IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

It was fortunate that your daughter wasn’t working last Saturday/Sunday especially HRH The Chief Minister comment that businesses or people closing for those two days won’t be paid. 

That was wrong as well. 

It just makes me angry that MHKs can sit virtually because of underlying conditions but teachers and students with underlying conditions are forced to attend in person. 

My daughter worked long hours providing virtual schooling during the last lockdown - and would be happy to do so again. 

This is obviously spreading in the schools so why are they still open while Tynwald sits virtually? It's hypocrisy plain and simple. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Their current attitude/response might suggest: Now the majority of the vulnerable have been vaccinated...they might be moving us into the first phase of us having to accept the virus for the long term and just take precautions? And only shut down where there is actual infection.

?

Discuss!

Like wearing a durex (other brands are available) when having sex? 

1 minute ago, Zarley said:

That was wrong as well. 

It just makes me angry that MHKs can sit virtually because of underlying conditions but teachers and students with underlying conditions are forced to attend in person. 

My daughter worked long hours providing virtual schooling during the last lockdown - and would be happy to do so again. 

This is obviously spreading in the schools so why are they still open while Tynwald sits virtually? It's hypocrisy plain and simple. 

Let’s really be honest, in a real world, I won’t let Tynpotwald or the HOK virtually sit and it’s a waste of time, money and resources. There isn’t a realistic brain cell between them to actually come up with practical solutions. It’s the civil servants running the show, and they haven’t enamoured themselves either!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Their current attitude/response might suggest: Now the majority of the vulnerable have been vaccinated...they might be moving us into the first phase of us having to accept the virus for the long term and just take precautions? And only shut down where there is actual infection.

?

Discuss!

There are plenty vulnerable people who have yet to be vaccinated. It's too early to "accept the virus".

Surely waiting another month or two while more of the vulnerable are vaccinated would be the prudent, humane thing to do?

To be clear, I agree that we must "accept the virus" soon but right now is too soon.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

I just can't believe that they are so far removed from reality that they couldn't see this was going to cause major grief for the majority of IoM residents. Do I send my kids to school today? Do I go to work today? They've got this one unbelievably wrong.

Well you should stop panicking.  This is a prime example of the problem.

Why wouldn't you go to work or send your kids to school?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Because our glorious leaders say that it’s too scary to go to work themselves, and are supposed to be the example we all look up to and take inspiration from....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

?

Discuss!

I half agree I’m not sure a lockdown will be called at 10:00. Not because of the vaccination per see but because clearly we can’t afford to underwrite another £10 to £12M a month for everyone to be sent home gain. We have civil servants to pay as a priority and we can’t have money being diverted to people in a less fortunate position if we stop them from working. 

Just now, CowMan said:

I half agree I’m not sure a lockdown will be called at 10:00. Not because of the vaccination per see but because clearly we can’t afford to underwrite another £10 to £12M a month for everyone to be sent home gain. We have civil servants to pay as a priority and we can’t have money being diverted to people in a less fortunate position if we stop them from working. 

Most civil servants can work from home anyway. The magic of a laptop and a VPN server. 

Something is definitely different this time round though. At the highest level, I don’t think the situation in January was as bad as they anticipated, the circuit breaker didn’t have much to interrupt. 

So, after getting lucky once, they thought they’d give a more relaxed approach a go. This keeps Alf and his money tree happy, and with any luck it would have just blown over. 

5 minutes ago, manxst said:

Because our glorious leaders say that it’s too scary to go to work themselves, and are supposed to be the example we all look up to and take inspiration from....

Exactly this!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I'm not panicking Terry. I'd just like more information to enable me to make informed decisions when it comes to the health of me and my family. If for example they said why it was just year 8 that needed to isolate and why they believe it doesn't affect other years that have been in contact with year 8 on the bus, or in the corridors etc, then it makes decision making easier. After all, the politicians themselves will be working from home today so not exactly filling everyone with confidence that all is well ..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

?

Discuss!

This is the future.  People should get used to it.

Essentially most are asymptomatic.   There is one guy in hospital and he's improved  to the point he should be out today or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, no one is allowed into A and E apart from the person who needs attention, operations are not being done (or barely being done unless critical) so waiting lists increase, and we now face another lockdown (or close to it) which causes further issues for more than it solves issues for.

Just now, Manx Yeller said:

I'm not panicking Terry. I'd just like more information to enable me to make informed decisions when it comes to the health of me and my family. If for example they said why it was just year 8 that needed to isolate and why they believe it doesn't affect other years that have been in contact with year 8 on the bus, or in the corridors etc, then it makes decision making easier. After all, the politicians themselves will be working from home today so not exactly filling everyone with confidence that all is well ..

Politicians working from home is overly cautious BS really.  Which is the watchword these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TerryFuchwit said:

This is the future.  People should get used to it.

Essentially most are asymptomatic.   There is one guy in hospital and he's improved  to the point he should be out today or tomorrow.

Meanwhile, no one is allowed into A and E apart from the person who needs attention, operations are not being done (or barely being done unless critical) so waiting lists increase, and we now face another lockdown (or close to it) which causes further issues for more than it solves issues for.

Everyone agrees that there is a tipping point when COVID will become the norm in circulation. 

That point is when all of the priority groups have been vaccinated. 

Until then, the official policy is local elimination. That’s it. Everything will be disrupted far more if we have a widespread and sustained on-island outbreak at the moment.

So, it won’t change strategy for months yet, move on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Politicians working from home is overly cautious BS really.  Which is the watchword these days.

It's a bit like the government announcing: "Yes, something important is going to be announced - meanwhile please don't worry even though your government has already headed to the air raid shelter. More at 10am!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1