IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

8 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

Does anyone actually know whether when the genomics comes back from Liverpool (I think that Dr Ewart said we had everything for cases up to 22 Feb?), is it just used for checking which variant or do they actually use it to check chains of transmission?

I’d hazard a guess that the transmission chain result is an optional extra which we’d have to pay for, given that it would need to be cross checked against other cases. In which case, there’s no chance we use it, especially when that money could be used for tynwald pay rises to reward our heroes when all this is over (said only half joking...). 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

So will that be another positive test last night then....

I think it may be one of the existing ones but suppose we’ll find out later .

They just posted update that customer was asymptomatic on visiting & developed symptoms a few days later but sat with back to next table 

Edited by Banker
Update

32 minutes ago, Banker said:

Was just looking at Mona Lisa Facebook to check deals and they have just posted that a positive case visited them last Thursday 25/02 but it’s ok it’s low risk!! Only got call this morning from 111

A day later than any other venues listed so far, so almost certainly a new case.  There were 23 awaiting results yesterday, so presumably one of those.  The person has since contacted the restaurant directly with more details of where they sat and so on.  They also seem to have symptoms, so they may be a casual or unlinked contact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

I think it may be one of the existing ones but suppose we’ll find out later .

They just posted update that customer was asymptomatic on visiting & developed symptoms a few days later but sat with back to next table 

If it was one of the existing unknown cases, it should have appeared in the previous list of locations of interest....assuming they remembered they’d been. It is more likely to be through contact with one of the two weekend cases or a new unexplained case.

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

If it was one of the existing unknown cases, it should have appeared in the previous list of locations of interest....assuming they remembered they’d been. It is more likely to be through contact with one of the two weekend cases or a new unexplained case.

I'd be inclined to agree that it is something that has emerged recently.

Usually, the venue will announce it ahead of an updated list later in the day. I'd suspect contact tracing are well underway in contacting anywhere impacted.

The last few pages with people talking about how easy it would be for people to forget where they have been or lie just reinforce my belief that an app would be a useful addition to the armory.  In my opinion more useful than genomics for actually shutting down an outbreak and identifying and isolating people quickly.

I get that some disagree, but given people have suggested previously that local businesses were prepared to provide it for free  I can't get the local uproar about Dr Glover being turned Down to offer to help provide something that helps identify transmission chains but has no impact on getting people out of circulation quickly and (fairly) reliably but noone cares that we have to wait days for a vague list of venues when we could have had a world class solution for free?

It was free.  Zero harm done by implementing it even if not everyone signed up.  Run it alongside the manual process we have now and at least some people would be alerted quickly.

Putting out venues and dates when people were there just panics people who might not have even been with half a mile of the infected person.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Manx Yeller said:

To quote Ewart "Contract tracing is not an exact science". I'd argue it isn't even a science but there you go. What is an exact science is genomics. Contract tracing relies on the person involved remembering and disclosing exactly where they've been for a period of time. How easily would you recall everywhere you've been even if just for 5 minutes over the last week? It may well be that genomics proves that these unexplained cases are actually linked directly to an explained case. Or worse case, it shows the path to them so at least the team could concentrate on finding the missing link easier as they are no longer looking for a needle in a haystack.

Doctor Ewart followed that quote by saying .."we are very lucky to have a highly experienced team of contact tracers who are extremely good at eliciting the full context of where people have been, when they were there, but what were they doing there..." etc

I am sure we have a great team of context tracers, but how can they be highly experienced?  

I do think people should keep their shop receipts etc as a basis for a diary. Contact tracers may well be doing a good job but they aren't psychic.

But maybe it doesn't matter now because the pandemic is nearly over. anyway.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, manxst said:

I’d hazard a guess that the transmission chain result is an optional extra which we’d have to pay for

That's an interesting comment insofar as The MBE was quite categorical on what the cost is for all testing being carried out in LPL.... zero.

That, I think, is probably a significant factor and/or excuse as to why they won't/can't use Taxagenomics.

39 minutes ago, manxst said:

I’d hazard a guess that the transmission chain result is an optional extra which we’d have to pay for, given that it would need to be cross checked against other cases. In which case, there’s no chance we use it, especially when that money could be used for tynwald pay rises to reward our heroes when all this is over (said only half joking...). 

I would imagine that the Liverpool laboratory just give us the results and out PH team interpret the results.

The results do seem to take a long time to get back and whilst (and everybody knows this) I am one of a number of members who are sceptical about the benefits to rapid test, track and trace, that being the most important thing to prioritise. I have never doubted the value of getting the results at some time.

You could say 

I am a firm member of the

notsosureaboutthebenefitsofgenomic sequencingintheimmediatetesttrackingandcontrolofoutbreaks society

I also a member of the 5days/3days/2.25daysorwhateverresultsdoesntmakeabigdifference club

But I am not a member (and never have been)  of the genomicsequencingisnouseandresultsofgenomictestingisokevenif6,7,8,9,10orevennever society

:D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

No action or explanation about the Steam Packet not following protocols brought into protect our borders other than a misunderstanding!

Would  an ordinary punter be treated in a similar way?

They're hardly going to jail all the Steam packet crew. There will be some panic buying then.