IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I was going to put a confused emoticon on this, but why does money changing hands even come into it?  And if it did, is that a bad thing?  The crew member may not be eligible for free treatment, but out of humanity if they needed treatment, that is the first priority, if, who and how payment is made is secondary, surely? 

I wasn't denying the fact that any medical emergency treatment deserves medical care, that was my point really. In an ideal world, everyone  would have access to free health care and quite rightly. My point really is that our government are so twisted and corrupt that I can imagine them getting a backhander for the help they've given the crew member. 

Edited by Manxas
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, winnie said:

If there's no deterrent, the system will be abused. What do Guernsey do when people refuse to isolate?

We are not in Guernsey, can we not come up with some fresh ideas without having this draconian nonsense threatening folk before they even review the restrictions, Quayle & co have you people scared shitless, there is a light at the end of the tunnel 50% have had a vaccine all vulnerable done by July, let's have some positivity for a change and look forward to a to some freedom for us all to visit family both for here and the adjacent Island's.

• Like 3

What makes you think they could have been charged for medical treatment?  The crew member may have been Manx, or British.  

The fact that the boat is owned by a Russian does not mean that Russians are aboard.  

Most of the time these boats are on charter to others.  The owners probably only spend a few weeks on them in the Med or Caribbean, the rest of the time they are earning money or sailing as crew training / tax dodge.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manxas said:

I wasn't denying the fact that any medical emergency treatment deserves medical care, that was my point really. In an ideal world, everyone  would have access to free health care and quite rightly. My point really is that our government are so twisted and corrupt that I can imagine them getting a backhander for the help they've given the crew member. 

Do you have any evidence of any government official (employed or elected) ever taking a backhander? No you don't! If you have you need to report it to the police rather than making anonymous allegations on web forums.

Its a common position on here that the government doesn't know its arse from its elbow and  is incompetent in most if not all things it does. If there was widespread bribe taking as you suggest, that same government would be surely incapable of hiding it. They can't be bumbling incompetents and Machiavellian criminals at the same time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beelzebub3 said:

We are not in Guernsey, can we not come up with some fresh ideas without having this draconian nonsense threatening folk before they even review the restrictions, Quayle & co have you people scared shitless, there is a light at the end of the tunnel 50% have had a vaccine all vulnerable done by July, let's have some positivity for a change and look forward to a to some freedom for us all to visit family both for here and the adjacent Island's.

I'm in the 'open up club' and had my first jab, so i'm not worried one little bit. I'd drop borders tomorrow if it were my choice, but i'm trying to suggest a system that is acceptable to all, and will actually work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

What makes you think they could have been charged for medical treatment?  The crew member may have been Manx, or British.  

The fact that the boat is owned by a Russian does not mean that Russians are aboard.  

Most of the time these boats are on charter to others.  The owners probably only spend a few weeks on them in the Med or Caribbean, the rest of the time they are earning money or sailing as crew training / tax dodge.

Indeed. What billionaire is going to spend time sailing to Iceland. If he can afford the boat, he'll also have a private jet and can just fly there when the boat arrives. He can then swan around on his boat before jetting off somewhere else.

1 minute ago, winnie said:

I'm in the 'open up club' and had my first jab, so i'm not worried one little bit. I'd drop borders tomorrow if it were my choice, but i'm trying to suggest a system that is acceptable to all, and will actually work.

I am glad of that winnie, we need to put more pressure on the Government to come up with a solution that is suitable for all, we are paying £millions annually for experts to give us some good advice it is high time they earned it and come up with the goods they are paid to deliver, if not get rid!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I am glad of that winnie, we need to put more pressure on the Government to come up with a solution that is suitable for all, we are paying £millions annually for experts to give us some good advice it is high time they earned it and come up with the goods they are paid to deliver, if not get rid!

This government are always too cautious and slow to respond. They're terrified of making a wrong decision so make no decision. Nothing will change unfortunately!!

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think it had to do with a belief that people tend to go to hardware stores for semi-essentials and that they just pop in, buy what they want and then get out.  They may also see them as more sparsely populated at any particular time and so there's more space[1].  And because of the overlap with places already open for trade and with garden centres, maybe it's not seen as making much difference.

In the end I suspect they are really making a puritan distinction between places where you might enjoy shopping (bookshops, clothing and footwear) and those where you have to go.

[1]  Obviously no one who was ever in the old Ken Quine's would take this seriously.

Yes this is a good point. There's lots of madness. At the moment I can go on line and order some plasterboard from the UK and have it delivered here without breaking any rules. However I cannot ring Haldane Fisher and ask them to deliver it from up the road as they are not allowed to.

What made me angry though was that on Tuesday HQ said if things continued as they were then non essential shops could open this Monday. Things have continued as they were (zero cases) but they about turned and put it back a week. Why was this? 

So, I can go into the coop on the Terrace and buy a bunch of flowers, some thorntons continentals and bottle of prosecco. Non essential and in a crowded environment. No problem. But a builders merchant can't deliver me some plaster board. A zero risk activity.

I am not advocating release from all restrictions early but if there are no more cases between now and Monday whats the issue with shops opening and what's the difference between TK max and B&Q. Is there a logic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes this is a good point. There's lots of madness. At the moment I can go on line and order some plasterboard from the UK and have it delivered here without breaking any rules. However I cannot ring Haldane Fisher and ask them to deliver it from up the road as they are not allowed to.

What made me angry though was that on Tuesday HQ said if things continued as they were then non essential shops could open this Monday. Things have continued as they were (zero cases) but they about turned and put it back a week. Why was this? 

So, I can go into the coop on the Terrace and buy a bunch of flowers, some thorntons continentals and bottle of prosecco. Non essential and in a crowded environment. No problem. But a builders merchant can't deliver me some plaster board. A zero risk activity.

I am not advocating release from all restrictions early but if there are no more cases between now and Monday whats the issue with shops opening and what's the difference between TK max and B&Q. Is there a logic.

Guarantee B&Q will be absolutely rammed from Monday!!

2 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

I think we all know that luck played a large part in the relative normality delivered by the elimination strategy, which is fine, everyone needs a little luck from time to time. 

Luck? There was a lot of effort by everyone to give us those months of Covid-free. Where was the luck?

I think it was Henrietta that used the word, and inappropriately at that. It only served the purpose to try and cover up the mismanagement of the situation that got us back where we are.

And you swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Luck? There was a lot of effort by everyone to give us those months of Covid-free. Where was the luck?

I think it was Henrietta that used the word, and inappropriately at that. It only served the purpose to try and cover up the mismanagement of the situation that got us back where we are.

You are both incorrect I think. If you listen to what she said she said we were lucky that given the localities and places that the infected person visited in December that it did not spread further and was able to be contained. The luck part of the whole saga was the bit before we knew there was an outbreak and is the bit over which you have no influence. That's how I interpreted it anyway. Those who want to slate her interpret that she said we were lucky with everything that we did.

With the SPCo fiasco we were not so lucky as whoever was wandering around after their shift managed to do a great job of spreading it. The luck ran out, it couldn't be contained, and now we are all paying the price. Hopefully someone will eventually be taken to task over how it happened.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Or ... we’re all on full wages sat at home doing jack shit & loving life.

The Tory Government dropped a huge clanger of giving 80% furlough.

80% to sit on the  settee, scratch your bollocks and watch boxsets is a fortune. 

50% or less might have been more appropriate but that would be far too much.

A UBI would have focussed the whole nation. Isle of Man should have gone that route - right across the board, including all Government employees, of course.

Yep, we're all in this together.

10 minutes ago, Barlow said:

She said it, inappropriately or not. That's enough for me.

• Like 3