers Morgan and that’s the sort of the vibe he brings out, very much a dog with a bone that doesn’t let go and will argue a point until you get bored to death and yet he’d still declare that a victory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Something doesn't add up. Unless things have changed very dramatically I was always told and have experienced myself that Nobles Stroke and Cardiology units and the surgeons are probably about the best you can get.

And by the way since when has Magson had coronary training... she's banker by profession.

I think there are certain tests that can only be done in Liverpool, judging by what's been said so far.  That's why she didn't need to spend much time over there - the care is as good here, but they can't do the full diagnosis.

And the way she and her partner have been treated has nothing to do with her actual condition.  It's an arbitrary bureaucratic rule with no medical or scientific reason behind it and applies to all returning patients.  So I suppose Magson can impose it just as competently as anyone.  It's just that she doesn't even have the common sense to call it out for the bullshit it is.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I think Paul must be a firm believer in all publicity is good publicity, someone referred to him as a cheap copy of Piers Morgan and that’s the sort of the vibe he brings out, very much a dog with a bone that doesn’t let go and will argue a point until you get bored to death and yet he’d still declare that a victory.

But at least he's trying.  Maybe in more than one sense of the word, but awkward questions do need to be asked.  Most of the others are ultimately employed by the Government, hoping to be employed by the Government[1] or hoping for Government advertising.

[1]  In that 2004 Irish Times article on the other thread, I couldn't help noticing that the Government PR guy was an ex-IOM Newspapers journalist (and, now retired, is a columnist for them) while the IOM Newspapers journalist interviewed now works in Government PR.  It's a neat little roundabout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

This is true and he’s about as close to it as it gets, but he’s not very good at it. He’s nervous in his delivery, unsure and often passive aggressive. It leaves him open to challenge, to ridicule, and dismissiveness. It’s a damn shame. For everyone. 

This. First few seconds it looks like he's about to ask a searching question which makes you sit up a bit straighter, but unfortunately turns into one of them fireworks that starts off brightly only for it to slowly turn back on itself and fizzle into nothingness.

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

GDPR isn't trumped by public interest. Without the consent of the guy and the patient, he can't discuss their case. No ifs and no buts. Personal data is absolutely exempt from FOI too so that doesn't help either.

If you are right then journalism would be dead. If someone, of their own volition, speaks to the press about an issue that affects the wider public and in doing some discloses personal information about themselves (willingly) how could they then go back and complain that someone had used their personal information without their consent - so long as they only used information that has been given. E.g. their names and circumstances of the matter that is public interest. 

That's how I understand gdpr anyway

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

But at what point were they imported? There’s only a few that come in at the top slot from across.

I disagree Derek. Just relying on memory, predominantly driven by the names that frequently crop up on these pages, and based on remarks made on MF by those who know, I think these following people arrived to head up something, be deputy of something, or be a ‘Director’ of something, not as middle-rankers:

Greenhow (Scottish, now Chief Secretary)

Black CEO DoI (English, started as head of H&S)

Lady Annie (English - head of airport)

Couch (English - no. 2 in tax)

Head chap at Agriculture (can’t recall name but he’s an English farmer according to some)

Charters (brought in as CEO Health - English)

Magson (brought in as CEO Health - English)

Top chap in Treasury (Randall/English??) arrived as chief of something in Treasury

Until recently Prof. Barr CEO Education, (Scottish, came as Principal of College)

I also think there are many ‘Directors’ who are imports.

The two CEO exceptions seem to be the head honcho at Enterprise who is called Lewin so I reckon he has Manx connections (plenty of Lewins in Liverpool/Merseyside mind you) and the interim guy at Education who is called Kinrade and therefore seems to be a local. I’m unsure whether Dan Davies CEO at Home Affairs is originally local but I grant you he didn’t arrive as a senior person.