IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, quilp said:

Well, those curtains are absorbant and harder to keep clean, replacing them on a daily basis will be an added chore; taking them down , bagging them up, removing them for cleaning, replacing a-fresh, all very time-consuming compared to a wipe-clean with common detergents, don't you think? And, as this virus probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon the environment for adminstering vaccine treatments needs a element of permanence. Mobile screens? Yes, but again, in my opinion anyway, a proper dividing wall, fixed and enclosing a specific area is easier to manage hygienically.

Got anything to add..? 

Yes.

Still seems like massive overkill to me.

If that's the best way to do it, why is a and e just curtains (that don't reach the floor, so its much easier to mop than cubicles like in the picture?)

28 minutes ago, quilp said:

Quilp awaits condemnation and accusations of being a government shill, etc... 😁

Not really, because everything you say just confirms the foolishness and fecklessness of the project.  They're building stuff to standards that are both too high for the temporary use and inappropriate for their actual use.  There's no point in stuff being easy to wipe down if the real danger is infection between successive patients via aerosols and you're doing what you can to keep those in the cubicles - a much greater danger than distant recycling of the air.  Though if that were a danger I'm sure the breath of all those coronavirus-exhaling arriving passengers would be a much greater problem.

I don't think the DoI has much of direct workforce any more - everything will have been done by contractors (some were mentioned above).  No doubt providing for for the favoured was part of the DoI's motivation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barlow said:

This is vaccination though.

If we are preparing for a huge number of severe Covid cases then I can see the possible need for these areas to be used as overflow hospital facilities. That must surely be the case.

Is there something we are not being told?

It would'd get no more use than the Nightingale Hospitals did.  The shortage (as has been explained on here recently) is not of physical beds or the space to put them in, but of staff to treat the sick.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It would'd get no more use than the Nightingale Hospitals did.  The shortage (as has been explained on here recently) is not of physical beds or the space to put them in, but of staff to treat the sick.

Nightingale hospitals are currently being used? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-devon-55735684

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, quilp said:

Well, those curtains are absorbant and harder to keep clean, replacing them on a daily basis will be an added chore; taking them down , bagging them up, removing them for cleaning, replacing a-fresh, all very time-consuming compared to a wipe-clean with common detergents, don't you think? And, as this virus probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon the environment for adminstering vaccine treatments needs a element of permanence. Mobile screens? Yes, but again, in my opinion anyway, a proper dividing wall, fixed and enclosing a specific area is easier to manage hygienically.

Got anything to add..? 

Permanence? This is the main hall of our national airport!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, manxst said:

Nightingale hospitals are currently being used? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-devon-55735684

I was referring more to their lack of use in the Spring.  Though you'll note that they have had to draft in the military to operate that one and again similar stories in the Spring turned out to be more about press releases than patients.  Even in this story, the local Trusts said they hadn't actually seen any of these promised extra staff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

It is indeed, but it'll be months before it's used to accommodate our usual, normal levels of passenger traffic because of the covid situation in the UK and elsewhere, restrictions will still be in force and inbound travellers quite possibly having to have a test on arrival, in situ, pending their result, provided we have an accurate accelerated test and the facility to carry it out. Israel awaits FDA approval on a breath test for Covid which, they claim, will provide a result in about an hour. It'll also be months before our vaccination program has reached the majority of our population and anything like herd immunity is attained on the Island. It may well be that locally we will reach a point similar to where we were before this current lockdown. But as far as normal functioning down at Ronaldsway goes, we're still quite a way from it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, finlo said:

I thought that too (see above post), but on reflection....

Plus, as I've posted on the thread in the International section, stats now emerging from UK suggest that only 17% of those becoming infected are presenting themselves for test - and only 4 out of 10 confirmed cases are bothering to complete their necessary isolation period, all of which will be contributing to the virus running riot.

Until the UK gets its shit together, travel in either direction is going to have to be discouraged and/or carefully monitored, meaning the airport will be a lot quieter.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, quilp said:

It is indeed, but it'll be months before it's used to accommodate our usual, normal levels of passenger traffic because of the covid situation in the UK and elsewhere, restrictions will still be in force and inbound travellers quite possibly having to have a test on arrival, in situ, pending their result, provided we have an accurate accelerated test and the facility to carry it out. Israel awaits FDA approval on a breath test for Covid which, they claim, will provide a result in about an hour. It'll also be months before our vaccination program has reached the majority of our population and anything like herd immunity is attained on the Island. It may well be that locally we will reach a point similar to where we were before this current lockdown. But as far as normal functioning down at Ronaldsway goes, we're still quite a way from it.

I bet the queues for the toilets will be longer than for the vaccinations.

The sense of permanence will create an atmosphere where people will want to linger, which is the last thing you really want.

Wouldn't surprise me if they open the cafe upstairs!

An absolute waste of resources, time and money.

The Isle of Man..... Where you can.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I bet the queues for the toilets will be longer than for the vaccinations.

The sense of permanence will create an atmosphere where people will want to linger, which is the last thing you really want.

Wouldn't surprise me if they open the cafe upstairs!

An absolute waste of resources, time and money.

The Isle of Man..... Where you can.

I could see this being part of the rumoured we need a new terminal plan by the spendthrifts and movie stars at the airport ! I sincerely hope not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1