IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

No! Why would you shove it down your throat when leaflet says swab your nose?

If you ignore the point about where you should shove the swab, it might perhaps be a concern that someone could show negative in their nose but positive in their throat?. Maybe that explains the number of people I see wandering about with a mask only over their mouth...... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Zarley said:

As of two days ago the London covid hospitalisation rate has gone up 53%. The overall increase in the UK seems to be around 40%.

There are always going to be people who need to be hospitalised due to covid. Thanks to the vaccine, many don't become that ill. 

However when you have a large percentage of the population who are infected, you're going to see an increase in vulnerable people also being infected (many despite their best efforts) and ending up in hospital. You're also going to see an increase in the unvaxxed in hospital due to covid.

How some people don't see this is beyond me. 

Hospitalisation has gone up 53%, or the rate has? To clarify I mean hospitalisations per x number of infected. 

13 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Why would someone even try that? Is that some sort of social media hype type thing? Only a matter of time if that carries on that someone drops the swab down their throat and causes more issues than Covid would.

Some of the LFTs for home use were tonsil swabs. More a UK thing than a here thing though I thought.

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

No! Why would you shove it down your throat when leaflet says swab your nose?

The instructions vary depending on what test pack you have got and what the instructions say. Some say throat then nose, some say nose only. 

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ramseyboi said:

I've watched the nasal swabbing. The first sign that the recipient is baulking when the swab enters the nose the swab is removed and the process incomplete. Same with the throat. Especially so with the molly-coddled little twerps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

See WTF's post below. And did you bother reading the Guardian link relating to this? 

This is what happens. After initial use a lot are stuffed into pockets and bags to be reused. The ffp3 can be washed and reused until it falls apart.

Ah Well now you see, I did this last year, with my own hospital standard surgical mask under the ffp3. The guy at the desk saw me unwrap them both as new and fit them outside the revolving-door. When I entered he wanted the surgical mask removed and replaced with one he had. The exact same surgical mask. I didn't argue then either. He said nothing when I put the ffp3 on over the one he'd given me.

I did post about the experience earlier-on in the thread. And my main thrust is about hospital staff not being offered the most effective protection.

Perhaps the guys at the hospital entrance have no idea if your mask is genuine, or some crap Chinese imitation.There are all sorts of cheap masks on eBay. 

2 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Perhaps the guys at the hospital entrance have no idea if your mask is genuine, or some crap Chinese imitation.There are all sorts of cheap masks on eBay. 

Maybe, but as my post indicates, my main point is that hospital staff aren't being offered the best available protection. Did you read the Guardian article..? 

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Why would someone even try that? Is that some sort of social media hype type thing? Only a matter of time if that carries on that someone drops the swab down their throat and causes more issues than Covid would.

One of the symptoms of omicron is a sore throat so it would seem to make sense to go where the infection is present. You wouldn't swab your nose for an STI in your nether regions.