IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just heard numpty Bill of Beach Buddies whining on the radio about Amenity Centre being closed. FFS does he not get about "Non-essential journeys" and "Stay at Home"?

Or could it just be a self-promoting expert getting exposure so we don't forget he is an important person as usual? At the risk of hypocrisy reminds me of the phrase "Likes the sound of his own voice" 

(OK rant over)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

It is very poor they can not provide a proper breakdown in relation to the daily - and thereby rolling - figures.  This really should not be too difficult to highlight - positives already in isolation, not initially in isolation (community as was) and travellers.  

I wonder when Howie will feel it prudent to have another press conference, Friday my guess, then radio silence till Monday.  Incredibly strange that in the midst of the IOM most serious outbreak he reins in his public pressers (no doubt waiting for some positive news to champion)  Several issues need addressing, reporting figures as detailed above, school hub reopening, extension of lockdown etc.  

Gone into his bunker to rant at his generals because he doesn't like the data and statishtix? CS desperately trying to massage the figures and his ego before letting him out of the bunker. Might just be Ashie & Henny on Friday if they can't get enough spin on the numbers in time.

12 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Gone into his bunker to rant at his generals because he doesn't like the data and statishtix? CS desperately trying to massage the figures and his ego before letting him out of the bunker. Might just be Ashie & Henny on Friday if they can't get enough spin on the numbers in time.

The 56, spin on the numbers is exactly why he is in a bunker imo. You are correct.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

And now we have the first restaurant suspending takeaways after a member of staff tests positive.

Takeaway/delivery food is all good though apparently.

Much safer that the same person has potentially mixed with hundreds of people over the few days before they deliver food to your door than a person who hasn't seen anyone for a week contactlessly delivers something you purchased on facebook.

Walked past a small takeway concern one evening last week and saw up to 8 staff well within 2m of each other and only half wearing masks. Sort of assumed they all must live together.

As with SPCo debacle, if you are going to make rules to mitigate spread is anyone in Government checking even randomly for compliance? Noticable absence of arrests this time round too.

We are now a week in and Hetties forecast was for us to see the peak about now. Lets hope so. 🤞 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Noticable absence of arrests this time round too.

That is because 1. the Chief Constable is in a huff and 2. They are now going to have legal representatives bring up the SPC issue in court to justify why people shouldn’t have been arrested and/or jailed. The moral authority to arrest or jail has firmly walked out the door. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Noticable absence of arrests this time round too.

3 minutes ago, CowMan said:

That is because 1. the Chief Constable is in a huff and 2. They are now going to have legal representatives bring up the SPC issue in court to justify why people shouldn’t have been arrested and/or jailed. The moral authority to arrest or jail has firmly walked out the door. 

Was speaking with duty custody inspector yesterday. Very busy in custody. Don’t forget there are no physical courts. It’s all video or phone remote. No reporters. And courts were fully closed for deep clean for two days.

Don't be too sure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Was speaking with duty custody inspector yesterday. Very busy in custody. Don’t forget there are no physical courts. It’s all video or phone remote. No reporters. And courts were fully closed for deep clean for two days.

Don't be too sure

Just not being reported this time then as government can’t possibly justify its stance on jailing private citizens when the source of this whole outbreak when direction orders haven’t been followed has been completely brushed under the carpet?

The CC is clearly is a massive huff though. 

Edited by CowMan
Added para

3 minutes ago, CowMan said:

Just not being reported this time then as government can’t possibly justify its stance on jailing private citizens when the source of this whole outbreak has been completely brushed under the carpet?

The CC is clearly is a massive huff though. 

The only way it’d get reported in near real time would be if the force was updating its media pages. With 50 isolating that may not be happening. They don’t actually attend court. Although they have to know result to either release or transfer to Jurby.

Simple, correct, explanations are always more likely to be true than conspiracy theory ones.

If IoMG told Richard Butt to not carry reports it’d be headline news, and not just on IOM.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Simple, correct, explanations are always more likely to be true than conspiracy theory ones.

I’ve not said it’s any great conspiracy but self evidently there has not been one report of an arrest so far and we’ve been in lockdown for over a week and in Lockdown 1 the arrest reports were coming in thick and fast from the start. So something has clearly changed. If it’s not actual arrests (as you seem to be confirming from knowledge of the custody wing) then it’s the reporting of them that seems to have either been changed or delayed. Like the poster above a lot of people seem to be remarking that there have been no arrests like last time so that seems to be the general perception which you’ve confirmed is actually not true. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I’ve not said it’s any great conspiracy but self evidently there has not been one report of an arrest so far and we’ve been in lockdown for over a week and in Lockdown 1 the arrest reports were coming in thick and fast from the start. So something has clearly changed. If it’s not actual arrests (as you seem to be confirming from knowledge of the custody wing) then it’s the reporting of them that seems to have either been changed or delayed. Like the poster above a lot of people seem to be remarking that there have been no arrests like last time so that seems to be the general perception which you’ve confirmed is actually not true. 

I suspect it is because we are moving from an eradication to a mitigation strategy. That, and not pursuing the steam packet (despite that apparent tweet from Dudley Butt that govt were made aware SP were breaching rules here and in the UK in January). This makes enforcing the law very wooly IMO...and pretty much guarantees an appeal for any person charged this time. I can see the AG's office being very cautious as a result.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CowMan said:

No, you linked the non reporting to the government. I’ve explained why your link doesn’t hold water.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect it is because we are moving from an eradication to a mitigation strategy. That, and not pursuing the steam packet (despite that apparent tweet from Dudley Butt that govt were made aware SP were breaching rules here and in the UK in January). This makes enforcing the law very wooly IMO...and pretty much guarantees an appeal for any person charged this time. I can see the AG's office being very cautious as a result.

I also spoke, last week,  with a couple of advocates, I bumped into in Court on the Monday, who have represented defendants sentenced to custody for breaches in lock downs 1 and 2. The practical reasoning for not appealing seems to be that there wouldn’t be an appeal hearing within the period of the sentence.

16 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Whatever the reasons the current non reporting is odd given last time almost every time someone was chucked in prison it was reported. This time around that clearly hasn’t been the case so far given that John Wright has confirmed that many arrests and court appearances have actually happened. It’s odd that such events were deemed highly newsworthy last time round but not newsworthy this time - for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I think you are getting a bit confused.

The main difference to lockdown one is that news of people breaching covid rules and being sent to prison was being reported quickly.  The Police were active on that front.

It doesn't mean it isn't happening.   Just because Karen on Facebook has her knickers in a twist over it doesn't make it so.

• Like 2