IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

21 minutes ago, winnie said:

Absolutely. Think it's an easy to work system and make it known there's a four week spell in Jurby for those that don't comply 

FFS are you wanting more of a police state than Russia!!

Howie said this yesterday 

Simon: Australia and New Zealand have bubbled. Are we considering new air bridges with Guernsey, Malta and Gibraltar?

HQ: I’d like to see Guernsey introduced as our thinking is similar. The UK has said there will be little international travel, with fines in place. We need to respect the UK rules as we go through their territory. 

Once we get on top of the virus, I’ll work on the airbridge with Guernsey. 

So if airbridge is being established we either need to have similar borders rules and Guernsey will be allowing uk visitors from 26/04 with no isolation from various area with low rates. If we don’t have similar rules we will have to accept the great Manx public mixing with non isolating UK visitors.

We need to get a move on not introducing more draconian police state rules!!!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Simon: Australia and New Zealand have bubbled. Are we considering new air bridges with Guernsey, Malta and Gibraltar?

HQ: I’d like to see Guernsey introduced as our thinking is similar. The UK has said there will be little international travel, with fines in place. We need to respect the UK rules as we go through their territory. 

So if airbridge is being established we either need to have similar borders rules and Guernsey will be allowing uk visitors from 26/04 with no isolation from various area with low rates. If we don’t have similar rules we will have to accept the great Manx public mixing with non isolating UK visitors.

If there's no deterrent, the system will be abused. What do Guernsey do when people refuse to isolate?

13 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I predict confusion, frustration and exasperation over the coming months with many people wondering what the hell we are doing being stuck on this island, rather than the adjacent isle.

Agree. In the first instance can anyone shed any more light on this pleases.

https://www.three.fm/news/coronavirus/advice-on-shielding-to-fall-away-from-monday/

Schools to open on Monday, but only for vulnerable children and children of essential workers only is my understanding. Teachers are to be on a rota but many will still be at home I hear. Home learning to continue next week for the rest.

I have been told some head teachers do not agree with HQ about shielding and that it should be continued.

Should all children go back on Monday  and all teachers and let shielding now just "fall away". ?

6 minutes ago, Apple said:

Agree. In the first instance can anyone shed any more light on this pleases.

https://www.three.fm/news/coronavirus/advice-on-shielding-to-fall-away-from-monday/

Schools to open on Monday, but only for vulnerable children and children of essential workers only is my understanding. Teachers are to be on a rota but many will still be at home I hear. Home learning to continue next week for the rest.

I have been told some head teachers do not agree with HQ about shielding and that it should be continued.

Should all children go back on Monday  and all teachers and let shielding now just "fall away". ?

Yes all children should be back & shielding has finished. I think many have been using the shielding excuse to avoid work & still get paid .

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Quote:

We need to respect UK rules as we go through their territory.'

I'll work on the airbridge with Guernsey.

Do more air bridges !!

Edited by snowman

7 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

The Guernsey traffic light system is a good platform and IOM just has to put the countries / regions in the colours.

Yes, it’s not rocket science, look at Jersey & Guernsey and pick one that suits us the best.

1 hour ago, Hmmmm said:

Ashford should really leave the medical matters to those best qualified.  

Agreed.  muddled thinking with a patchwork of ill informed decisions that make a mockery of the general situation most people find themselves in.

I found his whole attitude and position re the Astrazenica clotting issue somewhat unsympathetic and unbalanced.

And that is the  predicament they find themselves in now.  The under 16's will not be immunised for some time (end of this year at earliest and that is an emotive issue in itself) so the potential for the exponential spread remains - the Kent variant has thrown a cure ball.  So with 60% of Adults (92% of first cohorts) with at least one dose and growing daily, what exactly is Comin's hesitation going forward?  I don't think they know how to mitigate, they want eradication but  so long as the children spreading vector remains and new variants threaten, they are buying time.  Perhaps the question to HQ is what percentage of the adult population has to be jabbed before we mitigate and open up?  I doubt he has an answer.  I recall he stated at the beginning of the latest lockdown that if it had occurred a month or so later their response may have been different.  Well we are passed that timeline and I don't believe their response would have been any different. Worse scenario is we open for a short period and then another unknown new outbreak occurs.  How good the vaccines prove to be can only really be judged in 12 months time. There is a clear lack of strategy as to where we are now and more importantly going forward.

Agreed. However, I suspect IOMG main concern is if they open the borders and there is a spike in cases (which on balance I think there will be) is Nobles really up to coping with increased numbers whilst trying to maintain business as usual with normal day-to-day referrals, day cases, surgery etc?? The business as usual part simply has to carry on, we/they can't be held hostage to this virus. It's beatable but they will need to work around or bypass it.

If they haven't already done so then Manx Care/DHSC have got to be prepared and meet that challenge. I haven't seen anything in the public domain yet to suggest that there is any such plan, other than to wait and see what happens and then react.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well Howard has already said that families & friends can come wef end April, maybe no testing for vaccinated residents?

In which case they need to change the regulations for 3a because at the moment neither vaccinations or negative tests are part of that strategy(!).

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

In which case they need to change the regulations for 3a because at the moment neither vaccinations or negative tests are part of that strategy(!).

Considering a paper next week!! Expect a traffic light system based on Guernsey with slight Manx solutions amendment!!

11 minutes ago, Manxas said:

I've just read that a crew member from sailing yacht 1 was on our shores for a medical emergency yesterday. Wonder if any cash exchanged hands?! 

I was going to put a confused emoticon on this, but why does money changing hands even come into it?  And if it did, is that a bad thing?  The crew member may not be eligible for free treatment, but out of humanity if they needed treatment, that is the first priority, if, who and how payment is made is secondary, surely? 

• Like 1