IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

All the evidence so far suggests that the vaccine will be about as good as it gets. I would expect that COVID will be ticking over and bubbling up from time to time. But I don’t think global elimination is viable. 

I do wonder how many people will refuse the vaccine though, and what impact that will have.

Even with a first dose, the vaccine massively reduces your chances of getting seriously ill, and thus your risk of death too. Asymptomatic infection also decreases, thus transmission that way  

The Scottish data suggests hospitalisation is reduced by anything up to 94% with the vaccine after both doses  

I agree re: children, but there will be approval for a vaccine for them at some point, for obvious reasons, it takes longer. 

Re: mutations, they’ll probably come back from countries where the virus can still readily circulate and there’s a selective pressure to be more resistant to antibodies, like with the South African strains. 

http://www.gponline.com/know-effectiveness-covid-19-vaccines/article/1708986

Yes. Good points. Vaccination will significantly reduce the spread but, yes, it will not stop it. We have to live with that.

The spread of an infection follows that of a chemical reaction (mathematically). If you reduce the concentration of reactant ( infected) you reduce the rate of the reaction (infection rate) but you dont stop it unless you remove all the reactant or they are used up.

• Like 1

I have grave doubts about giving the vaccine to under 5's or pre-school children. Even some newborn are reported to have the antibodies at birth so the herd immunity issue has already kicked in. As hard as it might be the sooner the younger ones are subject to the virus naturally the sooner they will develop antibodies.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I have grave doubts about giving the vaccine to under 5's or pre-school children. Even some newborn are reported to have the antibodies at birth so the herd immunity issue has already kicked in. As hard as it might be the sooner the younger ones are subject to the virus naturally the sooner they will develop antibodies.

https://www.ft.com/content/51cf718d-e701-4292-a9dd-dd36c1b1c5ea

Brazil virus variant found to evade natural immunity

The P.1 Covid-19 variant that was identified in Brazil is about twice as transmissible as some other virus strains and is more likely to evade the natural immunity usually conferred by prior infection, according to an international study. The research, conducted by a UK-Brazilian team of researchers from institutions including Oxford university, Imperial College London the University of São Paulo, found that the P.1 variant was between 1.4 and 2.2 times more transmissible than other variants circulating in Brazil.  It was also “able to evade 25-61 per cent of protective immunity elicited by previous infection” with another variant, the researchers found, a sign that current vaccines could also be less effective against it.

Edited by pongo
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

I did say that in debate I used Mr Hoopers favourite saying to me “it’s a nothing motion with no date” etc  what was said yesterday was all said in January when Kent variant first known/arrived and they chose to ignore it then....... 

Thanks Julie.  So, will it happen? 

57 minutes ago, manxst said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tynwald-agrees-genomic-testing-is-vital-in-fight-against-covid-19/

if only MHKs had the bottle to stand up and say this sort of thing some months ago, when the vast majority of the public were saying it...

They did but the Council of Ministers weren't listening.  They have treated the other Members of Tynwald with the same arrogance and disdain they have treated the public and the press with. 

When it is available go to the tynwald listen again service and listen to Lawrie Hooper's summing up of this motion. He took the Government to bits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They did but the Council of Ministers weren't listening.  They have treated the other Members of Tynwald with the same arrogance and disdain they have treated the public and the press with. 

When it is available go to the tynwald listen again service and listen to Lawrie Hooper's summing up of this motion. He took the Government to bits.

Well Comin totally ignored the Will of Tynwald when it wanted testing on arrival & at day 13 introduced and only brought it in after the New year bars fiasco 

38 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Newborns born with antibodies, says Israeli study...

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-study-babies-born-to-vaccinated-moms-have-covid-fighting-antibodies/

13 minutes ago, pongo said:

https://www.ft.com/content/51cf718d-e701-4292-a9dd-dd36c1b1c5ea

Brazil virus variant found to evade natural immunity

New variants will crop up regularly, with the more transmissible ones gaining a foothold within the global community. Vaccines will provide protection against these to a lesser or greater degree, but will likely provide some protection. It is worth considering that viruses do not seek to actively harm their host, so it would be fair to assume that more transmissible but less lethal strains will be the way it develops. Going back to your Brazilian Variant headline and the reality that variants will pop up with regularity, the question is, at what point do we lessen the restrictions on society to the point of near normality? Do we carry on as we are, locking down every few months waiting for the next booster vaccine? This cycle would likely go on for years. Do you want to exist in a world like this? I know I would like to live without the threat of perpetual restrictions and to take my considered (and vaccinated) chances. It all depends on risk appetite, but ultimately governments will make the decision for us.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well Comin totally ignored the Will of Tynwald when it wanted testing on arrival & at day 13 introduced and only brought it in after the New year bars fiasco 

Let's hope this new found pre-election challenging bravo by some members applies to todays business /  debates then. 

It is easy to lead from behind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Out of the blue said:

New variants will crop up regularly, with the more transmissible ones gaining a foothold within the global community. Vaccines will provide protection against these to a lesser or greater degree, but will likely provide some protection. It is worth considering that viruses do not seek to actively harm their host, so it would be fair to assume that more transmissible but less lethal strains will be the way it develops. Going back to your Brazilian Variant headline and the reality that variants will pop up with regularity, the question is, at what point do we lessen the restrictions on society to the point of near normality? Do we carry on as we are, locking down every few months waiting for the next booster vaccine? This cycle would likely go on for years. Do you want to exist in a world like this? I know I would like to live without the threat of perpetual restrictions and to take my considered (and vaccinated) chances. It all depends on risk appetite, but ultimately governments will make the decision for us.

Yes we need to crack on with vaccinations & get on with life, there’s always going to be a virus popping up. Some would keep us locked down forever & ruin people’s livelihoods & the economy for some reason 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Some would keep us locked down forever & ruin people’s livelihoods & the economy for some reason 

And what reason might that be? Who are these individuals who would keep us locked down forever?

More false dilemmas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Yes we need to crack on with vaccinations & get on with life, there’s always going to be a virus popping up. Some would keep us locked down forever & ruin people’s livelihoods & the economy for some reason 

Banker

Only selfish people want to travel Off island.  We don't need to travel for the island businesses to develop.  That's all a waste of time.   Plus there's a shitload of other patronising crap i could say but I'm too busy counting the money someone else generated then paid me.

All the best

Pongo

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Banker said:

I don't think that's true. Can you link me to the Hansard please Banker. My recollection is that the motion was for them to investigate the introduction of testing, not to actually introduce it. A shit motion got a shit outcome. (lol @ shit motion)