IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

I would also add that unreasonable withholding of information and manipulation of publicity could be a symptom of a lack of confidence in the decisions being made. Guernsey does seem to be much more open and mature in their interactions with the  public.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I know, just reiterating. People are falling into two camps - childish trusting reliance on being looked after by government  or teenage rebellious questioning of authority and seeking explanation and accountability. 

Quite happy to be aligned with a teenager after all these years! 

I know you know ;0)

There is a happy medium to be found if they furnished us with data. We can all form our own opinions then based on facts.

They don't want too. Why sensible, normally intelligent people, can't see that is beyond me. Happy to have their bellies tickled by CoMin and question nothing! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Has this little contract been advertised to the ‘great Manx public? Expression of Interest? 

Manx Democracy? Where?

Manx Chumocracy it could be argued. Only in the Isle of Man ........... where you can, coz you can!

Government Preferred Developers, Government Preferred Supliers, Government Preferred Communications Agency....... etc. The Great Manx Public aren’t gaining anything except higher taxes for Government largesse and overall talking bollocks, quite frankly insulting our intelligence. 

Ever get the feeling you feel cheated?

I remember lots of occasions when certain MHKs huffed and puffed about the need for 'transparency in government'.  As soon as said MHKs were given ministerial portfolios they suddenly became very silent about these types of issues. It seems there are things one says as an outsider, but as soon as you are 'inside the proverbial tent of power' all of that talk about transparency no longer applies.

I my opinion, unless there is (radical) transparency, there will always be suspicion; especially when it comes to Manx government contracts, where a reputation for 'Chumocracy' has been around for many years

As the election gets closer this year we will hear much more of these sorts of things, even from MHKs who have had ample years to put things right.

Personally I think it is time to give a try to a new regime - i.e. let's ditch the 'collective responsibility' regime that suppresses criticism of and accountability for government mistakes, and instead make individual MHK's accountable for the promises in their manifestos. In time of crisis like the current global pandemic maybe a government of 'national unity' (like what they had in the UK during WW2) is warranted, but under the normal circumstances, on the Island with a tiny population like ours, our elected representatives should be mandated to pursue what they promised to their constituents, and not be pressured to become 'unquestioning subservients' by the likes of the CoMin. 

• Like 5

Just had the second jab at Ronaldsway, slick, quick efficient, with the minimum of delay.

What I am amazed at is the centres cost three hundred and seventy three thousand pounds to build and this is an estimate.

Ronaldsway alterations could have been temporary certainly not cost the tax payer this huge sum

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Confirmation of the prison infections as someone posted last night, don’t worry Cregeen is on the case😂

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/two-prison-officers-test-positive-for-covid-19/

This bit is tosh. Nobody has been regularly cleaning contact surfaces in the prison for some time.

I am content that the advanced control measures and infection prevention regime put in place will reduce the risk to officers and prisoners. 

Guernsey is Good. 

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/03/18/plans-afoot-for-local-variant-testing-facility/

"Director of Public Health Dr Nicola Brink confirmed that a document is being prepared to develop on-island genome sequencing........Quick and informed decisions should avoid extreme safety restrictions and the resulting economic impacts, so the facility is expected to be cost-effective."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Gladys, they won't reveal the numbers because the 'fear factor' has to be sustained

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Well, I think this is a major factor, 

Daft conspiracy nonsense. Self evidently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Whatnonsence said:

What I am amazed at is the centres cost three hundred and seventy three thousand pounds to build and this is an estimate.

Given the length of time you are in these hubs, how can they even pretend to justify value for money. Curtains and poles would afford exactly the same amount of privacy at a fraction of the cost

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Given the length of time you are in these hubs, how can they even pretend to justify value for money. Curtains and poles would afford exactly the same amount of privacy at a fraction of the cost

There is little privacy either Peter. I could see and be seen whilst having my jab. Also met up with people going in and leaving the hub on the way to the car park.

I do not have a problem with privacy during this exercise it’s a pandemic after all.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Peter Layman said:

Ah...but you can’t fix skirting boards to curtains though! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

You would be moaning no matter what , to  be fair.

Which cutting edge journalist would you expect to be asking the questions?

Obviously, one who is independent of the IOM Government which is being questioned! 

I do appreciate the irony of the very great appropriateness of your self-selected screen-name. And many others also do so.

• Like 1