IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Any truth in that Facebook rumour that Covid positive people are being treated at home on Oxygen to avoid being brought into hospital? 

I should know better than to post rumours, but it’s an interesting theory and I don’t know of anyone being treated at home in this way.

• Haha 1

Just now, snowman said:

Bollocks. It's safer to go abroad to many European countries than be in the uk

It's not so much about safety. More about logistics and practicalities. Which will inevitably be a  constantly shifting landscape for months yet.

But we knew back in the winter that it would be like this. Which is why nobody sensible has planned family travel abroad.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pongo said:

It's not so much about safety. More about logistics and practicalities. Which will inevitably be a  constantly shifting landscape for months yet.

But we knew back in the winter that it would be like this. Which is why nobody sensible has planned family travel abroad.

UK traffic light system has been in place since last summer

1 minute ago, snowman said:

UK traffic light system has been in place since last summer

Nobody sensible went abroad last year either.

We've all enjoyed a whole lifetime of world travel. A couple of years off isn't going to hurt. And we're fortunate to live in such an amazing place.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Any truth in that Facebook rumour that Covid positive people are being treated at home on Oxygen to avoid being brought into hospital? 

I should know better than to post rumours, but it’s an interesting theory and I don’t know of anyone being treated at home in this way.

It's not impossible if it's a case that is borderline whether you admit or not.  It's not to hide the case(s) but because once you have Covid-positive patients in hospital you have to set up a dedicated ward for them and so on and in turn this will affect how you treat other patients.

It also means that once you have to admit Covid patients then the number may rise because there is no longer a logistic reason the avoid the marginal cases.

I actually expect us to see some admissions in the next day or so.  Quayle was muttering about them being certain, so it may well have already happened today. 

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not impossible if it's a case that is borderline whether you admit or not.  It's not to hide the case(s) but because once you have Covid-positive patients in hospital you have to set up a dedicated ward for them and so on and in turn this will affect how you treat other patients.

It also means that once you have to admit Covid patients then the number may rise because there is no longer a logistic reason the avoid the marginal cases.

I actually expect us to see some admissions in the next day or so.  Quayle was muttering about them being certain, so it may well have already happened today. 

He also admitted that some of the COVID cases and deaths weren’t because of COVID for the first time

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I was thinking along the same lines, I wasn’t trying to suggest it’s been done deliberately to keep numbers at zero, but it did make me wonder if that’s why we haven’t seen any cases in hospital yet (for all the other reasons you’ve stated)

Obviously if you can treat people at home then that’s the safest thing to do.

Has anyone used private on island PCR testing for international travel ?

I've had notification of negative results in the past (not for the intention to travel)  and there's nothing on the letter about the testing platform. So wondering how such a result letter would be received at the border when traveling. Has anyone got recent information?

3 minutes ago, snowman said:

Has anyone used private on island PCR testing for international travel ?

I've had notification of negative results in the past (not for the intention to travel)  and there's nothing on the letter about the testing platform. So wondering how such a result letter would be received at the border when traveling. Has anyone got recent information?

Private on island consists of test sample being taken here and sent across by courier. Cuts your 48/72 hour time allowance down.

Manx Care 111 do private PCR testing if you can prove international travel. £50 and full internationally recognised certificate. That’s not the same as a negative NHS PCR test result which is exactly same test and platform, even same run, just no certificate of specificity, accuracy, sensitivity 

48 minutes ago, yindyssagh said:

sure, tell us what the known percentage for "herd immunity" is. 

The problem is that herd immunity is a concept that doesn't work with a constantly evolving virus like COVID. 

Antibody data produced by ONS would suggest that vaccine and natural immunity does work to create a 'herd' effect, despite the new variants that have emerged so far.

36 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Its extremely unlikely and even more unlikely to be maintained as a secret. 

I have never known anyone be given emergency oxygen treatment outside a hospital setting

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, yindyssagh said:

sure, tell us what the known percentage for "herd immunity" is. 

The problem is that herd immunity is a concept that doesn't work with a constantly evolving virus like COVID. 

No one can tell you that. It's not like pregnancy. 

The more people who have immunity...the more the herd immunity. 

It's an analogue (relative) measure, not digital. 

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Private on island consists of test sample being taken here and sent across by courier. Cuts your 48/72 hour time allowance down.

Manx Care 111 do private PCR testing if you can prove international travel. £50 and full internationally recognised certificate. That’s not the same as a negative NHS PCR test result which is exactly same test and platform, even same run, just no certificate of specificity, accuracy, sensitivity 

The part in bold is the key bit of info I was after.  Nice to know you get a certificate 

I had already read the site below but was clear in my question

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/on-island-private-covid-19-pcr-test/

Edited by snowman