IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Whatnonsence said:

No action or explanation about the Steam Packet not following protocols brought into protect our borders other than a misunderstanding!

Would  an ordinary punter be treated in a similar way?

Given the government thought Steam Packet staff were isolating I have to wonder why not a single check was performed over the last year. Surely a phone call or visit to a crew members house would have exposed the miscommunication.

The whole thing stinks of back covering bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thinking more about accuracy of contact tracing.

The app is completely Annoymouse, zero risk to me of pressing the button to say I tested positive as noone knows who else it then alerts.

If I got a call to say 111 had identified me as a close contact using our current system Mrs Turd (she loves it when I call her that) would ask to know where I had been to be at risk, why  wasn't she identified etc.

Would I tell 111 if I had met a mate in 1886 for lunch last week when the boss thought I was doing a job in Boots? Nope

Would I tell 111 that I have been meeting Sandra from accounts for lunch every Thursday for the last 124 Thursdays and counting? Nope

Would the app ping anybody like Sandra without me ever having to disclose that info or her or her family ever even know where she had been at risk. Yes

Edited by horatiotheturd
Haven't known Sandra for as long as I thought I had

2 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Given the government thought Steam Packet staff were isolating I have to wonder why not a single check was performed over the last year. Surely a phone call or visit to a crew members house would have exposed the miscommunication.

Yes, I thought similar. Given the fact that the ports are the weakest points we have for allowing Covid to enter the island, you would have thought the relevant gov department would have maybe audited the sea and air port to ensure relevant staff were adhering to policy. 
Certainly would have picked up problems like this and would have been the responsible thing to do.

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You want an 'anonymous' tracking app to hide your skiving and philandering?

In the whole scheme of things, and relating back to something @Roger Mexico was talking about in terms of potential sources of transmission (clothing, post etc), I think it's far more likely that skiving, philandering, or simply people meeting up when perhaps they shouldn't be are reasons for 'unknown' sources of infection than the inanimate or surface route.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

No action or explanation about the Steam Packet not following protocols brought into protect our borders other than a misunderstanding!

Would  an ordinary punter be treated in a similar way?

To be fair over the last year there's been no issue.  

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

That's an interesting comment insofar as The MBE was quite categorical on what the cost is for all testing being carried out in LPL.... zero.

That, I think, is probably a significant factor and/or excuse as to why they won't/can't use Taxagenomics.

Taxagenomics have offered it for free. As far as they're concerned, they can write off the costs as a donation.

14 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Rear Admiral Woodcock (sometimes known as the CEO of IOMSPCo) has been unusually quiet about this saga. He's normally straight on to the media defending the IOMSPCo but so far I haven't heard or seen anything from him. I wonder why?

12 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

They're hardly going to jail all the Steam packet crew. There will be some panic buying then.

Surely if they have broken the law there would be no choice

It depends if the exemption certificate is issued to the company or to the individuals. If its to the individuals then I don't know how that stands

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Taxagenomics have offered it for free. As far as they're concerned, they can write off the costs as a donation.

Sorry, AC that doesn't make sense, how would it benefit them to write it off as a donation when as a company it doesn't pay tax? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Surely if they have broken the law there would be no choice

Some comedy gold from yesterday's media briefing:

28/02/2021 15:40  Alex Bell asks about the Steam Packet

'A genuine misunderstanding'? Alex asks who is accountable.

Chief Minister reiterates that this has been a misunderstanding.

CM happy to draw a line under the situation.

He says there are lessons to be learned.

Alex says rules have to be black and white.

CM says it was a misunderstanding.

There will be no prosecution or any further action for the time being.