IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Apple said:

Or maybe now the Govt has thrown it's hands in the air and left so many loopholes and mixed messages they are really now going for herd immunity, just without declaring it yet. 

I think a lot of us knew something like this would happen and enforcement would be very contentious, whether by the letter of the law or by any other matrix.

The pressure should be on to get the vaccines in people's arms much quicker and before more civil disobedience turns into more serious breaches. I really don't understand why DHSC are not getting people into both of the big hubs 7 days a week, 08:00 thru 20:00. Deep cleaning can be done in between those times. Yes, we know it's a long day but for sure the professionals will be getting paid for it, it's their job it's what they do. I'm not convinced, from what I'm hearing, that DHSC are making full use of volunteers (retired professionals) either. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yes. It’s also the size of numbers and the trouble it would cause arresting twenty wet people and taking them to jail. They will have a lot of supporters as well as those who think they should be hanged. It’s a political minefield but I think the action they have taken, for now, was the only thing they could have done.

I’m a bit peed off, because I am one of a group of swimmers who have been going down, separately, without a fuss, for an early morning swim.  I have a feeling that after this we will no longer be able to do it and I’m a bit sad about that. It’s not organised, it just happens and no one has cared much about it. From now on they will probably care more. 

Covid and the restrictions that have been imposed, were always going to polarise society and tend to exaggerate many peoples inner libertarian, or authoritarian tendencies. Personally I do not have any major issue if people want to swim in such a manner, however if people object and report it to the authorities, the police are obliged to deal with the matter. The officers that I know are not unreasonable, and I feel genuine sympathy with their predicament. Blanket, restrictions that take away peoples basic civil liberties are always going to be problematic and create push back with regards to interpretation and exploration of the limits, and although I can understand and tolerate the current restrictions, I am glad that people still do question things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m a bit peed off, because I am one of a group of swimmers who have been going down, separately, without a fuss, for an early morning swim.  I have a feeling that after this we will no longer be able to do it and I’m a bit sad about that. It’s not organised, it just happens and no one has cared much about it. From now on they will probably care more. 

I personally think solo sea swimming is a bit risky, worst case scenario being if you were to get into any difficulties or god forbid go ‘missing’ it would be a multi search operation. That said you’re far better to do it somewhere busy enough that someone is likely to notice, rather than somewhere more secluded.

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

I personally think solo sea swimming is a bit risky, worst case scenario being if you were to get into any difficulties or god forbid go ‘missing’ it would be a multi search operation. That said you’re far better to do it somewhere busy enough that someone is likely to notice, rather than somewhere more secluded.

Yeah. It's not like they cant go to the swimming pool is it?   DOH!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

personally think solo sea swimming is a bit risky, worst case scenario being if you were to get into any difficulties or god forbid go ‘missing’ it would be a multi search operation. That said you’re far better to do it somewhere busy enough that someone is likely to notice, rather than somewhere more secluded.

Yes, that wouldn't take up too many resources would it. Ambulance, coastguard, lifeboats, hospital beds and staff etc. Whoever undertakes any activity hat can result in added pressures should be heavily fined, on the spot. Prison for a repeat offence.

Clear messaging.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I think a lot of us knew something like this would happen and enforcement would be very contentious, whether by the letter of the law or by any other matrix.

The pressure should be on to get the vaccines in people's arms much quicker and before more civil disobedience turns into more serious breaches. I really don't understand why DHSC are not getting people into both of the big hubs 7 days a week, 08:00 thru 20:00. Deep cleaning can be done in between those times. Yes, we know it's a long day but for sure the professionals will be getting paid for it, it's their job it's what they do. I'm not convinced, from what I'm hearing, that DHSC are making full use of volunteers (retired professionals) either. 

It certainly was the case, from personal experience, that not many, if any, volunteers had been contacted. Whether that is still the case I don't know.

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

eez. Get things in perspective would you. I’m not going in searching for sharks, I’m in and out. Maybe I should stop having baths too? God knows what might happen in there. 

Regulations say stay at home unless it is essential. People can't do without it for a few weeks ?

Added -some people have made bigger sacrifices, and some have had them Imposed.

Edited by Apple
depersonalise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

Regulations say stay at home unless it is essential. People can't do without it for a few weeks ?

Added -some people have made bigger sacrifices, and some have had them Imposed.

Welcome to the 21st century, I before we. The problem with common sense is that it's not so common after all. 

• Like 2

As far as I know we’ve witnessed one death on our Island since the turn of the year, that person dying within 28 days of a positive Covid test, not necessarily as a result of the virus itself. There were questions over the age & health of the deceased. 

We have recorded over 1,000 positive cases in 2021, the likelihood is that many, many more have carried the virus whether this year or 2020, many having no idea they had it.

We have the Manx public turning on the Steam Packet, the bus drivers, sea swimmers, children in parks, golfers, taxi drivers and many other groups.

When will the politicians here be questioned properly? Why are we living like this? The data (which we were constantly reminded would drive policy) clearly suggests who might be affected by this virus in terms of potential loss of life. They are vaccinated & the hospital is coping as it should. The NHS is not there to be protected, it is there to protect us. It’s working superbly.

It’s time for this madness to stop. The curtain twitches, the no mask grasses, the disgruntled company employees asking for their firms to be closed, the police being chastised. All of it needs to stop.

Nobody is dying. 

QUESTION YOUR POLITICIANS. Call them, email them, tweet them ... do whatever. The fear has destroyed common sense.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

As far as I know we’ve witnessed one death on our Island since the turn of the year, that person dying within 28 days of a positive Covid test, not necessarily as a result of the virus itself. There were questions over the age & health of the deceased. 

We have recorded over 1,000 positive cases in 2021, the likelihood is that many, many more have carried the virus whether this year or 2020, many having no idea they had it.

We have the Manx public turning on the Steam Packet, the bus drivers, sea swimmers, children in parks, golfers, taxi drivers and many other groups.

When will the politicians here be questioned properly? Why are we living like this? The data (which we were constantly reminded would drive policy) clearly suggests who might be affected by this virus in terms of potential loss of life. They are vaccinated & the hospital is coping as it should. The NHS is not there to be protected, it is there to protect us. It’s working superbly.

It’s time for this madness to stop. The curtain twitches, the no mask grasses, the disgruntled company employees asking for their firms to be closed, the police being chastised. All of it needs to stop.

Nobody is dying. 

QUESTION YOUR POLITICIANS. Call them, email them, tweet them ... do whatever. The fear has destroyed common sense.

So it's ok you think to have an inconsistent approach. Jail some, ignore others. We gloat about our no nonsense, bang em in jail approach. Zero tolerance. Then we go and do something completely different because it's not palatable. Jail the foreign welders but let the locals off?

• Confused 1