IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I am in the grave dodging age group and have six friends that have come down with Covid in the last two weeks.   They seem to be lucky as have described it as like a dose of flu and none seem to be badly affected, they have all had their two jabs so this may have saved them from serious illness.

There is a lot of it about. I think some fully vaccinated people have had it but just put it down to cold/flu.

12 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It is a bloody disgrace, even in the worst norovirus/flu seasons where staffing has been decimated children were able to attend, but as we tacitly accepted the use of kids 'remote learning' during the peak pandemic, it has become part of the governments 'toolkit' and will be used more and more whenever it there is a slight issue. Give them an inch... 

I think it is more teachers and unions toolkit than government. 

Besdes, rather than rotate attendance, why not have the "sick" teachers teach from home? 

Earlier this week there were 23 teachers off sick at Balla. They tried to work it with cover teachers etc, but it just wasn't viable. Years 9 & 10 proposed as they are old enough to stay at home and don't have exams this year. Frankly I don't see what else they could do?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

How many of these secondary school children that have tested positive from LFTs are asymptomatic? Is Public Health keeping such records? Any records, in fact? 

Most based on my kids and their friends.  Nearly all have only found out they have had it from regular testing at home which would suggest those who aren’t testing at home are wandering around helping the others gain a level of natural immunity.

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You wouldn’t want to be the new education Minister. The way the schools have coped is woeful. You get the impression that they rather wouldn’t cope as there isn’t really any appetite. Neither has any further progress been made on virtual lessons. As they often say .. if you can’t ‘do’ then you teach. 

I think you will find there is a limit to how few teachers/pupil you are allowed to fall to. If the teachers are sick and all the supply teachers are utilised what else is there to do. 

Its a temporary blip as the virus is running wild through the schools. It was bound to happen and its not the end of the world. Some teachers are genuinely getting ill and some have been forced to isolate.

Some people just moan for the sake of moaning. Its real I am afraid and there is no magic answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

You wouldn’t want to be the new education Minister. The way the schools have coped is woeful. You get the impression that they rather wouldn’t cope as there isn’t really any appetite. Neither has any further progress been made on virtual lessons. As they often say .. if you can’t ‘do’ then you teach. 

For a school to close, or send year groups home, the minister has to give approval. It is unlikely that he would be complicit in some sort of skive. Schools were meant to get funding to set up e-learning years ago, so any home learning could continue the curriculum properly, not just for mass sickness but also for children with long term illness etc. The government did not provide the funding, so each school had ad hoc arrangements that unsurprisingly were sometimes poor.

2 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

Most based on my kids and their friends.  Nearly all have only found out they have had it from regular testing at home which would suggest those who aren’t testing at home are wandering around helping the others gain a level of natural immunity.

True story from last week. Teacher had one child left in her class. She said 'You're the only one without Covid in the class,' to which he replied, 'Yes, I'm the only one at home who hasn't got it too.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Cambon said:

Looking for a six week half term, more like! 

Nothing like a stereotypical and ill informed view for a Friday afternoon

I'm not a teacher and I wouldn't want to be one, but I know plenty and I have sympathy for the difficult jobs they have and the fact that they have had to mix with 00's of potentially ill kids over the last few weeks. Every single teacher I know has contracted it recently.

Only someone who is out of touch with reality would make the comments you are making. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Happier diner said:

Nothing like a stereotypical and ill informed view for a Friday afternoon

I'm not a teacher and I wouldn't want to be one, but I know plenty and I have sympathy for the difficult jobs they have and the fact that they have had to mix with 00's of potentially ill kids over the last few weeks. Every single teacher I know has contracted it recently.

Only someone who is out of touch with reality would make the comments you are making. 

And, you call me I'll informed? These teachers at home are not necessarily sick. They have tested positive for Covid 19. That does not mean they are in ICU. Most are probably sat out in the lovely October sun right now. 

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

And, you call me I'll informed? These teachers at home are not necessarily sick. They have tested positive for Covid 19. That does not mean they are in ICU. Most are probably sat out in the lovely October sun right now. 

They would be doing DIY but most of those me got a complete makeover last year.  At least they have their garden rooms and bars to sit in while they are “sick”

• Like 1