IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

26 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

'Karens' and 'Flakes'

I venture to suggest (helmet donned and standing-by for incoming) that the vast majority of the aforementioned are 'as Manx as the hills,' (and probably as old) and their lives on our Irish Sea 'Alcatraz' will simply plod on and on and on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

There will be brains and logic in that HOK building but we have a CM and a HM who think they are now world experts in pandemics. DA appears to have assumed the position of world health expert just because he's learned the words. Once they decided to assume those positions I would imagine they're protective over them and unwilling to hand the reins over to someone who really is adept in planning for every eventuality. That's what we, as Island residents deserve but instead we are treated to this charade over and over.

It's dangerous and it's wrong.

They are making no decisions on their own.  That is factual.  This perception they are doing what they want is disturbing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

They are making no decisions on their own.  That is factual.  This perception they are doing what they want is disturbing.

From Day 1 I said they would be following PHE and almost to the letter. It seems, however, that they haven't looked at the wider risks out there. Or if they have, they've failed with the continuous assessment of the risk & protocols they've put in place.

Edited by Andy Onchan

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Unless there’s unknown community spread then Howie should just follow his plans which say no lockdown or restrictions required.

The situation with steam packet is the same with all transport staff everywhere , it’s impossible for them to quarantine when finishing work. Imagine all the truckers &?ferry workers in uk stopping work every time they return from continent 

This is correct. The SP has always had protocols in place. However, it is a matter of sticking to them. Manx and UK crews were never supposed to meet or mix. The boat is supposed to be cleaned between each change of shift. Manx crews were not supposed to even leave the boat in uk. Passenger facing crew were supposed to wear PPE. In return, Manx crews were seen as local workers and did not need to isolate.

Over The months things have slipped. Now we may be paying the price. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

No need to panic and lockdown anything at present, Guernsey who Howie always compares us to have had 2 new cases including one from unknown source today and still carrying on with easing of restrictions from Monday, none of this elimination shit from there 

Shall we gloss over their immediate lockdown with the first community cases?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-55778780

Their lockdown was so strict, even takeaways were shut and non-essential deliveries were stopped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-56097453

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
missing word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Shall we gloss over their immediate lockdown with the first community cases?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-55778780

Their lockdown was so strict, even takeaways were shut and non-essential deliveries were stopped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-56097453

The post was to show our peers have abandoned the elimination strategy and are still easing restrictions with community cases, their lockdown was because of 100s of community cases across multiple schools, supermarkets etc not the few we had in January when we waited 21 days after last community cases to reopen 

I thought the circuit breaks were a case of trying to stop the hospitals from being overwhelmed rather than total elimination of the virus?

We need to realise that this is here and won't go away, we need to learn to live with it and to keep the balance of 'normality' vs 'breakdown of NHS'.

Why not bring in the wearing of masks? It may not be the best, but if it stops person X spreading it to person Y then is it not worth it? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

The post was to show our peers have abandoned the elimination strategy and are still easing restrictions with community cases, their lockdown was because of 100s of community cases across multiple schools, supermarkets etc not the few we had in January when we waited 21 days after last community cases to reopen 

1771458812_Screenshot2021-02-19at11_28_41.png.de0e1cbb24be7fb55225e8fe4caad1ab.png

That's the first line of the article.

What they're doing is moving into a more relaxed stage, as we did last time, when circulation is dropping. The circuit breaker here was to try and nip it in the bud, so we didn't get to that position.

Note that we could have easily been in the same situation, but got lucky.

Realistically, I think we'll have measures brought in if we get more than a couple of cases more picked up.

2 minutes ago, Maire said:

I thought the circuit breaks were a case of trying to stop the hospitals from being overwhelmed rather than total elimination of the virus?

We need to realise that this is here and won't go away, we need to learn to live with it and to keep the balance of 'normality' vs 'breakdown of NHS'.

Why not bring in the wearing of masks? It may not be the best, but if it stops person X spreading it to person Y then is it not worth it? 

We went for elimination instead of suppression officially late last year. They've since reaffirmed that approach in various press conferences.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's stating the obvious to talk of a time in the future when we return to more or less normal and live with cases of the virus. There is no need to prepare people for that because everyone knows that this is inevitable and right. It's what everyone wants. The important point is that the time to begin returning to normal will be when infection rates are very much lower globally - but especially in the UK and Europe.

The implication that a somehow influential frightened minority needs to be mentally prepared for this is offensive and stupid. Those making such comments have generally opposed lockdown, travel restrictions and other measures from the start - to a lesser or greater extent. They've a lot in common with Covid conspiracy nutters.

There is a lady I pass most days who literally jumps into the hedge, facing away from passers by as you pass her. She is absolutely  petrified. There are lots of people who are 'in my opinion' scared beyond what is reasonable and proportionate, and fear takes time to subside. I personally think reasonable and proportionate is something that went out of the window some months ago (especially in the UK). It is just my opinion, to which I am entitled, in the same way that you are rightly entitled to yours, so let's try to refrain from using phrases such as nutters and stupid. You are better than that. BTW, I agree conspiracy theories are not helpful, and have been able to propagate because of the climate of fear.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It is just my opinion, to which I am entitled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_entitled_to_my_opinion#:~:text=I'm entitled to my opinion or I have a,"Let's agree to disagree".

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

It's what flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, anti-capitalists and conspiracy nutters in general will often say - that facts are just one point of view but that they are entitled to theirs.

2 minutes ago, pongo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_entitled_to_my_opinion#:~:text=I'm entitled to my opinion or I have a,"Let's agree to disagree".

https://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

It's what flat-earthers, anti-vaxxers, anti-capitalists and conspiracy nutters in general will often say - that facts are just one point of view but that they are entitled to theirs.

Very good description of yourself in final paragraph 

• Like 1