IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Derail?

That statement right there is exactly the sort of paranoid environment that seems to exist these days.

How is it "derailing " anything? Explain that one.

He's a jack of some trades and absolutely master of none.

You'd think that if you're going to announce and pronounce in great detail and length on a matter that involves the death of someone in highly unusual circumstances that a double check on the facts would be in order? 

No matter if you think that no harm has been done I find this particular gaff quite astounding, to be honest.

• Like 3

UK home testing to be scaled back. Accuracy of between 2%-10%. 

Jon Deeks, professor of biostatistics at the University of Birmingham and one of the authors of that review, said the government figures suggested that false positives would outnumber true positives in parts of the country where less than one in 1,000 people have the virus, or 0.1% of the population.

As of last week, according to government figures, England’s prevalence was 0.12% while it was 0.04% in London, 0.02% in the south-east and south-west, and 0.08% in the north-east of England. Deeks said: “When disease is this rare, this is a real waste of resources which could be better used by improving our test, trace and isolate programme.”

Based on the government’s analysis, he said, it would take more than 16,000 tests to find one infected person in London: “If these tests cost £10 each that’s £160,000 to find one person. It shows that this is a complete waste of money at this point.”

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

I’m fairly sure I heard HQ say ‘two deaths is a shame’ or something similar. Not surprising we’re all confused. 

Yes, I am sure he referred to two deaths and I was trying to figure out what he was actually trying to convey.  Obviously, I got it wrong, but it shows that clear communication isn't a strength. 

Anyway, it is good to hear there is no link to the vaccine and there was only one death, but I feel even more for the relatives of both who have had a worrying and upsetting time the subject of inept handling. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

UK home testing to be scaled back. Accuracy of between 2%-10%. 

Jon Deeks, professor of biostatistics at the University of Birmingham and one of the authors of that review, said the government figures suggested that false positives would outnumber true positives in parts of the country where less than one in 1,000 people have the virus, or 0.1% of the population.

As of last week, according to government figures, England’s prevalence was 0.12% while it was 0.04% in London, 0.02% in the south-east and south-west, and 0.08% in the north-east of England. Deeks said: “When disease is this rare, this is a real waste of resources which could be better used by improving our test, trace and isolate programme.”

Based on the government’s analysis, he said, it would take more than 16,000 tests to find one infected person in London: “If these tests cost £10 each that’s £160,000 to find one person. It shows that this is a complete waste of money at this point.”

Yes, I watched a Sky News interview with Prof. Deeks a couple of weeks ago during which he comprehensively slated home testing.