IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

So hypothetically we find out it’s more transmissible but less serious (still making people ill but not killing people) so how do they step back will there be a press conference saying you don’t need to wear masks now etc?  I think how they get back to “normal” is going to prove to be quite difficult 

Don't worry, Boris is used to back-tracking... he's made it an art form!

• Like 4

Not sure I’m comfortable with the headteacher style tone.
DB83281E-DCCD-48CA-A535-0C4C2BDEE332.jpeg

We had tests at home, the first of which we got from the UK as IOM didn’t have any at the time (while telling people to take them) We ran out before leaving for UK. If arrivals from UK now need to do an LFT within 12 hours (wording seems a bit wishy washy. “Commit to”. What does that mean?) and there are boats and flights arriving in the evening, the most logical move would be to offer them at the port of arrival (as the IOMG account tweeted a little later). Are tourists supposed to bring their own too? Are hotels stocked up with them? I finally got the website for the collect code to work and will pick some up here as well. Truth is the variant is most likely already on IOM but we don’t do genome testing anymore right? So we won’t actually know? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The problem is, we don’t know if it’s more transmissible, and more likely to evade vaccination, but it looks like it is. 

Our current vaccines may be less effective towards omicron. I haven’t read anything  about the virus completely evading them. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Not sure I’m comfortable with the headteacher style tone.
DB83281E-DCCD-48CA-A535-0C4C2BDEE332.jpeg

We had tests at home, the first of which we got from the UK as IOM didn’t have any at the time (while telling people to take them) We ran out before leaving for UK. If arrivals from UK now need to do an LFT within 12 hours (wording seems a bit wishy washy. “Commit to”. What does that mean?) and there are boats and flights arriving in the evening, the most logical move would be to offer them at the port of arrival (as the IOMG account tweeted a little later). Are tourists supposed to bring their own too? Are hotels stocked up with them? I finally got the website for the collect code to work and will pick some up here as well. Truth is the variant is most likely already on IOM but we don’t do genome testing anymore right? So we won’t actually know? 

The government appointed contractors are struggling to keep up with demand, according to reports but why don’t they get more contractors?

Guernsey have at ports but are charging £25 for pack of 10 which you have to pay for before arrival 

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The WHO put it quite simply, until there’s evidence to show otherwise, then we can assume it’s got the same symptoms as any other variant.

The problem is, we don’t know if it’s more transmissible, and more likely to evade vaccination, but it looks like it is. 

I think Boris reacting quickly and decisively concerned more people than the variant itself. That’s a fundamental change of tune for him. 

Given his latest fuck ups and cover ups  he couldn't risk any more disasters really , the useless greedy corrupt fat fuck.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m no expert but common sense would tell me that if this O variant is a lot more contagious then wouldn’t that suggest that more people will get it and symptoms or not, will have to isolate and that is is going to hit all sectors hard? Nothing to do with the government or it’s response and more about the virus itself? 

Unless you’re suggesting that no one isolates and it’s allowed to spread right through the community unchecked? Is that what you think would be best? 

I think I and quite a lot of others would think that is what would be best.  It is basically what is happening anyway as only a minority of people are bothering to do LFTs although obviously  now people have to pretend they have when coming back on island by some weird system they still seem to be figuring out.

More people who get it with no or mild symptoms = more long term protection in the community.

• Like 4

Out of interest, anyone know what's going on with the 3rd boosters on the Isle for the over 40s?

All the old people I know (60+) seem to have had theirs. 

I don't know anyone in the 40+ group that seems to even have an appointment.

45 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Maybe if manx independent carriers cant cope with the LFT deliveries, then the Post Office should be given a proportion, maybe 50% to ease the burden? 

Hang on theres skips full of them somewhere ,  that incident seems to have gone quiet , but what a waste of test kits and now at a time when they are really needed ,