IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

There's a lot of well-considered, articulate, thorough analysis and commentary on this matter in the foregoing pages. But there's an awful lot of it. So let me summarise:

Quayle is a small-minded twat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Suppose we haven't really moved on from rolling 'witches' down the hill.

...er, when did this change ? 

Best go and drag the old woman back in then....

No-one tells me anything.

Edited by Apple

2 minutes ago, Max Power said:

In a flash, Quayle blows the case for businesses locating to the IoM out of the water, lost like the Mona's Queen at Dunkirk!

You're damn right he has and it's about time that the rest of COMIN put their heads out now and speak out against this nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Howard knows this how exactly? He can't have decided this on his own as he has no idea and 'follows the science' so it can only be Dr Ewart and team who would put that idea into his little head? 

At one point @rachomicswas being hailed as a leading expert by government and we were lucky to have her expertise, what has changed? By the slow delivery of results from the UK, it would seem that they really don't want to have the information provided by an independent person as if it were leaked, it interferes with their hard won control over the Manx people? 

And this is the nub of the issue. Howard has to take advice from the experts employed or coopted into government.

For good or ill Rachel isn’t in that group. 

Unfortunately we don’t get to know what advice he gets. Even an anonymised précis.

We’d be unhappy if Howard was taking advice from a Rasputin like snake oil salesman. Not of the rulers, yet trying to influence them. But, despite all her qualifications, which are unimpeachable, her publications, which are peer reviewed, and her success in running her genomics company here, that is, to all extents and purposes, the position she occupies.

I understand the reason for protecting civil servants from public attack. They advise and CoMin decide. But I get the feeling Howard gets the brief supporting the decision taken but isn’t nimble in explaining it. But publishing, in précis, 4 weeks in arrears a list of the SWOT analysis points considered by CoMin would make government appear much more open.

Rachel may be right. She may not be. But she’s answerable to no one. It’s CoMin who are answerable. And it’s hard to judge if they’ve made good decisions when we don’t know the basis and have one vocal person publicly saying they should do something else.

And, you’ll recall, that one of the things that broke the relationship, testing apart, was Government saying to Rachel, as an outsider, we want you to take responsibility if we rely on you, and you get it wrong, and Rachel apparently saying stuff that for a game of soldiers. I can see both sides of that one.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Rachel may be right. She may not be. But she’s answerable to no one. It’s CoMin who are answerable. And it’s hard to judge if they’ve made good decisions when we don’t know the basis and have one vocal person publicly saying they should do something else.

Well, you see what happens when people are vocal.

Japanese proverb, I've quoted here before. "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaymann said:Disgraceful comments by the CM

Well that’s fighting fire with fire if I ever saw it. I think it would’ve been easier to send Dr Glover some samples before trying to discredit her services, very poor move from HQ, they should be building bridges not barriers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1