IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

With civic amenity sites closed for no real reason as they never get within 20m of anyone unless helping with heavy items which is rarely, we will get more of this stupidity 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/police-report-shocking-flytipping-at-island-beauty-spot/

It’s one of those “no shit Sherlock” moments though isn’t it? They close all the tips but keep the construction trade open and then they wonder why people have started fly tipping crap ripped out of houses. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

With civic amenity sites closed for no real reason as they never get within 20m of anyone unless helping with heavy items which is rarely, we will get more of this stupidity 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/police-report-shocking-flytipping-at-island-beauty-spot/

During the first lockdown the douglas site was set up really well, can't see why that can't be implemented again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piebaps said:

This song reminds me of Sunday afternoons at my gran’s house. This, the Old Rugged cross and anything by Andy Williams 😍

Edited by 2bees
It changed gran’s to grand while I wasn’t looking and I don’t have a grand house :)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CowMan said:

But it’s unlikely that they are actually making up numbers. It is more likely that there are gaps in their data gathering and delays in their signing off or verifying official statistics fir public release. He seems to have told Tynwald that 108 was the likely outcome and he told the public that 56 was the verified outcome and that likely that number would change as the day closed out. Finally after 8pm they reported 110 as the final verified number. 

I don`t think that they are making up figures.

But  the way these figures have been released does leave HQ and DA wide open to suggestions that someone is, rightly or wrongly, monkeying about with the figures which is all so unnecessary. Obfuscation rules.

• Like 2

Just now, thommo2010 said:

During the first lockdown the douglas site was set up really well, can't see why that can't be implemented again.

It seems to be part of Quayle’s “hard lockdown” which only seems to be a hard lockdown for government as everyone else is just cracking on. I was actually stuck in a traffic queue in Ballasalla the other day. It seems to be only the police and everyone else in government who have decided to isolate themselves. There’s no reason why the tip can’t be open at all. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 2bees said:

This song reminds me of Sunday afternoons at my grand house. This, the Old Rugged cross and anything by Andy Williams 😍

The Old Rugged Cross - a Chris Price favourite. 

(Apologies to all the serious coviders for disrupting the thread)

• Haha 2

I have Tynwald on in the background, but was only half listening. I am thought I heard Howie saying some border restrictions will likely be in place until August/September as part of the gradual easing into normality. Anyone out there who was paying more attention than me, and noted the detail of what he said?

1 hour ago, Pipsqueak said:

the best thing about this is that there is not a deaths number which is a win for me.

It would be a good thing if it stays that way too. As we move forward, serious illness and death are going to become the primary metric used in making decisions around societal interventions. Case numbers will cease to matter as much if those who are vulnerable are protected through vaccination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I have Tynwald on in the background, but was only half listening. I am thought I heard Howie saying some border restrictions will likely be in place until August/September as part of the gradual easing into normality. Anyone out there who was paying more attention than me, and noted the detail of what he said?

I've said for some time that Gov planning is now around normality by October and has been for a few months now. Stacks up, although I wasn't listening to Tynwald.

1 hour ago, TomTucker said:

The alternative is today’s situation though? Living with covid would put us in a constant state of rigorous social distancing and with our core services at risk. 

we either continue to pursue elimination or we have to take realistic action like closing all schools until the vaccine is fully administered.

“No one is safe until everyone is safe” should be the mantra.

Disagree. We know who the most vulnerable and those supporting them are and that's being dealt with. You don't close schools when there's a flu outbreak or indeed when there's scarlet fever around.

We just need to push ahead with the 1st lot of vaccinations and quickly.

3 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

What would be interesting to know is why they don't say what the daily non isolation (formally called community) cases are and the rolling tally of same.  That gives the true reflection of what is still circulating in the community.  They have gone quiet on this - draw you own conclusions on this.  Credibility is diminishing by the day.

To some extent it's because they've let things get out of control and contact tracing etc is overwhelmed.  But even admitting this and giving a number of cases where they didn't know yet would be a start.  Instead they're still trapped in the Manx Civil Servant mindset that you can do anything, providing you don't ever admit that a mistake has been made.

3 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Also noticed the open data doesn't seem to have been updated since 5th March.

As noted on here last Friday, someone screwed up the age, gender etc spreadsheet badly and just left it like that.  It shouldn't be difficult to fix and the age breakdown is information that's important and should be directing policy.  It's just so unprofessional (I don't think I could leave something as public as that in such a mess and they must have backups (if not dozens of people will because it down loads automatically).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CowMan said:

It seems to be part of Quayle’s “hard lockdown” which only seems to be a hard lockdown for government as everyone else is just cracking on. I was actually stuck in a traffic queue in Ballasalla the other day. It seems to be only the police and everyone else in government who have decided to isolate themselves. There’s no reason why the tip can’t be open at all. 

The correction notices allow for all amenity sites to be open. The local authorities have chosen to close them not Quayle this time.

Just now, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The correction notices allow for all amenity sites to be open. The local authorities have chosen to close them not Quayle this time.

It is ridiculous though allowing parts of the construction industry to still work but to not allow anyone to dump any rubbish in a tip. So you can go into an empty house to fit a new kitchen but then you’re supposed to drive around with a load of ripped out kitchen crap in the back of your van for 6 weeks until the tip opens again? As I said it only seems to be government doing nothing. Everyone else is cracking on.