IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

I wasn’t consulted but thank f*** someone has come forward!

Makes complete sense.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I wasn’t consulted but thank f*** someone has come forward!

Makes complete sense.

Agreed completely.

A very intelligent group of people that I'd trust the judgement of far greater than some of those in Gov.

Edited by jaymann
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Agreed completely.

A very intelligent group of people that I'd trust the judgement of far greater than some of those in Gov.

i agree with their statement, but the border relaxation should be for the benefit of all island residents "everyone", that's you me, everyone. Not just because the gaming companies can't fly in their Mandarin speaking admin for their far eastern betting sites.

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, asitis said:

I could see this being part of the rumoured we need a new terminal plan by the spendthrifts and movie stars at the airport ! I sincerely hope not.

The funds should be used to turn Ward 20 into a self-contained epidemic facility or a new-build able to handle COVID and other hitherto unknown virus. As I said at the very beginning of this blog the decision not to replace the White Hoe with another isolation unit as part of a national health strategy plan was a balls-up. The facility could be used for non-urgent hospital use, day patient services etc. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

I could see this being part of the rumoured we need a new terminal plan by the spendthrifts and movie stars at the airport ! I sincerely hope not.

I would have though,

The new project manager just flown over for this high costing logistical nightmare of a construction project

was told to use somewhere he knew.

The Airport.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

The question is...

Why? Why are they spending so much money and doing this one job to such an extremely high standard?

Prestige? Photo opportunities and publicity that the Island is at the forefront of vaccination procedure? To encourage more people to relocate here? To show the public that they're doing a very very very good job?

Why?

0B5E443E-4E99-4211-A392-B31C7AA87334.png

"’For the moment, we need to continue our policy of local elimination while we vaccinate our most vulnerable. Once that is done, then maybe we can pivot. Mapping out what this might look like and what the triggers might be is under way. When I have more news then of course I will share that with you.’"

Good to know that this is "underway" only 12 months after we first became aware of the situation.

There is an awful lot we can learn from the countries who already had pandemic plans in place.  Maybe our civil service is understaffed and its taken this long for anyone to start to think about a way out of this.

Where you can, world leading, freedom to flourish,  nimble jurisdiction 

Should have been ahead of the curve and the rest of the world on this one.  Loads of sensible people with good track records in the private sector willing to help and being  kept at arms length.

With the exception of Mark Lewin, is there anyone in CS who actually has useful experience in a non CS role?  Even in Lewin's case I fear he has been there so long now he will have been converted.

• Like 1

I can visualise the chain of conversations that let to this further example of Government profligacy running along the lines of:

Minister Ashford - we need a vaccination hub in the South of the Island.

Civil Servant - we can do that but we will need to employ a building consultant to design it and oversee it and we will need to put it in the most inaccessible place for the elderly and those with limited mobility.

Consultant - its Government and my fee will be based on a percentage of the total cost so lets build the most expensive set up possible - we will however need an architect to design it.

Architect - its Government and my fee will be based on a percentage of the total cost so lets design the most expensive, visually exciting but totally impractical set up. 

Builder - its a rush job for Government so I can charge what I want for something that won't have to last - it just needs to look good.   

It happens all the time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

Agreed completely.

The problem is in what is going to be maintaining what appears to be the aim of making IoM a completely Covid-free zone ("obliterating" it was HQ's term yesterday?).

That is probably achievable given the geography but if it's attained it's going to take a superhuman effort and far more stringent borders policing than we have seen to date (IMHO) in order to keep it out, particularly given the state of affairs in UK presently.

But those stringencies are going to create a perennial problem for travel, business or otherwise, given the proven unreliability of self-isolation to date, if we are going to maintain this Covid-free environment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

But those stringencies are going to create a perennial problem for travel, business or otherwise, given the proven unreliability of self-isolation to date, if we are going to maintain this Covid-free environment.

IMO...There will have to be a date provided once the vaccination roll out has been 'completed' and assessed. Covid, like flu will be a perennial problem - and those refusing or unable to be vaccinated will simply have to face up to the risks of that. That risk should be minimised through vaccine derived herd immunity.

However, there will be no vaccination for children until at least August, so that date could take us into 2022.

And then there will likely, as with the annual flu jab, be a covid annual top up too.

People will be dying from Covid for many years to come...but hopefully the risk of spread and death will be minimised...but will never go away.

People will need to take the need for an annual flu/covid jab far more seriously...not necessarily just those more vulnerable but those more likely to spread it too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1