IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, piebaps said:

Lost Login has been attempting to debate around the issue of how would her involvement assist ending lockdown earlier. It appears that nobody has been able to answer that and the thread has turned against him/her because of the refusal to say Doc/Rachel/ or whatever.

It appears that regardless of the merits of the discussion, the failure to use the correct title is more important. 

Its pretty usual MF stuff tbh, but I'm surprised that more of the regulars can't see this.

People HAVE answered LL’s questions. It’s there in black and white. LL’s getting repetition because he refuses to see what’s in front of him on the screen- much like what you’re seemingly doing now. People have ‘turned against him’ because in refusing to acknowledge Dr Glover’s professional qualification, he’s coming across as rude, obnoxious, and belittling. 

3 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Lost Login has been attempting to debate around the issue of how would her involvement assist ending lockdown earlier. It appears that nobody has been able to answer that and the thread has turned against him/her because of the refusal to say Doc/Rachel/ or whatever.

It appears that regardless of the merits of the discussion, the failure to use the correct title is more important. 

Its pretty usual MF stuff tbh, but I'm surprised that more of the regulars can't see this.

I think the better argument isn't around ending the current lockdown, but avoiding future ones.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I think the better argument isn't around ending the current lockdown, but avoiding future ones.

Exactly, and that point has been made.  And if we have the genomic info from this outbreak not only may it help track and trace now but it may be useful for future reference. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Exactly, and that point has been made.  And if we have the genomic info from this outbreak not only may it help track and trace now but it may be useful for future reference. 

What's left to track and trace. You don't need genomic information to track and trace...or at least we don't, clearly.

There's another island just across the water that might benefit

3 hours ago, Lost Login said:

The genomics sequencing appears not to be as the important thing is to stop transmission. 

I can understand that Genomics can give reassurance that your tracing is accurate but as from all the recent posts posting appear to indicate it can only link you to which of the clusters it may be from if there are more than one with different sequences and not to whom you caught it off I still do not see that at this point that it is extremely vital that it is done in the IoM as a matter of urgency to stop the current outbreak. Nice to have yes, crucial no. The crucial aspect is the speed of the test and tracing and people self isolating. The Genomics argument at this point is a distraction.

That's what I was trying to get across with my earlier post. The particular horse has bolted. We may have lost certain strands of the chain, the data of which would have been useful for detailed analysis but the main thing now is to strangle the onward transmission as quickly as possible by using basic testing and tracing.

Way back in April/May UK SAGE were advising UK Gov that there would very likely be a second wave and would be much worse than the first. And that has proven to be the case. Out lot at that time obviously weren't listening.

As I said earlier the decision to stop testing altogether was a shameful one. And whoever advised against continued testing needs their metaphorical balls putting in a vice, if indeed anyone did advise that. If it was a political decision then they should thank their lucky stars that so far there have been no deaths.

If they/we manage to get through this without any further deaths then it won't be because of the application of good science, only the goodwill of the folk who live here and a certain amount of luck. IOMG should give the residents more intelligence than they credit them for.

FFS! Ignoring the medical rights and wrongs for an instant. It would make good financial sense for the government to pay a local business, employing local people, paying for local services and local taxes rather than send the money offshore. Releasing money into the local economy is proven to have huge benefits over paying big corporations or out of towners in any circumstance. In the current circs, getting value for money really needs to be a consideration.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think it’s relevant to remind ourselves that back in Feb/March last year when we were looking at what was going on in Italy and beyond, and how the majority on here were suggesting lockdown, Lost Login was the one saying Covid 19 was no worse that the flu and it was all a big hype about nothing,

Just so we collectively stop wasting our precious breaths. 

Was this the same Lost Login who was adamant that they were off to play 5-a-side football during last year's distancing and lockdown measures?

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

What's left to track and trace. You don't need genomic information to track and trace...or at least we don't, clearly.

There's another island just across the water that might benefit

There are a few "unknown origin" positives where it may be useful as has been explained. 

• Thanks 1

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/05/genomic-sequencing-testing-coronavirus-what-is-it-how-used-australia-victoria-melbourne-covid-19-clusters-hotspots-outbreak

“Matching the genomic findings to epidemiological information means authorities can tell if a new patient caught a virus from a known source of the virus, and can work to identify the point or person of transmission.It also means authorities can divert resources more urgently into understanding and containing a case if genomic testing shows someone has caught a strain previously only recorded in a different geographic area.”

Edited by manxst
  • Like 1

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/04/02/sequencing-genome-sars-cov-2/

“you could use the genomic sequence to estimate the actual infected population size. So rather than just determining the number of people who have tested positive, from the genomes that we are seeing, we can estimate the total number of positive cases in the state, and that can give us a better understanding up-front of the scope of the problem. This is especially important given the limited scale of testing in some locations.”