IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Or even green, amber or red bits of the UK

Same as Channel Islands do , it’s obviously partly on trust but if someone is going to try & get around the system well they will but if testing on arrival it picks up a few. Most of UK will be green or amber so no need for people to panic 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Same as Channel Islands do , it’s obviously partly on trust but if someone is going to try & get around the system well they will but if testing on arrival it picks up a few. Most of UK will be green or amber so no need for people to panic 

Mate, it’s a bit late for that.

Pingu has messed himself just thinking about it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Oh I have.

We should be treated no differently to other British Isles passport holders residing within ‘our’ shores.

Are we special?

People arriving in the UK from amber countries are not going to be frogmarched into isolation by UK border guards. They will exit the arrivals area and immediately join the queue for departures to join their IOM flight.

On arrival in the IOM there will be no way of knowing where they have travelled from.

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Mate, it’s a bit late for that.

Pingu has messed himself just thinking about it.

Turning nasty seems to be your go to when your argument is shown to be full of holes?

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yes. Like I keep saying. Anyone who thinks the progression to 3A is a big step or thinks that 3A is of any use to anyone is deluded.  Its a non step and (in the words of 2112) just something to make us think its a concession or move in the right direction. Does anyone really have family members who want to visit them so much they will isolate in a self contained apartment for 2 weeks BEFORE starting their visit. 

Hopefully when we move from 'framework' to an actual plan such nonsense will have been replaced with practicable  measures.

+1. The framework needs to be rewritten in light of the vaccination stats. Isolation should only be for those testing positive on arrival and until they get a negative result.

It's absolutely bonkers, now, to expect families to isolate for the duration of their stay, albeit 14 or 21 days. If any of them are like our family, they are all in full time employment and really won't want to spend their holiday time cooped up if they don't pose a significant risk to anyone else.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

+1. The framework needs to be rewritten in light of the vaccination stats. Isolation should only be for those testing positive on arrival and until they get a negative result.

It's absolutely bonkers, now, to expect families to isolate for the duration of their stay, albeit 14 or 21 days. If any of them are like our family, they are all in full time employment and really won't want to spend their holiday time cooped up if they don't pose a significant risk to anyone else.  

It’s being reviewed, here’s a report on Guernsey plan 

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/03/27/cautious-hopes-for-travel-to-safer-areas/

35 minutes ago, pongo said:

People arriving in the UK from amber countries are not going to be frogmarched into isolation by UK border guards. They will exit the arrivals area and immediately join the queue for departures to join their IOM flight.

On arrival in the IOM there will be no way of knowing where they have travelled from.

Turning nasty seems to be your go to when your argument is shown to be full of holes?

You’re going to have to get your head around to accepting what people say is the truth. I’m not having people deliberately lying about where they’ve been on holiday ffs!

... and the nasty bit. It’s not. It’s a bit of bantz - loosen up. I like you x

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know why people thing the traffic light system will work. The main example of it being used before was to demonstrate that it doesn't.

Anyone got an example of it working for any length of time?

I too think it’s bollocks but there are ways to take a semi-calculated risk.

Consider the countries % of vaccinations completed or at least first dosed, how many have already officially contracted the virus, how many have unofficially had the virus, new infection levels, hospital admissions etc.

It’s mitigation, not elimination.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pongo said:

It would be great to see a return to free movement.

Unfortunately the freedom-hating pro-Brexit brigade voted to take away our right to free movement.

Can you mention a sole country where you can't go because of Brexit specifically?

The kind of "free movement" wanted (or condoned) by supporters of the European Union is the free movement of scroungers: those who, having never lived in any of the British isles, they turn out one day, and from day one they claim all the rights enjoyed by the British born or long time residents.

The free movement of those who pay their way hasn't been disallowed by Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Debbie said:

The free movement of those who pay their way hasn't been disallowed by Brexit.

Brexit has taken away my EU Citizenship. I wasn't even given a vote.

From 2022 we will effectively likely need to apply for visas to visit EU countries. And we can no longer work there without restriction.

Thanks to those who supported Brexit we have lost our rights and freedoms.

Yes I also believe in free enterprise, free competition and the free movement of capital including labour. And I don't care where you were born - or any of that birthright nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know why people thing the traffic light system will work. The main example of it being used before was to demonstrate that it doesn't.

Anyone got an example of it working for any length of time?

Worked in Channel Islands most of last year but any system is not without fault.

Basically you fill in your travel history/arrival form confirming where you’ve been eg only Liverpool region & return by SeaCat. If there’s any doubt over the truth of your details eg they suspect you’ve traveled from say Birmingham which is red they can check details & ask for proof of where you’ve stayed.

If it turns out you lied on arrival form then you are guilty of a criminal offense & potentially a spell in Jurby or heavy fine.