IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

Take it where?

Tels has to be one of the favourites but any of the skip hire places take ‘rubbish’ , you also have the licensed contractors who also take it straight to the incinerator themselves. Although normally in a lockdown the incinerator will also shut down, as not enough waste material being brought in, so it’s effectively stock piled.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Tels has to be one of the favourites but any of the skip hire places take ‘rubbish’ , you also have the licensed contractors who also take it straight to the incinerator themselves. Although normally in a lockdown the incinerator will also shut down, as not enough waste material being brought in, so it’s effectively stock piled.

Exactly.

Any proper business that is being paid for its services shouldn't be anywhere near the Amenity sites and should be paying fortunes to dispose of every bit of waste like those of us running legitimate businesses do.

Unfortunately loads just take stuff to the public tip despite charging the customers and so those of us who are no getting no help from government at all end up subsiding the sly ones again.  That's a whole new thread.

The general public mainly have no idea of the costs involved in operating a business above board.  

Clue.  There is no way a lot of the "man and van" etc services advertising to remove stuff for £30 no invoice, no paper trail etc are doing so legally. Yet they are probably the ones getting government handouts whilst still operating on the sly while genuine businesses are going to the wall.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

But they are bothered because there's loads of non-COVID cases cited in the newspapers (presumably from either physical sittings or virtually), more than usual I would say but nothing, as has been said, about COVID breaches. I can't believe that there have been no breaches and subsequent charges whatsoever this time around.

There were only 3 cases reported in today’s Courier. One was breach of regulations. However the story begs the question of how he ended up in Jurby. I suspect the appearance was from Police HQ custody block.

880B5D9B-15F3-42F2-955C-E1F258F132C2.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

The general public mainly have no idea of the costs involved in operating a business above board.  

Clue.  There is no way a lot of the "man and van" etc services advertising to remove stuff for £30 no invoice, no paper trail etc are doing so legally. Yet they are probably the ones getting government handouts whilst still operating on the sly while genuine businesses are going to the wall.

I wouldn’t say it’s actually that expensive to get rid of stuff properly but if you can dump it for free why would you pay?, it’s hardly an incentive. I think we all know trades operating out of a non sign written van in order to slip under the radar, the amenity sites aren’t stupid either, they’ll see who the regulars are.

As for man + van types it’s a similar situation, particularly those who offer house clearances, they’ll take all the good stuff to either resell or scrap and whatever crap is left just gets tipped.

Edited by Annoymouse
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Exactly.

Any proper business that is being paid for its services shouldn't be anywhere near the Amenity sites and should be paying fortunes to dispose of every bit of waste like those of us running legitimate businesses do.

Unfortunately loads just take stuff to the public tip despite charging the customers and so those of us who are no getting no help from government at all end up subsiding the sly ones again.  That's a whole new thread.

I agree absolutely on the Commercial/Domestic aspect of waste disposal, but as you say that is a whole other matter.

But from a Covid aspect, what is the difference between a man and van being paid to take someone's rubbish to Tels, and the homeowner taking their own rubbish to a Civic Amenity site, other than the fact that paying someone gives rise to the possibility of more human interactions. To say nothing of the fact that we are already paying for the Civic Amenity sites, so to expect people to pay again seems unreasonable

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

I would love to see our hospital admissions figures broken down further in the daily briefing numbers. Primarily the ages or age bands of those admitted & whether they were admitted as a result of Covid symptoms or just through pre-procedure screening but asymptomatic.

I too would love to see an age breakdown of the hospital numbers.

However, I can't see any asymptomatic case being kept in unless they were very seriously ill with something unrelated to covid. Anyone else would surely be sent home as soon as their positive result was known and not be counted amongst the hospitalised covid cases.

I therefore believe that most, if not all, are people who are actually ill with covid. This is not to say I think they're all in ICU. The last time they deigned to inform us, there was only one. (8 March, 8 total, 1 ICU.)

We need to remember that therapy for serious covid has drastically changed over the past year. There are many things they can try - with excellent results - before the last resort of being put in ICU on a vent. 

Edited by Zarley
Fecking autoincorrect

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It will never not be completely mental that you can be jailed for the crime of being outside.

The basic rule is stay at home, isolate and don’t mix households. I’m not commenting on any present case.

Most cases weren’t for being in the great outdoors.

The majority of cases in lockdowns 1 & 2 were not being caught in the open, but going to other people’s houses/flats, drinking, small parties, cops called, not going home when warned and asked. Or car full of teens or twenties from 3 or 4 households.

They'd all been given the opportunity to not be arrested, charged and taken to court.

3 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Probably jailed for gross stupidity. He could have simply said he was out exercising

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1