IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect it is because we are moving from an eradication to a mitigation strategy. 

And what has prompted that is the errors and tardiness that led to our huge number of cases.

It's out of control.

Howie and Ashie are in the bunker and the mightily shitty stick has been handed to a performing civil servant, and his pal James to play the role of interviewer.

13 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

To the commercial waste disposal places where people who are being paid to work on a house, do gardening or any business take their waste and which are still open.

No one being paid for a service should be using the ameniety sites anyway.

If these places weren't open as normal then no builder, gardener, shop etc would be open.

The ameniety site are for the general public, no people being paid.

It makes it even crazier if commercial waste sites are open for business but Civic Amenity sites have to close. It is just involving an extra layer of human interaction into the process. The virus really doesn't care whether someone has paid for a service.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

And what has prompted that is the errors and tardiness that led to our huge number of cases.

It's out of control.

Howie and Ashie are in the bunker and the mightily shitty stick has been handed to a performing civil servant, and his pal James to play the role of interviewer.

There was always going to be a move away from (the unintended) elimination stratagey.

They have been stating this for months to prepare the hard of thinking for the inevitable 

Just now, Newbie said:

It makes it even crazier if commercial waste sites are open for business but Civic Amenity sites have to close. It is just involving an extra layer of human interaction into the process. The virus really doesn't care whether someone has paid for a service.

One is essential one isn't.

You can't tell people essential travel only and then say its ok to go out because you have a few bits of cardboard you don't like keeping in your house for a few weeks.

I get I am in the minority but a half arsed lockdown does my head in.  Either take things seriously and close down (takeaways, bloody beach clearing etc) or don't and let people earn a living.

Being stuck at home unable to earn (or get any government assistance) while people on full pay post pictures of themselves travelling the length and breadth of the island to go for essential walks is pretty galling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

There was always going to be a move away from (the unintended) elimination stratagey.

They have been stating this for months to prepare the hard of thinking for the inevitable 

You are perfectly right of course. But what has prompted this swift action of giving the shitty stick to Mr Lewin.

You'll be telling me next that Howie, Ashie and Hettie planned the current outbreak.

Edited by Barlow

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

You are perfectly right of course. But what has prompted the current action.

You'll be telling me next that Howie, Ashie and Hettie planned the current outbreak.

No they didn't.  That is just down to incompetence, but a plan away from elimination this spring in line with vaccines has obviously always been intended no matter how much thousands of people seem to want to live in an unsustainable bubble.

I honestly never realised there were so many who lived here who would be happy to be cut off from the rest of the world until this all kicked off.

I personally can't get my head round how many people never seem to leave the rock.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

The trick that was missed was to be as ready as we could be for the shift from elimination. 

The original plan must’ve been to coast on local elimination until we slowly started opening the borders, allowing a handful of cases to trickle through.

Instead, we were caught with an outbreak too early that got big, but we should’ve been ready to act decisively on that. Unfortunately it seems we just hoped it’d blow over until it was too late. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

One is essential one isn't.

You can't tell people essential travel only and then say its ok to go out because you have a few bits of cardboard you don't like keeping in your house for a few weeks.

I get I am in the minority but a half arsed lockdown does my head in.  Either take things seriously and close down (takeaways, bloody beach clearing etc) or don't and let people earn a living.

Being stuck at home unable to earn (or get any government assistance) while people on full pay post pictures of themselves travelling the length and breadth of the island to go for essential walks is pretty galling.

I understand where you are coming from, but if you force people to stay at home for 6 weeks (as seems likely), they will generate a lot of garden waste, household waste etc. What else is there for them to do! To say it is acceptable for them to pay someone to take it away, but not acceptable for them to take it to a Civic Amenity site seems illogical.

Surely it is exactly these sort of steps that we need to take to move towards mitigation rather than elimination. I wouldn't view that as a half arsed lockdown, more as progress.

• Like 2

The reason I asked about hospital admissions & the age of those admitted (a couple of pages back) is two fold.

We are likely to reach over 1,000 active cases by the early part of next week (open to some debate) & it would be very useful to determine the ages of those who have been admitted to Nobles associated to Covid symptoms.

I would love to see our hospital admissions figures broken down further in the daily briefing numbers. Primarily the ages or age bands of those admitted & whether they were admitted as a result of Covid symptoms or just through pre-procedure screening but asymptomatic.

It is my understanding that we have or are close to vaccinating all +75 & highly vulnerable groups.

The hospital admissions & data attached to them would greatly assist in future decision making (border policy) & could reassure people that all those that have been admitted are not all hooked up to ventilators with wires & tubes hanging out of them (which I believe many of the fearful visualise).

I’d like to see our journalists actively pursue this type of questioning.

There are very intelligent people on this Island who can shape opinion based on being fed proper data.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If they can be bothered

And what about members of the public? Can they attend virtually?

ETA: "In accordance with the principle of open justice.."

Edited by Barlow