IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

59 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Whenever someone mentions the delta variant I always find that’s a good time to stop any conversation because it’s usually the trump card people play when they haven’t scared anyone enough by talking about standard covid.

Are you sure that it's not because the Delta variant can infect those who have been vaccinated?

Putting back herd immunity and the "new normal" with it.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I hope so.  The current situation is a bit odd.  I popped over on the boat this weekend.  Over there, life seems pretty much normal.  Over here, life is pretty much normal.  But on the boat it's masks, queue up once you're off (this side) to have your vaccine exemption scanned and show your ID.  I don't see much point in all this given that our rates of covid and the uk rates of covid are comparable. 

On the boat it's mixing indoors with folks in close proximity.

We were on the first "2+2" sailing. The boat was rammed. Very few masks and no social distancing.

We didn't enjoy the experience.

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Are you sure that it's not because the Delta variant can infect those who have been vaccinated?

There is no herd immunity with coronaviruses. What there is is a degree of population immunity meaning people aren't going to get too sick and you can just get on with it. You are going to contract the virus, that is your 'new normal'.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I hope so.  The current situation is a bit odd.  I popped over on the boat this weekend.  Over there, life seems pretty much normal.  Over here, life is pretty much normal.  But on the boat it's masks, queue up once you're off (this side) to have your vaccine exemption scanned and show your ID.  I don't see much point in all this given that our rates of covid and the uk rates of covid are comparable. 

As has been shown in no uncertain terms, The Steam Packet is Isle of Man's archilles heel, although paradoxically it is our strongest defence too. Having screwed up once big time, I don't blame the powers that be in doing what they are doing, and they at least theoretically keep some control of the situation.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Would you rather we were back to Jan/Feb/Mar last year? Vaccinations are working. End of. They may need some tweaking in the coming months but they are keeping people out of hospital and from serious illness. The same can't be said for influenza/pneumonia. Over 1K people/week have been dying of that for quite some time. But no one seems interested in that.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, P.K. said:

On the boat it's mixing indoors with folks in close proximity.

We were on the first "2+2" sailing. The boat was rammed. Very few masks and no social distancing.

We didn't enjoy the experience.

Just stay indoors if you’re concerned for health & never go on boat again.

All restrictions will be ending shortly, & the whining minority can stock up bunkers.

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

Just stay indoors if you’re concerned for health & never go on boat again.

All restrictions will be ending shortly, & the whining minority can stock up bunkers.

The Steam Packet should be managing it a lot better than they did on that trip.

I want to be able to figure out the risks. But I can't. Hence:

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

What I would like to see is the age and vaccination status of those being infected/hospitalised. It's just a bit difficult to make balanced decisions on personal risk without knowing all the facts.

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What exactly would you do with that information? 

Relate it to our own circumstances.

They already report the age demographic but I would like to see the vaccination status on falling ill, how badly they were infected and any underlying conditions.

It there's a match we obviously need to be more careful. Be stupid not to.

11 minutes ago, P.K. said:

They already report the age demographic but I would like to see the vaccination status on falling ill, how badly they were infected and any underlying conditions.

I fail to see what difference it makes. 

The facts are pretty clear, and the same patterns are repeated pretty much everywhere.

17 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Just be careful anyway, you'd be stupid not to. Being in possession of such information won't make you or anyone else safer. It won't alter behaviour. It'll probably be wrong anyway, just like Ashford's dashboard, only adding to the confusion. Little point in introducing a whole raft of shtatishtics just to satisfy curiosity, because that's all it would amount to. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I fail to see what difference it makes. 

The facts are pretty clear, and the same patterns are repeated pretty much everywhere.

The more info you have the more likely you are to make the right decision. Basic stuff.

The facts aren't that clear. I can understand avoiding identifying folks by their medical condition but general info such as I have mentioned can't do any harm. For example if all those in hospital haven't had any vaccines it's worth knowing.

• Like 1

Just now, P.K. said:

The more info you have the more likely you are to make the right decision. Basic stuff.

The facts aren't that clear. I can understand avoiding identifying folks by their medical condition but general info such as I have mentioned can't do any harm. For example if all those in hospital haven't had any vaccines it's worth knowing.

For what? What for? You have a plan to go see someone in Leicester say, you going to pour over hospitalisations and deaths before you go? 'Oh they've had 100 deaths over the last month, and 23 of them were fully vaccinated but over 70, better not go'? Crazy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

For what? What for? You have a plan to go see someone in Leicester say, you going to pour over hospitalisations and deaths before you go? 'Oh they've had 100 deaths over the last month, and 23 of them were fully vaccinated but over 70, better not go'? Crazy.

Actually it's for folks coming over here.

All I'm asking for is simple details that are available but not published. Why shouldn't they be? It's called transparency of which there is far too little of over here.

Nothing anyone else needs to get into a lather about mind...

• Like 3