IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

39 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Sir Patrick Vallance says UK B117 variant is more deadly, but its ok Henrietta says we don't need to do anything differently with our initial measures ffs. 

But what would we do differently?

Can't see any conflict with Dr Henny and her path

Edited by Happier diner

9 minutes ago, Tricky said:

For me, its about time people started showing some gratitude for the relative safety we have, rather than whining at every single opportunity.

I think everyone is grateful. For sure.

But there can be no resting on laurels. And it may not seem overly relevant  - but it is - stuff like shredding letters during a pandemic doesn't help to convince people that everything we are being told is hunky dory and straight.

• Like 6

Just now, Barlow said:

I think everyone is grateful. For sure.

But there can be no resting on laurels. And it may not seem overly relevant  - but it is - stuff like shredding letters during a pandemic doesn't help to convince people that everything we are being told is hunky dory and straight.

But that's gone and no amount of whinging is going to change it, so how's about people focus on the future, rather than getting caught up in past issues.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Johnny F said:

Sir Patrick Vallance says UK B117 variant is more deadly, but its ok Henrietta says we don't need to do anything differently with our initial measures ffs. 

Not if the reason is only because it is more deadly[1] if our measures are already high.  You'd want to change what you did though if for example it had a longer incubation period or produced a higher viral load.

[1]  I'm not convinced it is, though I haven't checked in detail.  But I've noticed the 'new' strain being used to excuse a lot of failings that could otherwise be laid at the door of UK government policy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

..... oh pipe down & get back behind your sofa with your skateboard helmet on Pingu.

Do you seriously believe that Covid is just a scare / hoax? That it's them? And who are they? And why? 

Perhaps it's you who should put the pipe down :)  Or are you just pretending to sound like the crazies?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Well, I trust Henrietta 100%.

For the last 7 or so months, the IOM has been one of the safest places in the world to live, much in part to the work undertaken by her and her team. The UK, on the other hand, has been on its arse ever since case #1. 

To think, all those who have been kicking off about a few weeks of lockdown (which is working), try living in the UK over the same period. 

Then we have those also kicking off regarding supposed 'over policing'. Well, the following is an excerpt from a Whatsapp chat with a friend living in Portugal:

"Get this. I was in the supermarket earlier, shopping for groceries. Someone known to have tested positive for covid was spotted by store staff. The store announced that everyone barring the covid positive individual leave the store with immediate effect. If the covid positive person tried to leave the store, the store will be locked and police will be called. 19 people stayed in the store (all covid positive)!"

For me, its about time people started showing some gratitude for the relative safety we have, rather than whining at every single opportunity.

I think we should be grateful for the Manx public at large for being compliant and for having perhaps a greater understanding and grasp of what's going on around them than 'they' think. 

It's been said before, closing the border is an easy decision to make. Getting them back open is going to be more problematic without a box with all the proper tools at our disposal.

We haven't yet heard from The Director of Public Health what the plan is to allow that to happen. When she withdrew testing back in the summer (assuming it was her recommendation) it was a mistake and she probably knows it. 

Until I see a document laying out what she believes will be the models for opening up the Island then I might have some confidence in her. Until that happens I'm afraid people will speculate all sorts of things resulting in the negativity that you read on here.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think we should be grateful for the Manx public at large for being compliant and for having perhaps a greater understanding and grasp of what's going on around them than 'they' think. 

It's been said before, closing the border is an easy decision to make. Getting them back open is going to be more problematic without a box with all the proper tools at our disposal.

We haven't yet heard from The Director of Public Health what the plan is to allow that to happen. When she withdrew testing back in the summer (assuming it was her recommendation) it was a mistake and she probably knows it. 

Until I see a document laying out what she believes will be the models for opening up the Island then I might have some confidence in her. Until that happens I'm afraid people will speculate all sorts of things resulting in the negativity that you read on here.

Doubt we will see the document from advisors as Howie doesn’t like to publish anything, Tynwald asked for the advice from Coronavirus emergency committee to be published and Ashie successfully got this pushed back to March Tynwald, why?

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

People will speculate/talk shite regardless of whether information is released or not. If Gov put info in the public domain, the die hard naysayers on here, Facebook etc will whinge... why are they putting this here, why don't they put it there, they opened to early, I wish they would open sooner ffs... and so on. If Gov withhold info, people will whinge... why don't they tell us what's going on, they fact they won't tell us means they don't know what to do... and so on. The old opinions and assholes analogy applies here... only issue I have is trying to establish which of the two we have more of.

In summary, people will whinge because that's what they would rather do than do as they are told. 

• Like 2

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

What would we do differently if a strain that the vaccine potentially wasn't effective against  or future strains that may be more deadly emerged here? I don't know. I would hope something. What do you think we would do?

Well we don't develop vaccines so I guess all we could do is what we do now