IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Sorry, it’s still something that angers me to this day and the mention of his name or the accident make my teeth itch.

To put you in the loop he who can’t be named was driving a Mercedes rather fast towards Hillberry, after not scrubbing enough speed off he rounds the corner on the wrong side of the road (he blamed brake failure, no evidence found) and hit an oncoming biker who was travelling in the opposite direction, in her own lane and through no fault of her own was killed.

Some things are better laid to rest but there appeared to be absolutely zero justice whatsoever.

Yes, terrible incident. However, it went to court with all the evidence and witnesses which his lawyers compiled and he was given 'the benefit of the doubt' and a lesser sentence. I think this may have been because he hit the nearside wall before the car was thrown into the path of the lady and he didn't cut the corner deliberately? I may be wrong, I can't remember now, it was a Saab though.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CowMan said:

Official NHS advice says that most of the year normal sunshine is more than sufficient. It’s only October to early March that are the blind spots. Staying in now will likely mean that you aren’t fully topping up what you lost in the last few months.

No - what they advise is that appx half the year people are not getting enough. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

From about late March/early April to the end of September, most people should be able to get all the vitamin D they need from sunlight.

The body creates vitamin D from direct sunlight on the skin when outdoors.

But between October and early March we do not get enough vitamin D from sunlight. Read more about vitamin D and sunlight.

47 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well that’s good, at least he’s now on their radar if anything else happens in the future, it was a missed gear change away from having a big smash.

I'm not sure about that really.  It's slow moving traffic and it's really a quick blip of the throttle (and you would have dropped it a gear already).

It isn't a good piece of driving by any means. But there will have been equally if not more so dangerous pieces of driving on that road yesterday.

41 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I wonder if the original news article would be stored anywhere? Imuseum or similar?

iMuseum only has online copies of the papers up to about 1960, so you'd have to go through the paper copies (which of course you can't at the moment).  I noticed that MNH had submitted a bid for "Digitisation of IOM Newspapers iMuseum" for £284,000 over three years (21-24).  I suspect this would cover the period from 1960 onwards, but it got refused.  Maybe there's some people who don't want the recent past to be too easily available online.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, terrible incident. However, it went to court with all the evidence and witnesses which his lawyers compiled and he was given 'the benefit of the doubt' and a lesser sentence. I think this may have been because he hit the nearside wall before the car was thrown into the path of the lady and he didn't cut the corner deliberately? I may be wrong, I can't remember now, it was a Saab though.   

Yes Saab and not a Mercedes, I’m annoyed I’ve got that wrong.

My recollection is clearly somewhat hazy now, but he was travelling at a rate of knots, he wasn’t going to make that corner in a million years, it’s likely he did suffer some degree of brake fade because he was pushing on, but ultimately he was the driver, he was in control and it was his actions that lead to an innocent woman being killed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

I'm not sure about that really.  It's slow moving traffic and it's really a quick blip of the throttle (and you would have dropped it a gear already).

It isn't a good piece of driving by any means. But there will have been equally if not more so dangerous pieces of driving on that road yesterday.

The fact the oncoming driver was travelling slow was the element of luck surrounding the whole thing though, I’d guesstimate 40-50mph. If he genuinely saw that car before overtaking and still took the risk, then he’s an absolute idiot, if he didn’t see the car then it’s a somewhat genuine mistake that could’ve ended badly and hopefully he’ll think twice in future.

Edit as for gear change these are short ratio, I’d say that’s comfortably 3rd to 4th.

Edited by Annoymouse

14 hours ago, Kopek said:

Here on MF everyone is entitled to anonymity until they, their selves decide other wise?

It is often said that this anonymity allows the free expression of opinion that forums are all about, it does not require the identity of the poster to be  related to any other post in the same genre.

It is also acknowledged that the anonymous post can be used as a means to spread false info.

When viewing MF one has to decide which is so.

Some posters reveal their reasons in their repetitive posts, some decide to ignore responses to their posts and continue to espouse their opinion as thought never opposed in response.

It can be rather tiresome for those seeking true debate of an event unfurling without the distraction of  'Me Me Me ' responders?

Thank god, you've found the full stop key. :whistling:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The fact the oncoming driver was travelling slow was the element of luck surrounding the whole thing though, I’d guesstimate 40-50mph. If he genuinely saw that car before overtaking and still took the risk, then he’s an absolute idiot, if he didn’t see the car then it’s a somewhat genuine mistake that could’ve ended badly and hopefully he’ll think twice in future.

It seemed to me that the oncoming vehicle appeared just as our hero had swung right to overtake. I doubt he saw him until head on. then his choice was floor it or back out. Hopefully he has learned a couple of lessons in this incident.

Edited by the stinking enigma
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Watch the video. He didn't see the car as it appeared as he was overtaking. If he had seen it he would not have overtaken.

Genuine Mistake? Nahh mate, Shit and Dangerous Driving.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Didn't his team try and say that the vehicle was fitted with the wrong rear brakes from new? If so it's a strange defence  'cos most of your braking is on the front wheels.

I think it was accepted by Saab that the front brakes overheated and were, in certain circumstances, not up to the job?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Watch the video. He didn't see the car as it appeared as he was overtaking. If he had seen it he would not have overtaken.

Genuine Mistake? Nahh mate, Shit and Dangerous Driving.

Indeed. It was effectively just before a blind bend.

Feckin irresponsible idiot. Lots about unfortunately...I've witnessed several near misses like that...and I suspect most of us have over the years.