IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, CowMan said:

For all its disastrous covid planning the UK vaccine rollout there seems to have been really well managed. Probably because it’s just about the only health matter that an absolute clown like Matt Hancock isn’t directly responsible for. We seem to be catching up a bit but they seem to be literally ripping through it. 

You said you can't see the over 60s being done here by the end of May?

That is horseshit and you know it.

It's as much horseshit as Guernsey being "miles ahead" on vaccinations. 

Edited by TerryFuchwit
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I have a mate who is 47 with no underlying issues whose getting his in the UK Wednesday. 

Seems quite variable in different areas, as I have a few mates in the UK around the age of 60 who have yet to have it, or even get a letter

18 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

I see they've started blaming us now, for the length of the lockdown

So, the dithering that went on before the 3'rd lockdown is incensequential?

The people turning on each other is crazy.

I'm seeing people complain that cyclists rode by them without a mask.

That someone dared go against the one way system in a co op

That someone stood 1.95 metres away in a queue instead of 2 metres.

This really has brought out the worst in people

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It's much horseshit as Guernsey being "miles ahead" on vaccinations. 

I haven’t said Guernsey is miles ahead on anything as I simply don’t know how other islands are doing. We are sending out the letters to the over 60s next week and the letters only go out in batches. I really can’t see that they'll be done by the end of May when it’s taken us 2 months to get to this stage with full vaccinations. The UK really seems to have got it’s act together which makes the IOM opening the borders argument for September nonsense. Most of the over 50s in the UK will be done well before then so the risks will probably start to drop around July if we start ramping up vaccinations here too. 

Edited by CowMan
Typo well

1 minute ago, CowMan said:

I haven’t said Guernsey is miles ahead on anything as I simply don’t know how other islands are doing. We are sending out the letters to the over 60s next week and the letters only go out in batches. I really can’t see that they'll be done by the end of May when it’s taken us 2 months to get to this stage with full vaccinations. The UK really seems to have got it’s act together which makes the IOM opening the borders argument for September nonsense. Most of the over 50s in the UK will be fine we’ll before then so the risks will probably start to drop around July if we start ramping up vaccinations here too. 

You're speaking rubbish.

The end of May is 11 weeks away.  We sre running at about 5000 jabs a week.

In what world are over 60s not done by the end of May? 

You are simply making no sense and this sort of crap needs to be pulled up.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

You are simply making no sense and this sort of crap needs to be pulled up.

Your crystal ball is about as accurate as mine. There’s still a fair few over 70s not been done here after 2 months. You only have to look back in this thread to see all the moaning about delays. I’m guessing most of this forum is in the over 60 category so we’ll see as the moaning about invite letters progresses how accurate the end of May is. 

Edited by CowMan
Only
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The people turning on each other is crazy.

I'm seeing people complain that cyclists rode by them without a mask.

That someone dared go against the one way system in a co op

That someone stood 1.95 metres away in a queue instead of 2 metres.

This really has brought out the worst in people

Of Mice and Men

2 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Guernsey have first dose vaccinated 30% of everyone over 16.

We are literally miles off the pace, how has this happened?

28% (Isle of Man) and 30% (Guernsey) isn't a great difference. I wonder if the people of Guernsey are complaining that they are 'literally miles off the pace' as they have only fully vaccinated 11% of their over 16 population whilst the Isle of Man has done 15%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I have a mate who is 47 with no underlying issues whose getting his in the UK Wednesday. 

Similarly, a work colleague, just 42, in Crawley area is getting hers today. No underlying health issues, zero. Fit and healthy young woman. It turns out her GP practice has a much higher proportion of younger people attached to it which might, as she suggests is because of the two housing estates where she lives are approximately only 10 & 7 years old and full of young families.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CowMan said:

Your crystal ball is about as accurate as mine. There’s still a fair few over 70s not been done here after 2 months. You only have to look back in this thread to see all the moaning about delays. I’m guessing most of this forum is in the over 60 category so we’ll see as the moaning about invite letters progresses how accurate the end of May is. 

Your numbers make no sense at all.

Explain how, at the current run rate, the over 60s won't be done by the end of May?

My view is they should not have rushed to issue this 'waffle', this so called 'exit strategy'.    

Last year the Island was hailed as one of the few well governed 'Covid-free' countries in the world. What few people seemed to appreciate is that, at that time, we were spared from the virus becasue in one crucial way, we were lucky. The 'success' in managing the pandemic was down to the borders strategy working, keeping the virus out.

Becasue we had been successful at eliminating the first 'outbreak', nobody seemed to appreciate that, other than keeping the borders largely shut, our government/ our medical authorities had only a minimal action plan if the virus got through. Our luck has now run out and the virus is well imbedded here, on a par with some other European countries where the positive cases are high. Albeit that we are ahead of Europeans with the vaccination roll-out, hundreds of our residents are infected, thousands of our residents are in self isolation and the rest of us are in a pretty harsh lockdown. This is where we would have been previously if the borders had not 'held'.

It is sad to observe our politicians scrambling to placate the public with platitudes like 'be reasonable', 'no witch-hunt', 'no time to allocate blame', but equally sad is their 'exit strategy' document, which makes nothing clear at all, except that the IOM government will keep changing the rules every time circumstances change. It seems to me that, becasue the UK and the CIs produced their exit strategies, our government felt pressured to produce one of it's own. The big difference is that at present the UK and CIs are seemingly getting control of their situation, whilst we are not. 

Because we have no idea when and how the current lockdown is going to evolve, let alone end, my opinion is that they were better off not to release any 'guidance' about the future until there was much more certainty about this outbreak. Instead, they released a document that mostly widely attracted criticism (including from the MHKs), as well as occasional derision and mockery from the general public.

In a couple of weeks time or so, when things are clearer, they must issue a more specific exit plan document, something that includes a timetable and is backed-up with facts. Let's hope they do a better job next time.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Similarly, a work colleague, just 42, in Crawley area is getting hers today. No underlying health issues, zero. Fit and healthy young woman. It turns out her GP practice has a much higher proportion of younger people attached to it which might, as she suggests is because of the two housing estates where she lives are approximately only 10 & 7 years old and full of young families.

These sort of things are happening as you say it’s probably down to demographics at the GP level. Amazed at those who jump in like you’re being critical for pointing these situations out. But the fact is the UK is ripping through it all at great speed so we need to be better planning for freer borders well before September as most of the UK will be done earlier and if the IOM steps up most of the IOM will be too. There’s a summer season to be had there from June to July which Jersey certainly seems to be planning for to open up and receive guests in what is likely to be the biggest UK tourism boom we’ve seen since WW2. As UK vaccination increases then the closed border argument basically goes away.