IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Bit of a stretch with the old analogy there 😜

A better one might be how would you feel if they suddenly deemed that cafes and bars were a risk to public health and so closed them down.  Or sports clubs because of the small number of participants who have heart failure when competing or training.

Or smoking ...

If the Government were ‘that arsed’ about public health or ‘protecting the NHS’ they’d ban the sale of tobacco.

A young lady walked toward me the other night on Marine Drive & quickly diverted her path & masked up to avoid me as I was without face covering. Then as she passed, pulled down the covering & sucked hard on a cancer stick.

You couldn’t make this shit up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

You are right - nobody is unworthy of protection and the State is right to offer and provide it.  But that is where it should stop.

Of course, provide the medical support, advise and where necessary protect (in the short term) those at most risk.  But decisions about risk to the individual must be made by the individual and not be dictated upon the whim of a cabal of faceless government functionaries.

With respect may I suggest the current Capacity Consultation (due to end tomorrow I think) about people's right to choose, protection procedures, best interests step, Lasting Powers of Attorney etc

It also rakes in comments regarding Mental Health and people with Learning Disabilities and could touch on the End of Life care if anyone wants to suggest it.

Everyone is worthy of the protection of the stare irregardless of their clinical condition. Not to start off with that premise risks a lot of pain and unpleasantness. 

Edited by Apple
that should of course say state but I'm not changing it
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Incredibly condescending & extremely bitter. Give yourself a virtual ‘crab’ star.

Condescend? Bitter? Oh hardly.

Even the crab epithet falls flat. I'm bringing no one down. But I know it must be difficult to hold back one's opinion when a situation is viewed from such privilege (and as I mentioned before, no doubt a well earned privilege).

We've all got an opinion on this here pandemic thing, we've all tried to make do as best we can, we have all had our experiences of the lockdowns.

Over this past year I've tried as best I can to help my family, friends and those around me. Maybe if I had the resources and inclination I would have escaped to skiing in Switzerland or joined those in-your-face vloggers in Dubai.

But maybe I wouldn't.

During a crisis I know where my home is, where I am needed and where I want to be.  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Condescend? Bitter? Oh hardly.

Even the crab epithet falls flat. I'm bringing no one down. But I know it must be difficult to hold back one's opinion when a situation is viewed from such privilege (and as I mentioned before, no doubt a well earned privilege).

We've all got an opinion on this here pandemic thing, we've all tried to make do as best we can, we have all had our experiences of the lockdowns.

Over this past year I've tried as best I can to help my family, friends and those around me. Maybe if I had the resources and inclination I would have escaped to skiing in Switzerland or joined those in-your-face vloggers in Dubai.

But maybe I wouldn't.

During a crisis I know where my home is, where I am needed and where I want to be.  

I know where I’d rather be ..... each to their own.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

It would be extremely concerning if you’re on waiting list , I know several on orthopedic lists who have been waiting years for knee/hip surgery and pains are getting worse.

We really need to get hospital back up working fully & get working in backlog, there’s 1 in hospital FFS!!

whilst i fully agree with you on this point ( who'd have thought )   the hospital waiting lists were a shit show long before covid turned up to add to the excuses,  IMHO  they deliberately make you wait so that you put your hand in your pocket to go private.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

That might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said on here about Josem.

Amusing that Wrighty defends the managers meeting and yet the thread is about the incompetence of the managers meeting.  If all essential operational directors met face to face for photo it would be a busy time in the workplaces.  
Are you up for a role in Manx Care Wrighty, old chap? 

5 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Amusing that Wrighty defends the managers meeting and yet the thread is about the incompetence of the managers meeting.  If all essential operational directors met face to face for photo it would be a busy time in the workplaces.  

i imagine he keeps checking the boat timetables.

9 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Has Wrighty (sic) posted about this. Perhaps you’re confusing me with an unrelated ortho.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Apple said:

There is no explanation or apology from me about the role of the DHSC and the hospital over what I perceive as failures and my posts have consistently reflected that I hope.

Mistakes have been made in my view. And continue to be so.

Getting the hospital back up and running must now be a priority. A respectable and experienced clinical and management needs to take over and that is what my hope is (Pandora's box). We need the right teams in there, and the wrong ones out.

The Govt has to take into account the current problems and support fully the reimplementation of matters urgent and stop trying to make political capital out of it any more.

Irrespective of lockdown urgent clinical procedures need to be taking place for whatever conditions are being presented. For resources and how they are being used, or not used, public complaints, the press and social media  along with the MHK's need to be asking the questions and getting honest answers. 

Hope is fine, and I respect your stance, of course.  I am cynical, and think that as soon as Teri Cope does something that causes any social media ripples - remember little Finley's medicine -  the arm's length principle will be ripped up and the DHSC will tell her what to do (even if that is never made public).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Hope is fine, and I respect your stance, of course.  I am cynical, and think that as soon as Teri Cope does something that causes any social media ripples - remember little Finley's medicine -  the arm's length principle will be ripped up and the DHSC will tell her what to do (even if that is never made public).

It probably won't even have to be social media - just failing to provide the right service for one of the right people may be enough.  The arm's-length principle may only have ever been intended to apply to the plebs and their representatives.

Though in an election year the latter may suddenly discover the old saying about be careful about what you wish for ...

59 minutes ago, Apple said:

Everyone is worthy of the protection of the stare irregardless of their clinical condition. Not to start off with that premise risks a lot of pain and unpleasantness. 

I'm all for protecting the stare, but it's difficult to maintain behind some spectacles.

(Just trying to get a message in on the page number that coincides with the year.)  😎 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

On the endoscopy thing I did have one last year, took about three weeks from referral to appointment so no complaints there.

I still haven’t had the appointment to discuss the results.  It is booked for June which will be 10 months after the procedure.

How on earth is that justifiable if they aren’t doing many actual procedures?  I haven’t even been given the option of a phone or video call. 

The fact they you have not even had a video call in those 10 months is appalling. You need to get a an email off to Ashford and copy your MHK pronto.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pipsqueak said:

whilst i fully agree with you on this point ( who'd have thought )   the hospital waiting lists were a shit show long before covid turned up to add to the excuses,  IMHO  they deliberately make you wait so that you put your hand in your pocket to go private.

You are right about the pre-Covid Waiting lists. With regard the private bit, whilst that might seem to be the case in some specialties, there are others with equally unacceptable waits where few, if any, of the Consultants see private patients/do private operations, so clearly there is more to it than just that.