IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Therefore it can be concluded that weather prevents covid spread

Latest from Manx Radio.. 

On discovering that weather may reduce the spread of COVID-19 on Island, Health Minister David Ashford has announced an ambitious new scheme in co-operation with the Department of Infrastructure. This new scheme will ensure that the Island is furnished year round with a series of weather events. The Minister for Infrastructure was quoted saying “we have engineered a new multi-million pound scheme to ensure a consistent supply of weather to the Island. We will work hard with local businesses to ensure that weather is seasonal, we don’t want to be getting the snow machine out just yet”. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
Spelling
  • Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Infections seem to be levelling if you consider the raw data (Not the 14 day cumulation) but could be just a blip

image.png.ea6186e5c3af15e6c93cdcf9f234b523.png

I think the UK seem to be carrying on with a lot of measures, just with individuals choosing to, rather than it being mandated.

Whereas here, we never really had any interventions like that outside of lockdown. So nipping into Tesco for example, you see maybe 10% wearing masks or keeping out of eachother's way.

I think as we see the impact of nightclubs etc. figures will keep climbing over there. The rate of increase in hospital admissions had been slowing, but has climbed again with the last figures. Admissions in the UK are still up 37.9% on last weeks figures, despite having slowed briefly.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged

I've come to the conclusion that because our incompetent leaders were only able to choose lockdown or no lockdown with no such thing as interim measures or easing that many were asking for over the last 12 months, that businesses are being left in very tough positions in how to run their businesses. I'm confident with the 'national unlocking' and progressing as we are, but the last 12+ months of antics has left businesses ill-prepared for opening under any sort of COVID spread, unlike our neighbours and the Channel Islands.

https://www.facebook.com/kurriesandsteaks/posts/4418031388227194 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think the UK seem to be carrying on with a lot of measures, just with individuals choosing to, rather than it being mandated.

Whereas here, we never really had any interventions like that outside of lockdown. So nipping into Tesco for example, you see maybe 10% wearing masks or keeping out of eachother's way.

I think as we see the impact of nightclubs etc. figures will keep climbing over there. The rate of increase in hospital admissions had been slowing, but has climbed again with the last figures. Admissions in the UK are still up 37.9% on last weeks figures, despite having slowed briefly.

With regard to UK hospital admissions I feel a bit of context is required.  The numbers seem high but are they?

In July 2019 there were 576,000 unplanned (i.e. not elective operations, so these people were admitted with heart attacks, strokes, chest infections etc) hospital admissions in England, so about 18500 per day.  Currently there are about 600 covid admissions per day in the UK, which is predominantly England but a slightly bigger base.  That's about 3% of the total.  We're not distinguishing between 'admitted with' and 'admitted because of' here.  Given the known prevalence of test positive covid is in the region of 1%, it's not entirely surprising if of the expected 18000+ daily admissions a few hundred test positive for covid.

The cases are growing, but does it matter (on a population, not individual level) if not many are really ill with it? Discuss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

With regard to UK hospital admissions I feel a bit of context is required.  The numbers seem high but are they?

In July 2019 there were 576,000 unplanned (i.e. not elective operations, so these people were admitted with heart attacks, strokes, chest infections etc) hospital admissions in England, so about 18500 per day.  Currently there are about 600 covid admissions per day in the UK, which is predominantly England but a slightly bigger base.  That's about 3% of the total.  We're not distinguishing between 'admitted with' and 'admitted because of' here.  Given the known prevalence of test positive covid is in the region of 1%, it's not entirely surprising if of the expected 18000+ daily admissions a few hundred test positive for covid.

The cases are growing, but does it matter (on a population, not individual level) if not many are really ill with it? Discuss.

You're spot on with that. Well put. 

It doesn't matter if people aren't seriously ill.

Once everyone has had the chance of being double jabbed the next step will be carrying on normal life with no iso if positive 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I had an email from both Tesco and B&Q on Sunday to say that despite Monday being ‘freedom day’ mask wearing would be continued in all their stores...... lockdowns aside neither of our local stores have ever encouraged mask wearing.

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

I had an email from both Tesco and B&Q on Sunday to say that despite Monday being ‘freedom day’ mask wearing would be continued in all their stores...... lockdowns aside neither of our local stores have ever encouraged mask wearing.

Auto-generated e-mails from UK retailers don't realise we're not UK

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Infections seem to be levelling if you consider the raw data (Not the 14 day cumulation) but could be just a blip

image.png.ea6186e5c3af15e6c93cdcf9f234b523.png

I did wonder myself the other day that between those who are vaccinated and those with natural immunity how many would be left to contract the damn virus. It must be running out of hosts by now, shirley??

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I did wonder myself the other day that between those who are vaccinated and those with natural immunity how many would be left to contract the damn virus. It must be running out of hosts by now, shirley??

It's people who are vaccinated or who have already had covid that make up most of the positive tests now.  The vast majority of whom are not getting (very) ill.

• Thanks 1