IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I have no "agenda".

The Genomics thing is just boring.  It simply doesn't alter strategy and we get the results anyway (for what they are worth).

No idea about the Richard Glover comment from tosspot.   Must be building site humour.

No, but that's not what it is. There's no silver bullet.

Genomics is part of a toolkit for real-time outbreak management. How many mechanics, when offered use of a valuable tool, no different to the one they are using, except from taking less time to arrive, at no cost to them would huff and say "no, we can this one I have to wait 5+ days for instead" with an urgent job?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not just being as Ass/Troll on purpose. Its an interesting subject and the potential of this testing of course is clear. However, I'm just honestly not seeing the benefits to us at this moment in time and I agree with Ashford (or whoever is advising him) that as we are it wouldn't help

Make your mind up fella. Not trolling? No, of course not....

DDBFC0E5-DA09-4568-B705-B1A5C8416520.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

No, but that's not what it is. There's no silver bullet.

Genomics is part of a toolkit for real-time outbreak management. How many mechanics, when offered use of a valuable tool, no different to the one they are using, except from taking less time to arrive, at no cost to them would huff and say "no, we can this one I have to wait 5+ days for instead" with an urgent job?

That is exactly the point, there is no single answer but a combination of weapons to fight this with. I just can't understand why they are not all being used.  Say, another lockdown is proposed because it looks like there is more than one cluster operating, wouldn't it be good to have genomics to confirm or otherwise?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is exactly the point, there is no single answer but a combination of weapons to fight this with. I just can't understand why they are not all being used.  Say, another lockdown is proposed because it looks like there is more than one cluster operating, wouldn't it be good to have genomics to confirm or otherwise?

Good. But not vital. Its that tool that's in my toolbox that I only use for special projects. Think its called a spirit level.:o

24 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think the other thing to reinforce is:

Genomics doesn't replace contact tracing.

But, you only have a certain contact tracing capacity, genomics helps you target that to the right places.

If my understanding is correct, it would also 100% confirm that Person A did catch it from Person B and so could prove the transmission chain. At the moment whilst there's a high level of certainty that for example the 2 cases in Java are linked, there is still a chance that they aren't. Much prefer it when there's certainty.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Every time a virus moves from person it varies slightly but it still carries with it markers of the previous infection.

I am not sure that is true though is it?. There are certainly several thousand strains of Sars cov 2. The website here puts it at 3931 worldwide, though doubtless there will be strains that haven't had genomic studies done. Either way, during that time there have been over 100 million people infected worldwide, so clearly it doesn't mutate every time it gets transmitted. In fact, if the figure is anywhere near correct, it overwhelmingly doesn't mutate when it passes from one person to another, and it is apparently considered to be a very stable virus.

If that is the case, whilst I can see the value of genomics in trying to connect seemingly unrelated cases, and looking back at historic data (and every little helps in the fight), some of the claims about its ability to track routes of transmission seem a bit optimistic. Perhaps I have misunderstood something and @rachomics might have a take on it